It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bashing and Bickering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I don't know about you all, but I have noticed many members just plain old bashing anyone who disagrees with them. What happened to denying ignorance? I think we all know where we all stand, so why is there constant bickering among us? I believe I have an open mind, even though I am sure of what I believe in. It seems many people are here just to promote their own agenda, rather than taking in the knowledge of others.

I for one would like to see less bashing and more intelligent debating. Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Your a dummy face and so is this thread!

Im just kidding

But yeah i agree with you. Ive seen a few post where someone said something very benign or where they just ask a simple question and someone replied with a hateful remark or a propagandic response.

I myself replied to a question in a thread and had anti-jew propaganda thrown all over my post by someone who completely didnt read what i posted and just wanted to spread hate.

I think there are many people here that are just for the bashing...maybe we should be more aggressive towards these people...like reporting every offense...some are repeat offenders of bashing and hate. We dont really need these people around...there are plenty of place to hate on the net...this forum shouldnt be one of them.

[edit on 24/6/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pfeil
I myself replied to a question in a thread and had anti-jew propaganda thrown all over my post by someone who completely didnt read what i posted and just wanted to spread hate.

Yeah thats a problem I see all too often. People read the title of your thread and the first sentence, then skip the rest. And then they try to explain how your so wrong, not even knowing what the main point of the OP was. I guess I gotta start using the alert button more often

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I have to agree with you guys, I've been watching it decline over the years of viewing and being a member. It's really sad if you ask me, I don't view this site often as I use to because of this.

No matter how extreme a theory, I will NEVER degrade some one's opinion unless that opinion is used as a personal attack. Saying things like, "I can't believe how many people believe this, it's stupid." Or, "You're ignorant if you think that". The insults are childish, they're making me sick and driving me away.

I thought this was a discussion forum, not a "bickering lets bash all the ideas I don't agree with" forum. We're more professional then that.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by Slash]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think a good idea would be to make new members wait a month before actually being allowed to post, maybe it would force people to familiarize themselves with the way that debates should be conducted on ATS. It seems to usually be the people that have been here for less than a month that have been rude, but I am now seeing others fall by the wayside. I try not to even debate with these stubborn people, as it is a lost cause.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I totally agree. I took a break from the forum for a few weeks and this is one of the reasons why. It seems that even when someone just states an opinion they are attacked and the attacker will DEMAND he supply links and stories to back up a post that he never claimed was factual.
Its gotten to the point that when I make a post where I'm just stating opinion and not factual, I will add a little disclaimer that states that this is my opinion.
I believe the majority, not all but a lot of them are kids that have nothing better to do. We all know how kids, teens and young adults, like to argue, especially when they can do so from the safety of their own room sitting behind a keyboard.
Dont misunderstand me, im not just picking on kids as there are plenty of adults that do this to

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I posted the same thread today which is here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Looks like we are all thinking the same thing lately

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I would love to use the ignore feature on more than a few people, but then I would feel lost in some conversations. Alas, these people do bring up valid points occasionally, but their delivery is all wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
As ludicrous as some of these threads seem i enjoy reading them and wish they would follow a decent debate instead of bashing.

Strange though how everything is focusing on UFOs and Aliens lately well a lot more than usual anyway.

It passes time until something eye opening comes along anyway

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Pfiel and others,

I have noticed the same in this forum ATS/BTS. I have particularly noticed the technique of anti semitism...where if you are not pro jewish you are automatically an anti semite if you dont tow the party line.

I for one am not into towing most party lines of any ilk but that is just me.

I find this type of fingerprint dishonest and deceitful. It is used often in the PTS forum and also the 911 forum.

Yet from what some of you describe from your experiences, it is becoming epidemic. Many of the rooms are degenerating into what I term as "Wildlife." Wildlife is taking over. They are becoming of what I also term as LCD or "Lowest Common Denominator.

At the same time I seem to note that many people today are raised on a diet of television and movies. They live for their next emotional jag.....not necessarily logical reasonable progression or process. Their the bulk of their lives are a quest for the next instant gratification. This fingerprint shows up in many of these types of posts. In other words one of the identifying fingerprints is the inability to take rejection..even of ideas.
LOL LOL..rejection, even of ideas ...is not instant gratification.

