It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI to restrict student freedoms

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Disturbing to say the least. I work with ATF weekly (form 4 and 5s) and even they think the FBI is full of retards. Giving those idiots that much power is a BAD thing. The fact they are spending more on the drug war than terror says it all.
me thinks someone at CIA leaked this to get some fresh faces at the farm.....FBI looks bad too students and CIA apps rise...CIA looks bad and FBI apps go up..so I have heard, maybe wrong

[edit on 26-6-2007 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
I think the best link of the group is the FBI site:
www.fbi.gov...
It doesn't seem to display anything other than a common sense approach. Some people will believe anything they read, as long as it's not from a reputable source

Just to make a point: Considering all of the shenannigans perpetrated by the government ever since the "Cold War Era" up until now, could you really believe, at face value, anything sourced from the Government?

Originally posted by SportyMB
It does not say anyone or every student, only that select few I mentioned above....in addition to the already employed government workers who have clearances. It's the same guidelines that has been around for years.

So you're implying that maybe their not doing proper security background checks before letting people into classified projects? Back in the 80's & 90's (Ya' know...Daddy Bush & Gulf War 1?), I was in a classified rate in the Navy. They did all those checks before letting me even attend my 'A' & 'C' schools.

Not to mention that the Patriot Act can be (& probably has been) used to classify the American People to be "enemies of the State" as well. The government plans things one step at a time...A little bit here, a little bit there...This is how Germany became a Nazi State under Hitler.

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
me thinks someone at CIA leaked this to get some fresh faces at the farm.....FBI looks bad too students and CIA apps rise...CIA looks bad and FBI apps go up..so I have heard, maybe wrong

Heh...Reminds me; When my term of duty was nearly over, the CIA was looking over people for applications. They were especially interested in either recently-discharged military or military near end of term. They seemed impressed that I had already been serving in a classified rate.

They mentioned using lie detector testing during recruitment...That wasn't what turned me off, but they later said something along the lines of, "Sounds contradictory that we'd first test your honesty but then expect you to live a lie...But that's the way it is."
I must be too honest for my own good...

To reiterate what I've said above; Can we really trust anything the Government says?

[edit on 26-6-2007 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
So you're implying that maybe their not doing proper security background checks before letting people into classified projects?

Not at all, I'm not implying anything. I thought you would understand the need for periodic background checks and the importance of keeping an eye out...not looking for any suspicious activities, or going on a witch hunt, or anything like that...just keeping an eye out.

I'm saying that the most indepth background and security checks can never ensure 100% where someone's loyalty lies. Obviously the system we have know is working good.....we don't hear of too many spy stories. However, there is always room for improvement. Many people have been exploited by FIA's....the system is not 100%, no system is.

It's important for persons who have access to sensitive material to be armed with the knowledge to know what the indicators of possible espionage are and to know what to do if ever made aware or confronted with anything like that. Which is what the documents are about.

Back in the 80's & 90's (Ya' know...Daddy Bush & Gulf War 1?), I was in a classified rate in the Navy. They did all those checks before letting me even attend my 'A' & 'C' schools.

It's always before, what's your point? Do you hire a babysitter with no intentions of periodically checking up on them? Didn't think so. Why do banks get audited? To make sure theyr'e not slippin' and to keep people honest. Well this is the same thing, it's not on any large scale, only applies to a few people and it's in place to make sure people don't start slipping with their loyalties and it keeps them honest.

I once took a class on ways to tell if someone is an alcoholic. The class went over signs and indicators, etc... very similar to the counter espionage class in the OP. Just cause I had that class it doesn't mean that I go out looking for alcoholics or anything. It's just means that if confronted with one I stand a better chance of indentifying and recognizing them because I have been made aware and armed with the knowledge to do so.

Not to mention that the Patriot Act can be (& probably has been) used to classify the American People to be "enemies of the State" as well. The government plans things one step at a time...A little bit here, a little bit there...This is how Germany became a Nazi State under Hitler.

MD, I agree man
The Patriot Act is the real deal that is robbing us of our liberties and rights. But this is NOT the Patriot Act, this is nothing new and the OP and others have twisted what the real puspose of it is for.

