It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron Diaz and 'That Mao Bag'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Story Here

Well .. a whi8le back when Cameron Diaz was in China she purchased a handbag. The bag had Maoist writings on it. Fast forward to this past week when she went to Peru with the bag. There had been a bit of a skirmish down there in the past that resulted in the deaths of 70,000 people. If I understand correctly - the symbol and wording on Camerons bag were (unintentionally) supportive of those who were responsible for the deaths of all those people.

I may have gotten this wrong .. but I think that's what happened.

She apologized for carrying the bag around Peru.

Side topic - Slave labor in China.

We try to avoid items made in China. Even Happy-Meal type toys. Many of these things are made by slave laborers - political prisoners. At least, that's what I have been told.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
That really is just a lot of PC BS.

It's a bag for dog's sake!

As for the slave labour, it's the way that great countries get to be great. By the suffering of the millions the hundreds shall have it Suh Weeet!

Can you honestly say there are no slaves in your country?

I can't, but then I'm in China! Doh!

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
That really is just a lot of PC BS.

Dunno. Apparently the Peruvians were highly upset with Ms. Diaz.
I'm not 'up' on the mao revolt thing .. but apparently a lot of people
died back in the 1980s over it.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If it was some fat retired burger flipper from Florida, they wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Side note: I'd really like to go to Peru, but I'd best not take the wife she's Chinese. (I might offend someone)

Mountains and Molehills.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Mountains and Molehills? Tell that to the victims of the Shining Path Revolutionaries...oh you can't...they're mostly all dead.

No slave labour in China? No, maybe not, but when you are paid pennies a day, it's close.

edited because I can't spell today, and too lazy to use spell checker.

[edit on 26-6-2007 by seagull]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It was a cool looking bag but why on earth would you buy a bag with writing on it without finding out what the writing means? That could have meant any number of things.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealOrNot
why would you buy a bag with writing on it without finding out what the writing means?

Good lesson for everyone eh? I would have thought this was a no-brainer... but apparently not. If you are going to wear something .. make sure you know what it says first.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
That's nothing.

I see loads of old cleaning ladies wandering around Hong Kong wearing T-shirts that say

"My dic5 would like to buy you a drink."

Mountains and molehills was with reference to the fact that it only made the news cos CD is a known person and not a burger flipper.

You can't be bothered to use spell checker and not to fussed about reading the whole thread either eh?

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I couldn't care less about Cameron Diaz, and her bag of wonders.

Your downplaying of the Shining Path guerrilla movement was what triggered my response. I've heard stories of the atrocities they've carried out, hair-raising is one way to put it, sickening is another.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Fine let us cling to the past like it's all we got!

And the next time I see a German I'll beat the pants off em for my Grandfather's brothers and cousins.

I wasn't trying to down play anything, I was mostly just trying to point out that the story was self promoting BS. Oh Cameron Diaz she's famous lets milk her name for the sake of something that happened 20 odd years ago. Thus making a mountain out of a molehill over a god darn bag. Which there was no need to do.

No Need I tell You!

I'm not saying we should forget the past, but we shouldn't dwell on it or the pain it causes. Learn from it. Move on. Make the future a better place for those that remain.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Fine let us cling to the past like it's all we got!

Considering that 70,000 people died because of this ... 20 years ago isn't that far in 'the past'. It is stall a raw wound.

Don't live in the past because that will bog a person down .. but at the same time you have to be respectful of something deadly and serious that basically JUST HAPPENED and not wave it in someone's face.

She says she didn't know what was on her bag.
I guess I believe her. She apologized.

So why are these bags being sold anyways?

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Forgetting the past usually leads to repeating it in some form or another.

She didn't know what was on the bag, ok, I actually do believe her. She's so PC that its probably true.

Living in the past is a bad thing, I'd agree with that...but so is ignoring it.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ok so the bag had a slogan that was supportive of a movement responsible for 70,00 deaths in Peru. And she carried it in Peru.

I don't think this is over reaction at all.

How long before you think it would be safe to carry a bag with a slogan supporting the 911 WTC attacks? In New York? 20 years?

Doubtful.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Did she or anyone in her entourage have any idea that this bag would cause a hoo haa, hmmm it's possible considering their where there to shoot a programme.

The slogan it's self is not offensive, and how many Peruvians can read Chinese?

I'm sorry, if people think I'm being disresprctful to the poor souls who died during this er conflict.

BUT

If this was an average Joe or Jolene then nothing would have been said and no one would have given a hoot. The news story is not in the news because someone has been offended it is there because of the personality involved.

It's quite possible that some clever advertising guy/girl has just got a huge bonus out of other people suffering.

Media manipulation sucks.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Well, it couldnt have happened to a finer person than Cameron

I have a Tshirt with a chinese symbol and i wonder what it could be!!

I should wear it to the nearest Chinese restaurant and watch for the fingerpointing, either laughter or a very upset chinese person.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I have a Tshirt with a chinese symbol and i wonder what it could be!!

I should wear it to the nearest Chinese restaurant and watch for the fingerpointing, either laughter or a very upset chinese person.

Seem to recall an urban legend of that sort. A woman wearing chinese character earrings or a necklace or worse yet a tattoo. She is approached by a old Chinese man who informs her that the symbol identifies her as a prostitute.

B.

top topics

join