It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI to restrict student freedoms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   

pressesc.com

US university students will not be able to work late at the campus, travel abroad, show interest in their colleagues' work, have friends outside the United States, engage in independent research, or make extra money without the prior consent of the authorities, according to a set of guidelines given to administrators by the FBI.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.ncix.gov...
www.boston.com...
www.wsws.org...
www.fbi.gov...

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This seems a tad over the top to be a tool used in this charade "war on terror". More like a police state action.
Is there any truth to this article, I sincerely hope not.

pressesc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Haha wow...

as a student I can say that one of the best parts of uni is the fact that there are so many like-minded people like myself that I can share my work with and get feedback, advice, etc

Also independent research is a major part of degree-level study, that's why graduates are considered well educated, because they have learned how to research things in such a manner that they can keep on researching and develop their research into new theories, etc. That's one of the major functions of universities.

And making extra money is sometimes necessary to students, shouldn't that be a free choice for the student to make?

This totally goes against the whole point of being a student, it oppresses the fundamental concepts that help students develop into well educated people

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Well, i'll be followed by a hog and tied by one.

WHAT???

I see its already progressing into a police state...but those who think we're crazy and that think this wouldnt happen here HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY INTEREST IN THIS THREAD?

WHY??????

Oh this thread has to be bumped and kept on the first few stories here so that everyone can savor this .

God grant me the serenity..........

Why is this forum called "alternative"???? Isnt this just plain NEWS???
I hate to sound stupid, but anyone???

[edit on 24-6-2007 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Isn't the Foreign exchange program one of the ways we SHOW other Countries our Brainwashing capabilities?? The Foreign exchange program is a really big deal for Universities and now trickles down to the High School level a great deal. With the explosion of Myspace and other community type sights, the Foreign to US relations at a Young persons level is beyond anything we have seen before.

The beginning of a Police State, if this article is true, is to get the younger generation to except our liberties and constitutional rights as just a memory. This way when the older generation dies out there will be no more decent. The young people of this country need to educate themselves about our true history and not accept the history that is presented to them in a "nice and neat bound textbook".

In the 60's the Universaties were the start of the mass demonstrations and refusals to be drafted in the Vietnam War. Then, in the following 30-40 years this same Generation is supporting the War on Terrorism, The War on Drugs, and whatever coin term each Administration has used. They have lost there way.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Has anyone researched this? It is too bizarre to be true, imo, especially the way it is presented here:

US university students will not be able to work late at the campus, travel abroad, show interest in their colleagues' work, have friends outside the United States, engage in independent research, or make extra money without the prior consent of the authorities,

Seriously, think about it before you get in a tizzy. How in the world is the FBI going to stop a student from doing those things listed? And who would attend a university with such a strict policy?

It seems to be geared toward students and others with security clearances and access to sensitive materials, not your average freshman party animal.

I'd be wary of a website that states "Comments to Press Esc are unmoderated."

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think the title is a little over the top myself but that is a person opinion.

The Boston com article does not really say they are going to restrict their freedoms, what it does state is to be on the lookout for foreign spies or potential terrorists which is a big differance too me.

Where does it say students movements/.freedoms will be retricted?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This can't be true. It's too far fetched.

It's hard to take seriously when it's only on this site.

I think there needs to be a rule when posting threads. You need more than one source and more related information.

It's not a theory when it's posted on one dodgy website.

Like half of the threads on here it's just hearsay.

I know this is a conspiracy theory site. But good theory has solid research behind it.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Wow. That document said NOTHING about restricting anything. All it was about was attempting to find people who could be passing on classified data to foreign governments. That was the DUMBEST article I have ever read. I mean, I would seriously like to know how someone could take the contents of the document and the article about the FBI warning about espionage and get "Government restricting student rights". Complete BS.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Boston.com IS THE BOSTON GLOBE. They're Republican for the most part, unlike the Boston Herald.

I beleive the story- it comes from a credible source in Massachusetts.

For those who think this is unbeleivable, well, it is, but not because its from an unreliable source.

How do we like it now???

"
Federal agents are visiting some of the New England's top universities, including MIT, Boston College, and the University of Massachusetts, to warn university heads about the dangers of foreign spies and terrorists stealing sensitive academic research.

FBI is offering to brief faculty, students and staff on what it calls "espionage indicators" aimed at identifying foreign agents.