To reiterate what I've said above; Can we really trust anything the Government says?

lol..NO, ok maybe a little, but that's it

But I do expect them to keep us safe and by doing so would require safeguarding sensitive information. This is a small step that many in the intelligence community, including college kids working on special or classified projects, do to keep everyone honest.

[edit on 26/6/2007 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I read the entire article and all I see is fear mongering to instill more federal control.

But they tell you its to save you from a threat. There is no threat, threat from who? Al Queda?

Please come on, learn your history, Al Queda does not even exist as you know it, if by Al Queda you mean rogue resistance cells, than yea Al Queda is everywhere.

And yes we should fear people who work odd hours, who are absent, and wear levis jeans and carry cellphones and bookbags, the FBI says in its own documents, and you people think they actually care about you, and wanna protect you, from a threat they created anyways, by making everyone paranoid of each other and suspicious of terrorist activity.

And of course the article wont tell you the full scoop, theyll tell you what the FBI tells them to tell you, tell them its for people who pose a threat, tell them its for Al Queda, tell them its for their protection, gimme a break.

If Al Queda exists, they are not a threat to Americam power. Period. You can squash some resistance cell with relative ease, the war is not about fighting terrorists, the war on terror is exactly that, its a war to make everybody afraid, its not a war on terrorists, its a war on terror.

So if you would give up your liberty for security, you dont deserve neither. You cant be secure unless you have your god given rights as a human being.

This is just one front in the war, they have so many other things they are doing to restrict freedoms, people pay no attention to that though.

Its like Cheney saying he isnt accountable to his own laws, I mean they are declaring it now, they are above the law, this government is not constitutional, in fact, they LIE to you on a constant regular basis, INCLUDING about this!

So I guess students can be terrorists, I guess Al Queda can pose as students, this is the height of paranoia, and you people have bought into it, got you suspicious of terrorists when you know damn well there are no terrorists around. The only real terrorists occupy positions of power in Washington and New York, in order to put fear in your mind, so youll just shrug off whatever new measures they take to increase their control.

Its not so much restricting us as it is increasing their control.

[edit on 26-6-2007 by LightWorker13]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWorker13
Please come on, learn your history, Al Queda does not even exist as you know it, if by Al Queda you mean rogue resistance cells, than yea Al Queda is everywhere.

You really should not twist the article and add in factors that have nothing to do with it.....like AQ.

What does this article have to do with AQ? Nothing. The OP and it's links are not talking about AQ or terrorist cells, it's talking about protecting sensitive injformation. It's not about the war on terror, it's about ensuring that the FEW who this applies to are safe from foreign intelligence agencies who try to recruit people to spy on their own country.

I still don't see where Al Queda fits in to this? It's not a fear mongering tool as it only applies to a very select few and even then they only have something to worry about if theyr'e guilty of espionage.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Espionage for who, Al Queda obviously, arent they the entire reason your fighting a war on terror?

These new draconian measures are meant to instill fear, I really dont see how this protects the country, from who?

It is really a paranoid society, all they ask is for your silent obedience as they create the New World Order.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpiritualWarrior
Espionage for who, Al Queda obviously, arent they the entire reason your fighting a war on terror?

The article nor the policy on counter espionage is geared towards the war on terror or AQ....how did you come up with that assumption? Please reread the article....it's for ALL classified material and persons with a clearance. Also, if you think we have a problem with spies in the war on terror (AQ, Iraq) think again. Other countries such as China have a greater track record for exploiting Americans who have access to sensitive material....which is the main point of the article, signs and indicators that someone might be spying.

I guess only time will tell. If a large number of students complain of having to report all their foreign travel, report foreign contacts and friends to a US agency...then I guess I'm wrong. But this article and policy (which has been around for ages) only applies to those persons and students with access to classified/sensitive material, which is not that many at all....a very small fraction of a percent....who by accepting a clearance subect themselves to routine and periodic checks, they signed up for it.

[edit on 27/6/2007 by SportyMB]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join