It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What really happens when you die?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozzie
sorry to inform you all that advocate near death experiences, but, unfortunately nearly dead is not dead. the brain is still working and hallucinating.

Then how about the lady whose heart was stopped by the doctors. Then drained all of the blood out of her brains and lowered her body temperature to 60 degrees fahrenheit? And kept her body in that state for an hour???
www.near-death.com...

This operation, nicknamed "standstill" by the doctors who perform it, required that Pam's body temperature be lowered to 60 degrees, her heartbeat and breathing stopped, her brain waves flattened, and the blood drained from her head. In everyday terms, she was put to death. After removing the aneurysm, she was restored to life. During the time that Pam was in standstill, she experienced an NDE. Her remarkably detailed veridical out-of-body observations during her surgery were later verified to be very accurate. This case is considered to be one of the strongest cases of veridical evidence in NDE research because of her ability to describe the unique surgical instruments and procedures used and her ability to describe in detail these events while she was clinically and brain dead.

And how are people able to see and hear things that they could've never seen of heard due to unconsciousness and lack of brain activity and sometimes due to their physical body being in a totally different place?
www.near-death.com...

And how about George Rodonaia who came back to life after three days, just when they started to do an autopsy on him.
www.near-death.com...

Debunking all the arguments of the skeptics:
www.near-death.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozzie
sorry to inform you all but you all come from a state of non-existance and when you die you return to a state of non-existance. scary eh, why do you think religion takes the form it does, because the truth is to awful for most people to contemplate. and you try controlling the "masses" if they thought they were gona just be around for 70 years or so then fade away. civilisation would collapse.

I've thought this for most of my life... I believe that one of religion's main functions is to help people deal with death. When grandma passes away, no one wants to think that she's *poof* gone... it's comforting to believe that she lives on, whether reincarnated or in an afterlife.

When I came to this conclusion several years ago, my entire life changed. I think back to the middle ages. Frankly, I don't know what church doctrine was at the time (nor do I care), but I imagine the poor, suffering masses were told that they'd see heaven after the hell of their life on earth. Believing in an afterlife makes one care less about THIS life (the only life you have, imo).

I realized that being promised "something better" after this life (if i was a good boy, of course) only had the potential of making me satisfied with mediocrity. That was the day I became more brazen and decided that I was going to pursue my dreams. And I'm a much happier person because of it. When I die, I'm dead. Carpe diem!

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by BelowtheRadar]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Any thoughts on this?

The Bardo Thodol also spelled Bardo Thotrol, translated as The Tibetan Book of the Dead, for centuries it was passed down orally. This ancient text was first put into written form by the legendary Padma Sambhava in the 8th century A.D. Translated, Bardo Thodol means "liberation by hearing on the after death plane". The book acts as a guide for the dead during the state that intervenes death and the next rebirth

reluctant-messenger.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I think this was a thread before or, maybe this is the same thread. Anyways, what happen when you die is, your body gets eaten/broken down by smaller life forms (worms, bugsm bacteria, etc...) and you once again become part of the Earth. Then organisms use you nutrients to become plentiful. So, in a way it's kinda like reincarnation but, you don't sustain your conciousness.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
whatever your mind has pre-conceived as happening when you die, will actually happen.
Good as guess as any. My question is what do you think happens to people that don't have their mind made up regarding what happens at death, don't think anything happens, or are more predisposed to thinking nothing happens, but are hoping there is an afterlife? Do they just cease to exist or what?

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
That depends on their subconscious mind. Perhaps some people will actually live in a illusion of "black" or "nothing". Unless they'll think that they're still alive. It's your subconscious that determines where you go, most of the time.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
If thats true, when I am dead and gone, I am in for one fantastic ride, if I what I believe is going to happen happens...

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
TheBandit795 - actually i got to agree with you, i think when human dies, the brain still retains the electricity - which means we still live in your consience, and depending on your consience the brain creates an environment, if we feel guilty we feel bad, which means we go to hell, when the brain is finally dead, it's blank!

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well, I'm not talking about the brain at all there...

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
That depends on their subconscious mind. Perhaps some people will actually live in a illusion of "black" or "nothing". Unless they'll think that they're still alive. It's your subconscious that determines where you go, most of the time.
This type of opinion makes me think that if this is indeed the case when you die, that people that think realistically regarding the chances of an afterlife are basically screwed. If there is an afterlife, I sincerely doubt that people who rationalized their chances of an afterlife at being nil would actually recieve nil or some dark state.

