It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I see another missing white female on the news...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka

If I see another missing white female on the news...

The media is bad enough without this staple. And it IS a staple. It's like "weather, crime, and missing white girl" is the formula.

Don't get me wrong, crime is deplorable and death is tragic, but damn, I honestly am 2 MWFs from not giving a damn. I mean, the insane COVERAGE these stories get.:shk:

Why "white" women? Why not just women. No empathy for the "white" girls? If this was a random thing I'd leave it be but the OP definitately has a problem with "white". Have to address that.

BTW, who abducted the "white" women. Do we want to go there?

The media makes no secret as to which females in America count most. Real talk, I can't remember the last time I saw a pretty black woman, Latina, Asian, basically non-white woman, all OVER the news because she's missing.

Well , I live not far from Detroit and I see that women and kids of "color" are by far and away the ones focused on. Could be because they are the majority in the area. Did you think about geographics when you posted this?

What else is it, then, if this isn't true? Are white women too stupid to avoid situations where they come up missing? Or is it merely that MWFs generate great ratings for the news stations?

Insulting "white" women now? Again I might ask, who did the abducting?

I'm gonna go with the American premium on white females and the media money shot...

:w:

Sorry to hear that human life, being "white" and all has little to no value for you.

BTW, did I insinuate who the abductors were? I didn't say anything but you will certainly see it the way you want. Just another Honkey that won't see things YOUR way. I weep for ALL of the women, kids that get abducted, I don't care about their color. I care about them, their families, their parents.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
FOX news this morning - Missing woman alert - Stepha Henry.

She's a PRETTY YOUNG BLACK WOMAN.

YES .. I said FOX. And this isn't the first time they have carried missing persons who are black. Kids ... women ... black or white. They carry it. Guess ya'll have to start watching FOX for more 'racially balanced' coverage, eh? (
some tough truth to chew on ... I'll get flamed for that one!
)

Greta Van Sustern (FOX again) also fairly recently carried Tamika Huston and LaToyia Figueroa. Both missing black women.

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
The disparity in coverage can be explained succinctly in two words: sex appeal.

Yep. Absolutely. That's basic psychology. The news will show helpless children and/or pretty people in dire situations. Not ugly or self sufficient ones. They want to show what stirs our hearts (and gets us to tune back in) and basic psychology tells us it's the pretty face or helpless child that does it.

The REAL disparity is the fact that more MEN go missing than women.
So why do we see women carried and not men???
Because men are seen as being able to take care of themselves.

It's all basic psychology. As WyrdeOne said ... pretty (and helpless) make the news.

[edit on 6/26/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Bigoted FOX News Has New Black Boogeyman

The moment I heard that the top story on Hannity & Colmes tonight was about missing Mom Jessie Davis (white, of course), I thought to myself, “I wonder if the suspect is black. Sure enough, he is. The man hasn’t been arrested but Sherlock Hannity is already comparing him to Scott Peterson with terms like “evil.” The Davis case took up the first half of the show. In two years of monitoring Hannity & Colmes, I have yet to see them discuss any missing black woman, much less a case involving a black victim of a white perpetrator. But I’m sure we’ll hear lots more about Davis.

This is precisely my point. The Newshound people say that "they watch Fox News so you don't have to." And, this person says that in 2 years of watching H&C, he has YET to see a missing black woman get covered. Between them watching FOx and me not seeing this myself, I find that highly credible.

Studio B focuses on missing white woman

It should come as no surprise that she is a white woman but why the build up of attention? Could it be because the father of her child is African American? (She has one child with him and is pregnant with a second due anyday)

The man is a police officer and he is going to be a person of interest if he is the father of the missing woman's child and expected child. It's just seems disproportionate, the time that Studio B spent on the story. Was it another catchy missing white woman story for them? I suppose so since Greta is on the scene. They just seemed to do a lot of insinuations regarding Mr. Cox and didn't hesitate showing pictures of him (they showed a group shot of several African Americans).

And that was just the latest one.:shk:

[edit on 27-6-2007 by truthseeka]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
FOX News Alert: Natalie Holloway Still Missing

Missing White Woman Gets More Coverage than War in Iraq

JonBenet Ramsey still the Big Story on Fox

Greta Presents: White Girls in Peril!

Ironically, Fox just makes the bias OBVIOUS with an editing of the page hours after the NewsHound crew put this article up.

Greta Presents: Diverse People in Peril!