What this is is pubescent at any age.

I have handled a few of these folks in different rooms but one thing you can never do is let them drag you into the same place with them in the "Lowest Common Denominator." THere are people out here who specialize in this type of virus...the lowest common denominator. IT is the best they can do..some peoples.

It is ok with me to disagree with a persons position on a topic. I have no problem with this..just do so in a civil manner. One can be stern or logical and reasonable..just do so with civility and also, if possible, with the technique of teaching. WE are here to learn...often we ourselves lack all the peaces or knowlege which make up the full mosaic of a picture or idea. We or others can assist with what we dont know or dont understand.

It is very satisfying to me to see memebers assist or turn the light bulb on in someone elses head..or conscience. To stoke that idea or thinking apparatus with new material or thoughts. I have always thought this was great ..either to assist or watch it being done to someone elses benefit.

It is sad when what you folks describe is happening. When this happens to a forum like this one it turns our satisfaction to disatisfaction, our hopes and dreams to chaos.
IT is also up to us to call them out ...and maintain civil discourse on these boards..otherwise it will in fact degenerate into wildlife or the lowest common denominator. Albet..just do so with firm civility and decency.

Once again..do not let these folks drag you into such a cesspool as they are wont to think is a standard of excellence.

That you people know and recognize this fingerprint as not worthy of your time tells me certain things about your character. It tells me that you know up from down..right from wrong...light from darkness. That you know or sense this of which I describe means also that you know the concept of stewardship.

I salute you folks in this knowlege and hope you will assist ATS in improving thier fourms by helping the wildlife to improve or come back when they have learned the difference. In this role you become a teacher or even a steward. There are just simply not enough good teachers and or stewards in this world.

THanks to all for thier posts,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

...That you people know and recognize this fingerprint as not worthy of your time tells me certain things about your character. It tells me that you know up from down..right from wrong...light from darkness. That you know or sense this of which I describe means also that you know the concept of stewardship.

I salute you folks in this knowlege and hope you will assist ATS in improving thier fourms by helping the wildlife to improve or come back when they have learned the difference. In this role you become a teacher or even a steward. There are just simply not enough good teachers and or stewards in this world.

THanks to all for thier posts,
Orangetom

Thanks for your thoughts,
I will certainly try to do my best at not getting sucked in to petty arguements, and trying to keep an open mind. We all should strive to keep our standards up high here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is the thing about freedom of speech.As much as you believe that you have a right to post an opinion or an idea.Others also believe they have a right to comment in any manner that they feel fit. Its like trying to get laid.You ask your sweetie for sex,but she says no.Who's in the wrong? You for asking or her for declining?As much as you believe that you may be deserving of her,she has a right to deny you access to her body.
So now that Ive gotten your attention lets move on to the suggestion to censor comments.Why do you feel that you have such a greater right to post a message then someone else to the point that you would not allow another their right to free speech without setting limitations? As long as nobody is being physicilly injured let the ignorant rant and rave and be thankful that we live in a society that allows them to do so.Remember..sticks and stones.And if you are not capable of over looking the comments of the less intellectual that may post a comment to something you obviously felt was worth discussion than excuse yourself from the table.Otherwise learn to point and laff at the fuctarded among us and keep pursuing your train of thought and discussion with those who would like to continue with you in a like manner.
You cant force your hunny onto her back,so try not to force me to accept what is being said without being able to express my point of view as well.I know some people will abuse this privalige,but all you really need to do is ignore them and they will find someone else to pester.
Rise above the lame and fuctarded of this world who want to rape your precious post with scoffing remarks and hate filled words and set the example.Dont stoop to their level and give in to imaturity and sexual frustration.
They thrive on knowing they have gotten a rise out of you.But you have the power to leave them all with a limp dick and blue balls just by saying to them,thank you for the comment,have a good day.And move on.

peace

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
GodzHorz2,

LOL LOL LOL, Yes..I agree. Not sophisticated or smooth in your presentation but all the important points are there. Yes. Blunt and to the point.