There is also the problem of people who don't even realize they are going to die and then die. Like people who die in their sleep or suddenly in an accident and weren't even thinking it was going to happen. I doubt people are screwed out of an afterlife if their minds weren't directly set on it at the moment of their deaths. Thats too technical for something so ethereal.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
I think this was a thread before or, maybe this is the same thread. Anyways, what happen when you die is, your body gets eaten/broken down by smaller life forms (worms, bugsm bacteria, etc...) and you once again become part of the Earth. Then organisms use you nutrients to become plentiful. So, in a way it's kinda like reincarnation but, you don't sustain your conciousness.

Exactly! We're all Earth food. The earth is awaiting it's next meal.
And the energy that once fueled your body will find a new niche. Consciousness is all in your mind, and you don't get to keep your brain.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Satyr, no one is really sure of that yet.

www.u.arizona.edu...

How does conscious experience emerge from a physical basis? At a first glance, this is the question about the mind that most needs answering. So it is curious that those who study the mind professionally have often avoided the question entirely. In psychology, the cognitive revolution did not make consciousness respectable: most cognitive psychologists have stuck to subjects such as learning, memory, and perception instead. Neuroscientists have been known to speculate on the topic, but usually only late at night, after a few drinks. Even philosophers have been curiously diffident. Some have been exercised by the fact that there is a problem, others have been concerned to deny the problem entirely, but the focus of inquiry has remained elsewhere. As in all these fields, serious theories of consciousness have been hard to come by

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I fully believe that souls go on, NDE and OBE's semi-prove this. Unfortunately, it is unknown to ALL, what happens after death, until it happens. Some say there is a "need" that we must go on after death, it being "lights out" doesn't make sense to some. Really, the only way to find out is to die, and thats a hard hypothesis to prove.

-wD

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Satyr, no one is really sure of that yet.

www.u.arizona.edu...

How does conscious experience emerge from a physical basis? At a first glance, this is the question about the mind that most needs answering. So it is curious that those who study the mind professionally have often avoided the question entirely. In psychology, the cognitive revolution did not make consciousness respectable: most cognitive psychologists have stuck to subjects such as learning, memory, and perception instead. Neuroscientists have been known to speculate on the topic, but usually only late at night, after a few drinks. Even philosophers have been curiously diffident. Some have been exercised by the fact that there is a problem, others have been concerned to deny the problem entirely, but the focus of inquiry has remained elsewhere. As in all these fields, serious theories of consciousness have been hard to come by

But how many species, that don't have a brain, do you consider conscious? I'm quite sure that, if I remove your brain, you won't be conscious anymore....even if you're kept alive with machines.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If you removed my brain, I would be dead.

IMO it's like turning off a tv. The signal is still there, but you don't see any images or hear any sound.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
if we removed your brain, and preserved it correctly, you won't be dead, later we'd be able to place it into another body, and you'd be awaken

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Like those cartoons???

I don't think so though. IMO the brain has nothing to do with the mind itself, besides "translation". (for lack of a better word).

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
So, does that mean if I was to tell you the truth, that when one dies, one either goes to heaven or hell......would that be a good enough answer?

I always thought honesty is the best policy.......so if the truth be told, then when JUDGEMENT DAY does come(which is the end of the world) then all will be judged according to what one did in their life time!

Whether one believes me or not, it is a choice one has to make.....though for people that are still alive at the end of the world, then many will have many of their thoughts changed because alot more things will be clearer for all who want to see to beieve ......
...... What really happens when you die?
An article of truth....
www.orthodox.net...

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
haha, honesty in 21st century translates as stupidness, when you are honest and good to someone, he/she doesn't think you are just being good but stupid

Judgement day? lol! yea right! as i told in the other thread there won't be anything major next 50 years and i throw my 2 cents in on that

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
You are what you are. Did you know that in your lifetime every single cell in your body will have been shed and replaced with a new one? So what are we if we retain little of what we had years ago? Science has done many good things for us, it is based on fact and reality and stands for human understading, and has created many things that we consider fundamental to our lives, why shouldn't we believe in it? The evidence that science demands and presents is increasing about our world, we are matter and the laws of science apply to us like they apply to everything else. In other words you become unaware after 'death'

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join