It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project: Building muscle with the mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Project: Building muscle with the mind

Over the years I have become and activist in building muscle, building strength/speed/endurance/ and explosiveness. I found out that just building the muscle will never be enough if you want greatness. There is a mind body connection; it has been proven that a positive thought is more powerful than a negative thought. The will of a person and the concentration of a specific task or overall wellbeing can be projected through the mind and into the body. Lets go with an example…sports wise, we see bodybuilders off al types gain supreme, some of the greats like Arny always had a powerful will to succeed (ok lets forget about the steroids) but there is also a mental aspect, you have to have the will to pump that wait for and extra rep before giving out…to say no I will not quite I will go the distance. We see this with Olympic athletes all the time that get into the zone, when they do this they block out everything, the cheering crowd becomes faint and still and they go for the goal.

I would like to take this to a different approach, let’s call this the mind healing the body connection. You know its crazy when you see how many people always let themselves down, if they get sick or stricken with cancer they thinks it’s the end. There are of course a select few tha drive themselves to beat the cancer, lance Armstrong “On October 2, 1996, Armstrong was diagnosed with stage three testicular cancer. Since there was a late diagnosis, the cancer had grown, spreading to his lungs, abdomen and brain. Armstrong chose to undergo a more dangerous chemotherapy because, if he survived, it would allow him to resume his career. His doctors told him that he had less than a 50% chance of living. After his recovery, one of his doctors told him that his actual odds of living had been considered to be smaller, around 3%, and that he had been given the estimate primarily to give him hope. Three years later, after much recuperation and the loss of his right testicle, he went on to win his first Tour de France title.” You think this was just a system of the odds being on his side, no it was his mental will power, mind over body…it does exist, athletes and people that have survived horrible accidents prove it, it is time use it yourselves.

I really don’t want to explain the whole how the body can control white blood cells, heal people with cancer, people that have been paralyzed, maybe even aids and such. So let’s just get to the point.

I want you to help me with an experiment involving mental visualization, and semi meditation to help you increase and build muscle. I would also suggest that people take up meditation any form of meditation as this will help allot.

What I want is to see and help people develop Autogenic traits and a Psychoneuroimmunologic relationship with the mind and the body. What that means is basically if you tell your mind to do something it will do it. In conjunction with your training I want you to add a new training session, when you go home at night or if you want you can do this in the morning or whenever.
The routine: Pump up chair
I want you to sit down and relax, close your eyes and imagine yourself inside a room in your mind. Here there is a chair, a very comfortable chair that you can sit. When you sit in the chair I want you to image that there is an air hose coming from the chair and into both of your arms, when you are nice and comfortable I want you to imagine that you press a button near your index finger on the chair and it starts the chair. You will see the air hose will start to fill up with air and the air will enter your arms and into your whole body, the air will in sense pump up your arms, legs, back, abs, chest, calves, forearms…basically every part of your body in a way that you are doing a entire body workout, but imagine that this air that is coming in is not only pumping up your body but is also building the muscle and healing your body.
Imagine that you can feel the vibrations as you sit in the chair, you can feel the pump and see your entire body start to swell, you are telling your muscles to grow and swell up, you say to yourself that THEY WILL DO THIS, YOUR BODY WILL GROW, and in fact it has already grown.

I want you to do this for 30 min to 1 hour a day for 6 weeks every day, and post your results after the six weeks if you chose to do this you can continue till you reach 3 months, then every three months post your results. Once you reach a 12 months you can stop...that is if you want to…lol

Also keep a positive attitude about this, tell yourself it is working every time, and do the pump up chair routine every day EVERYDAY.

So basically:

- workout like normal
- Pump up chair routine everyday (30-60min)
- Keep a positive attitude
- Try to get into meditation
- Believe in this
- Check back in 6 weeks, then continue for the rest of the year

Please post if you want to do this, also I would suggest that to keep your mind on this make a poster or set up a alarm that tells you when you need to do this and to keep a good attitude about this…For all you know this maybe what you need, think of it as mental steroids without the bad effects.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Bravo ATSGUY, I agree with everything you said. It's all about the mind body spirit connection. As far as building muscle, strength, endurance, speed and flexibility, I have been doing a similar thing to what you propose. Keep a positive attitude and you will be able to accomplish anything you want.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thanks thehumbleone, i really think that these days people dont realize the spiritual connection we can have, hopefully that will change or for the people that want to change will realize this...keep up the good work

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This is really interesting, and I will definitely keep an eye on this thread.

