It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs? Strange sounds on my computer...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have recently had strange sounds occur on my computer that were not placed on here myself. Specifically, I have a cuckoo clock sound chime in at the tops of the hours!
The cuckoo clock sounds off 4 times at 4pm, 6 times at 6pm etc etc. It only goes off on some of the hours, maybe 4-5 of the hours out of 24hours. What the HECK!? :bnghd:

I have not placed any cuckoo clock software
, any time software or desktop stuff on my computer. Could this be a virus of some sort? I havent seen such a virus being reported anywhere....

I have had my computer for awhile setup in its current configuration and this just recently started happening. Past week or so...I also have 2 virus checkers, a software firewall setup, spyware/spamware checkers, popup blockers and am fairly good with computers. I also have a hardware firewall (router) setup. I usually catch virus or malware if encountered before they attach infect my computer, and is not too common an occurrence.

Anyone else have this, or know what the hecks goin on? Its not life threatening, its kinda funny actually, but I would just like to know WHAT THE source of it is.

[edit on 6/24/2007 by greatlakes]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Sounds wierd to me.

With all that security I'm puzzled. I can only assume that a programme that you already had running has a built in clock function that's got turned on somehow.

Damn annoying when things like this happen.

The most important thing I've learned about computers over the years is that they can be "illogical"!

Good luck hunting this one down, can't wait to find out what it is?

Don't let it drive you cuckoo......sorry.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Does this happen when you are online only, or offline as well???

Are you sure it is coming from your computer? Silly question, I know - but was thinking that maybe your neighbors have a new (obviously loud) cukoo clock?

*love the thread title, btw*

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Obviously this cuckoo clock must have a process running...

Have you tried checking in Task Manager to see if you can find the process associated with it?

Or how about in your Program Files or startup folder. Is there anything there with "Timer" or "clock" in the title or description that you did not install, or notice before??

I did a quick Google search, and it seems there are several applications for cuckoo clock sounds, at the top of the hour.

Let us know, this is intriguing...

on a related note:

[edit on 6/24/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Does this happen when you are online only, or offline as well???

Are you sure it is coming from your computer? Silly question, I know - but was thinking that maybe your neighbors have a new (obviously loud) cukoo clock?

*love the thread title, btw*

Hi,

I'm DSL so i'm always on, or connected to the net. If on vacation, I unplug the router, or if on a weekend excursion etc., but for the most part, the computer is always on and connected.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Obviously this cuckoo clock must have a process running...

Have you tried checking in Task Manager to see if you can find the process associated with it?

Or how about in your Program Files or startup folder. Is there anything there with "Timer" or "clock" in the title or description that you did not install, or notice before??

I did a quick Google search, and it seems there are several applications for cuckoo clock sounds, at the top of the hour.

Let us know, this is intriguing...

I check my processes (cntr-alt-del) regularly to check for errant software, spyware etc that may be running, I also have system protect that lets you control what software starts up on boot etc...

As far as the program files folder, this too I monitor, I color all of the folders blue for the programs I have installed myself, this way, its easy to tell at a glance if any errant programs have installed...

Here's what I'm running, XP:
Firefox 2.0.3
Zonealram pro
Spysweeper
screenprint32
Objectdock

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Any luck in tracking down the cuckooness inside of your computer?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Nope none so far, it has been less frequent of late though...
In other news, seems like the upload space issue is being worked on as well...

ps: like your new avatar!

top topics

join