The fact that this is the first time I've heard of the non-white females missing is another indicator that I ain't tripping on this.

One Missing White Girl More Important to Fox News than the City of New Orleans

And this is just Fox...:shk:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

And all that was just NEWSHOUNDS .. a self proclaimed anti-FOX site with major connections to move-on org .. a far left wing group. They reek of bias. (and they are wrong)

Between them watching FOx and me not seeing this myself, ...

Obviously they see only what they want to see ... and since you admit that you don't watch FOX then you wouldn't know what they cover. The information I already posted shows they (and you) are wrong.

BTW .. truthseeka ... you didn't address the point I made. WHY are you focused in on the media coverage of missing white women when in fact more MEN go missing then women?? Why the bias against WHITE WOMEN .. and why not get to the real stats .. more men go missing then women but women get the coverage??? hmmm?

TRUTHSEEKA - please address intrpids questions ... I'll rehighlight them for you -

Originally posted by intrepid
Why "white" women? Why not just women. No empathy for the "white" girls? ... Have to address that.

...that women and kids of "color" are by far and away the ones focused on. Could be because they are the majority in the area. Did you think about geographics when you posted this?

Insulting "white" women now? Again I might ask, who did the abducting?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I know there are plenty of stories out there that claim that missing white women (or missing pretty women) get more coverage and it may be true, but where are the statistics? Can we be sure this is the case? I mean, I hear Laci Peterson as a comparison time and time again, but that was 5 years ago and she's still just one person. And Jon Benet? That was 11 years ago.

What I'm saying is these "pretty white females" got huge coverage, sure, but they still only count as 1 white person each as far as statistics.

Does anyone have statistics on missing people AND statistics on the coverage of same to compare? Because statistically, if 9 women go missing and only one of them is covered heavily in the news, odds are like 8:1 that it's going to be a white woman. (I don't know the exact numbers)

I'm not denying the "pretty white woman" syndrome, I'm just asking if anyone has real data to back it up. Or is it more perception than anything?

And Intrepid's questions are very good. It's not just women who go missing. The men aren't getting covered, either. I read that men are seen as more self-sufficient and it's just not "good news" when men are abducted.

And this is all about the media coverage, anyway. We all know the MSM is full of crap for the most part, so this shouldn't be a surprise. The media is racist... They're also corrupt, dishonest, biased, politically crooked and basically criminal. Why do we expect (these days) that the media have integrity in this one area? Sad but true.

To me, this is like getting upset because a bank robber lied.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
2006 NCIC Missing Person Entries

NCIC Active/Expired Missing Person Analysis Report (from the graph, about halfway down the page - tried to copy it but it came out messed up)

According to that graph, the total amount of missing Blacks was 264,606, and the total amount of missing Whites was 528,780.

It doesn't say the amount of Black females, or White females, but according to that, there are more missing Whites than Blacks.

Maybe thats why you see more Whites?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   

FOX News Alert: Natalie Holloway Still Missing

Missing White Woman Gets More Coverage than War in Iraq

JonBenet Ramsey still the Big Story on Fox

Greta Presents: White Girls in Peril!

Ironically, Fox just makes the bias OBVIOUS with an editing of the page hours after the NewsHound crew put this article up.

Greta Presents: Diverse People in Peril!

The fact that this is the first time I've heard of the non-white females missing is another indicator that I ain't tripping on this.

One Missing White Girl More Important to Fox News than the City of New Orleans

For someone who's "sick" of this you sure are going out of your way to look for what you're "sick" of. I would have given you half of the point if you had just stuck to your rant. This is no longer a rant. It seems more like racist whining to me now. I even showed you that it might be the area that you are in because in Detroit this isn't the case.

I'm no longer buying this George, try to sell it to Archie. He might swallow this.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Funny this.

I live in a highly diverse urban area.

We had an Indian doctor go missing, it was all over the news, day and night for weeks. Until they found she'd driven her car by accident into the estuary and drowned.

She was middle aged, not pretty and NOT WHITE.

Asian chicks go missing, black chicks go missing, Hispanic chicks go missing, they all get on the news, just like the white ones do around here.

I live in da 'hood and I am utterly sick of the reverse racism that is inherent in the OP's thoughts here.

The perceived bias in favor of white women works in opposition, too. I needed a restraining order but couldn't get one because my ex is white and nobody believed that I had valid complaints -- I was just making stuff up to get custody of my kids. A black woman in my position would have gotten her restraining order.