A few years ago (no link, sorry) there was a study done in Japan along similar lines. They had two groups of subjects on the same weight-training routine; the weights were the same, but one group was told that the weights they were using were 20 lbs heavier than they really were.

At the end of the study, the group who were told their weights were heavier had gained a significant amount of muscle mass over the group that were told the correct amounts of weight.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
This is really interesting, and I will definitely keep an eye on this thread.

A few years ago (no link, sorry) there was a study done in Japan along similar lines. They had two groups of subjects on the same weight-training routine; the weights were the same, but one group was told that the weights they were using were 20 lbs heavier than they really were.

At the end of the study, the group who were told their weights were heavier had gained a significant amount of muscle mass over the group that were told the correct amounts of weight.

Alright.... a few things wrong with this... There are many different variables that go into gaining muscle mass that needs to be taken into account first. First thing a mind that wont easily give up, ya gotta stick to your workout routines even if you dont see the gains right away... ya gotta keep at it.. So in that sense haveing a "stronger" mentality is true. The healthier the thought, the better chance you have in regards to getting to your ideal physic.

Now what goes into gaining muscle mass? If you said the lifting part your only partly correct. When your lifting heavy weights your actually tearing or breaking down your muscles.. You actually dont gain muscle during your workouts. Its during your muscles recovery time (usually the day after a heavy workout) that you actually gain any form of muscle mass because this is when your muscles start to recover. Now its important to consume protein especially during your muscles recovery time. This will pack on healthy newer muscle faster and better then ever before. This is why protein is so important. How much protein do you need a day? Well the average person (meaning none lifters) can take there current weight in kilograms and multiply that by .8. There you should get your amount of protein that you should consume on a daily basis. Now for you lifters out there it should be more. To find out what you should consume at the very least you should take your weight in kg and multiply it by 1.7-1.8. So if you weigh...lets say 170lbs (77.3kg), you should consume about 149-150 grams of protien per day. I as in myself consume about 200 grams of protein a day. Which is more then that. however i weigh 217lbs (6'4), and im into lifting. So if anyone has any more questions about that just hit me up.

Now dizzy as you can see the success of this one team can be attributed to many other things that helped them to come out on top of the other team. Heavier weights means more intense workouts, and If they eat accordingly (no fast food, yuck) then they should have came out on top.

But a healthy state of mind is important for anything. Having a good one for weight lifting will help you reach whatever personal goal you set for yourself.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
oh and the meditation thing wont work. I dont see how meditating and sitting around thinking happy thoughts will tear your muscle down (which ive already gone into great detail about). I agree that having a strong state of mind is important. But you wont gain muscle by just that alone. You have to actually go out and do some physical lifting followed by a healthy diet in order to gain any muscle mass. Consistency is also important (strong state of mind will help consistency) failure to stay consistent will set you up for failure.

[edit on 073030p://3206pm by semperfoo]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Now dizzy as you can see the success of this one team can be attributed to many other things that helped them to come out on top of the other team.

Ummm it's Duzey not dizzy, thanks.

I'm aware of how building muscle mass works. The point behind the experiment was to see if believing the weights to be heavier would be enough to create more muscle mass. Not by creating muscle out of thin air, but by the muscles tearing more because the person truly believes they are using heavier weights. Mind over matter and all that....

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
oh and the meditation thing wont work. I dont see how meditating and sitting around thinking happy thoughts will tear your muscle down (which ive already gone into great detail about). I agree that having a strong state of mind is important. But you wont gain muscle by just that alone. You have to actually go out and do some physical lifting followed by a healthy diet in order to gain any muscle mass. Consistency is also important (strong state of mind will help consistency) failure to stay consistent will set you up for failure.

[edit on 073030p://3206pm by semperfoo]

ATSGUY never said anything about not working out. He mentioned to work out as one usually does, he only said to add meditation and positive thoughts to the mix. The Japanese experiment Duzey mentioned is also very interesting, don't you think?

I am a big believer in the power of the mind, just look at the story of Lance Armstrong. The mind is the most powerful too on earth.

top topics

join