I am not against freedom of speech. I am against the lowest common denominator in conduct being hailed as greatness or something of which to boast.

You are correct in your statement that some folks just enjoy knowing they can get a rise out of us. THe technique is to let them with surety know that it doesnt work with you. I also let them know that they are doing nothing special as this is the standard for most of what passes for excellecnce now days. Lowest common denominator. I can get this nonsense at work on the clock. Wildlife and the lowest common denominator is all over the place if you observe closely. If I want to watch wildlife at its best I go to work or a mall and just observe most folks.
How far down the evolutionary ladder do we have to come to think of Paris Hilton as a standard for anything?? I wont be watching any of this wildlife.

There is no law of which I am familiar against being stupid. YOu are correct on this. People should be sufficiently educated to recognize this for what it is.

THanks for your post,
Orangetom

[edit on 26-6-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodzHor2
...As long as nobody is being physicilly injured let the ignorant rant and rave and be thankful that we live in a society that allows them to do so.Remember..sticks and stones.And if you are not capable of over looking the comments of the less intellectual that may post a comment to something you obviously felt was worth discussion than excuse yourself from the table.Otherwise learn to point and laff at the fuctarded among us and keep pursuing your train of thought and discussion with those who would like to continue with you in a like manner.

Ok you make a good point, and I can't argue that. But, ATS has much higher standards than most(if not all) of the other forums of this genre. So senseless bashing shouldn't be tolorated. By posting on here you agree to follow the rules and conduct of the forum. Although it may not be to bad now, I definatly have noticed a decline in post quality(but usually only for newer members)

As for trying to ignore them, it gets tough to, if you see your thread being derailed by useless information and bickering. No one is trying to restrict free speach, we are just trying to keep conversations intelligent and civil as possible, regardless of each others views.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
GodzHorz2,

You left out a very important option or choice here. One for which the average person does not consider when deciding on freedom of speech or action. I did not catch it the first time around. You stated...

Its like trying to get laid.You ask your sweetie for sex,but she says no.Who's in the wrong? You for asking or her for declining?As much as you believe that you may be deserving of her,she has a right to deny you access to her body.

I am the kind of guy who will deny her access to my body and let her know it is my right too. I dont have to put up with alot of crassness or nonsense for sex. I am not that hard up. It is no different when dealing with wildlife. It is no different in that we as individuals have the right to be free from the stupidity and ignorance of crudity or crassness and to not associate with such if we deem it proper. Some of us are not that hard up here too.

To often in todays high speed lane basic civilities are missing in order to get back into the fast food lane. What one who can think past their ego realizes is that the fast food lane is not that fast nor excellent...and often is just going around in circles with little accomplished. One can burn up alot of resources and people in this fast food lane but only wind up right back at the starting gate or in the pit stop.
The tell tale evidence of this is the amount of debris one leaves by the roadside or in the pits.

I dont consider swapping basic civilities for the fast food lane to be a good
trade off. Alot of debris left by the roadside or pits for others to clean up because the litterbugs are busy continuing down the fast food lane.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 27-6-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Pretty-cool thread. Goodness knows as respectful as we feeel of other member posts and threads, there are times when getting the face out of the mud is far more important than reading.

Iv'e taken some poundings here over the years, sent them back too. But this Giant place is above all others and the leadership of Super Moderators, Moderators and great Members really do rule, I feel.

Just a great place to be and hang out and promote "quality posts"

Dallas

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I have transgressed a few times here IMHO. I think you under rate though how much it is a self correcting process.

If the person(s) transgressing have any inkling of conscience they soon realise they are putting themselves on a salient by their own conduct and pull their horns in.

Those who don't grasp that fact, get jumped on by other members on a thread. I think the value of a community on any forum is that of public opinion.

Any debating forum invites passionate views and some times two passionate (opinionated) people will clash. That is the price of democracy and open debate.

I think however you also need to have faith that for 95% of the time it will be self regulating. Even the offenders are human and make mistakes. By virtue of being human even the offenders are not immune to public opinion.

The ultimate sanction of course is being warned or being banned.

top topics

join