Racism isn't just against "minorities" anymore.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Still, this kind of wrecks the theory that "white is invisible". There are so many claims that white is the default or invisible race (how many times have we heard that?) but here we have a specific calling out of white women, because of their color. And not just by the OP, but by several media sources. And I'm sure there are more out there who have noticed this pattern.

"White" is not invisible at all... People "see" white. Even white people see white.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, just making an observation.

Oh! And I forgot. Yesterday at the supermarket, as I was walking out, I glanced at the missing person's board they had there. About 1/3 of the pictures were of dark-colored people.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

For someone who's "sick" of this you sure are going out of your way to look for what you're "sick" of.

These are all from Newshound. Hardly going out of my way using 1 site.

I get on here and say this with no evidence, I'm racist. I post evidence to back it up, I'm racist.

I guess white people who've said this BEFORE me are racist as well, then?

I would have given you half of the point if you had just stuck to your rant. This is no longer a rant. It seems more like racist whining to me now. I even showed you that it might be the area that you are in because in Detroit this isn't the case.

Don't try to be slick. All the cases I cited received NATIONAL media coverage. Local media will actually cover missing people besides white females; funny thing is, even with their families pushing to get the story on national news, they stay local. Gee, now why is that?

I'd post evidence for this as well, but you can just cut to the chase and call me racist instead.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I'd post evidence for this as well, but you can just cut to the chase and call me racist instead.

Laugh it up. It's what I expected anyways. When you get fed your hat you ridicule. My point was made. The reader will see it even if you can't, or won't.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I feel the OP does have a valid point regarding national coverage of missing persons. There seems to be an emotional charge attached to Truthseeka's expression of opinion [frustration?] and that might be what other posters are reacting too.

Also I agree with those who point out that the majority of missing persons are men, of whatever racial/ethic group, and those cases get very little, if any, coverage.

I'd like to offer an alternate explanation for this disparity in national coverage: a political move to heighten the fears of whites and provide justification for increasing police presence and power.

The coverage focuses on women and children, locally as well as nationally, because they are viewed as needing protection, whereas men are viewed as aggressors; which does have basis in fact, but is being blown out of proportion, there are vulnerable men too.

We have to stop bickering amongst ourselves and look at how we're being played.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
You are trying to make a racial issue out of a money issue. These girls that get all this coverage are from affluent families.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Laugh it up. It's what I expected anyways. When you get fed your hat you ridicule. My point was made. The reader will see it even if you can't, or won't.

You called me racist, I laughed. Touche, as it were.

Funny thing, I was talking to a friend earlier. Her husband's in the military, and is bound for Iraq later this year. She was upset about how the media sweeps news about the war under the rug, or devotes just a scroll to it. I contrasted this to the coverage of MWFs, and guess what?

She agreed! Imagine that, a white female agreeing with the racist white hater Truthseeka. Who woulda thought?

Let me guess, Intrepid; she's ALSO racist, right? Just like the whites who have pointed this out before I did. Funny how you had nothing to say when I asked about them in my last post. But there isn't much to say, right? They're racists too.

Oh, almost forgot the laughs...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ephemeral
I feel the OP does have a valid point regarding national coverage of missing persons. There seems to be an emotional charge attached to Truthseeka's expression of opinion [frustration?] and that might be what other posters are reacting too.

I guess I wasn't clear, but national news is precisely what I was talking about.

I'd like to offer an alternate explanation for this disparity in national coverage: a political move to heighten the fears of whites and provide justification for increasing police presence and power.

You know, this makes a lot of sense. The powers that be have been juicing the police for some time now. This would indeed be a means of justifying this. It's like, "see, all these white women keep coming up missing. If only the police had more power, we could keep this from happening."

An excuse to expand the police state...sounds quite valid to me.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I guess I wasn't clear, but national news is precisely what I was talking about.

The emphasis wasn't directed at you; I understood your meaning, you were clear.

The reportage in local news is, well, local; and will vary according to demographics.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It's not all the same type of white women that gets the coverage. Only the pretty Blondes get on the news. If you're an ugly Blonde, you're not going to get on.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   

The media makes no secret as to which females in America count most.

Simply not true. The reason why people kidnap white girls more often is quite easy to understand...

Hurt a white girl...assault.

Hurt a female of any other race and it's assault + a hate crime.

You do the math!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join