Unexplained affluence, failing to report overseas travel, showing unusual interest in information outside the job scope, keeping unusual work hours, unreported contacts with foreign nationals, unreported contact with foreign government, military, or intelligence officials, attempting to gain new accesses without the need to know, and unexplained absences are all considered potential espionage indicators.

Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to monitor their colleagues for signs of suspicious behaviour and report any concerns to the FBI or the military."

THIS is what the article says and i interpret it to be a Police State type of deal.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It's not from The Boston Globe. It's from pressesc.com. Just looked at The Boston Globe. They say nothing about it.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but it's so far fetched it needs a little more clout.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dingleberry77
It's not from The Boston Globe. It's from pressesc.com. Just looked at The Boston Globe. They say nothing about it.

Check the fbi.gov website.

All the sources point to one thing: the federal government is picking sides. Students who think for themselves (or anyone for that matter) are the enemy.

We are a danger to "freedom" because information can't be controlled. It just is.

The internet has been a great facilitator of knowledge. That will be the next step.

"Terrorists are using the internet to attack America. We must shut it down. It is unAmerican to use the internet and if you are found on a computer you will be shot."

Again, the feds are instilling fear in the populace as a way to garnish even more power.

Don't they have enough?

Add me to the terror list. I'm gunning for you Mister President of the FBI. Asshole.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
SO lets dissect this a little:

Unexplained affluence: A student with money*

Not reporting if a student goes overseas*

Showing unusual interest outside of their job scope
(in other words, no interests allowed other than say, computer programming- Dont even think about Archeology.

Keeping UNUSUAL work hours? What the hell is that?

Unreported contact with foreign nationals??? Is that calling uncle Joe in Copenhagen just to say hi???

Government military, or intelligence officials? Who'd want to talk to them unless they work for them or are snitches?

Attempting to gain new access without the "need to know"? (Dont go to the library, i guess) or that could extend to the Internet.

Unexplained abcenses??? You go to college, you pay damn good money to attend and i suppose, they now OWN YOU???

Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to monitor their colleagues for signs of suspicious behaviour and report any concerns to the FBI or the military."

dONT PISS ANYONE OFF OR ELSE?????

Oh, no, this couldnt be. It must be a joke or a hoax.

Its another rude awakening.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Mmmmmm. Do you really think that if they even did half of what was said in that article the students, or the country would stand for it. They FBI site mentions issues about the internet, but it doens't mention half of that article.

There is information out there that relates to the article, but that's about it.

Serioulsy, people would flip out if they did it. The country can't be that stupid.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I said that particular website is from THE BOSTON GLOBE.

Dissect? Read my dissection^

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dingleberry77
Mmmmmm. Do you really think that if they even did half of what was said in that article the students, or the country would stand for it. They FBI site mentions issues about the internet, but it doens't mention half of that article.

There is information out there that relates to the article, but that's about it.

Serioulsy, people would flip out if they did it. The country can't be that stupid.

I'm going to break it to you gently. WE ARE THAT STUPID.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I believe that this is to target foreign change students and not American ones.

In a news program during this weekend, I believe CNN it was a piece of how the government is taking very seriously the foreign students working on University research that has to do with government projects and technology.

One of the things I see here is that unfortunately the group of students population that do very well in this type of projects are usually foreign students.

Specially from Pakistan, India and Africa.

I was very taken during my daughter's graduation to see that even when she graduated with high honors most of the brightest minds that got all the awards and recognition for their participation in projects were foreigners.

So I guess we are to target this bright minds now because they could be possible terrorist.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
"The country cant be that stupid"..... lol.

We did elect Bush for a second term didn't we???

Our country is filled with people who only care about Money. I believe the root of all evil is Money, especially when its centrally controlled.

The funny thing to me is that the biggest spy rings in history have been internal. Whether its Los Alamos or the CIA all of the biggest spy scandals have been internal in nature. What is a Foreign student going to do, steal some Chemistry labs secret Mentos and diet coke experiment???

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Not that stupid.

Seriously, i know that the goverment and the powers that be want to control everyone and get their evil hands on everything, but that can't do all of this.

They may do it in steps.

I'm not saying that it won't happen. I'm just saying that sweeping statements on left field articles should be taken with a grain of salt. That's all.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Marg, this is for every student- American and non-American.

Americans mainly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join