learn more

DoD creates computerised alternate reality - SWS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I recently came across this news article about a piece of software called Synthetic Environment for Analysis and Simulations - SEAS, which has been adopted and tailored by the Deparment of Defence into a simulation program called Sentient World Simulation.

The DOD is developing a parallel to Planet Earth, with billions of individual "nodes" to reflect every man, woman, and child this side of the dividing line between reality and AR.

Called the Sentient World Simulation (SWS), it will be a "synthetic mirror of the real world with automated continuous calibration with respect to current real-world information", according to a concept paper for the project.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yank a country's water supply. Stage a military coup. SWS will tell you what happens next.

"The idea is to generate alternative futures with outcomes based on interactions between multiple sides," said Purdue University professor Alok Chaturvedi, co-author of the SWS concept paper.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Original source for both quotes above - www.theregister.com...

I think this is quite a scary concept to be created, and could/would be used to see just how far military/government interaction could be pushed to it's absolute limits to test citizen revolt and response.

The intricacy of the simulation software is obviously very advanced, and is even being pitched to DARPA and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for possible applications.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Scary stuff indeed. I guess if they get everyone in the world chipped, they will be able to throw the moods of people into the mix for even clearer results of the simulation.

This thing has got to be part of a grander, even scarier plan.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What do they use this for there domino effect games or something. Will not be too long before the computer will have real world simulations.

Just imagine the sims game times 1000. The future is not going to be good in some ways.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I think what's scarier, is,
someone in quasi-command, may eventually,
treat the results,of one of these simulations, as fact,
and implement actions based on
this 21st Century version of 'Risk'.

Even seemingly irrelavent events, can sometimes
trigger unforeseen consequences, leading to a totally
different outcome, as most RTSG gamers know.

www.theregister.com... ...a whole-Earth simulation will be a colossal challenge.

"(SWS) is a hungry beast," Blank said. "A lot of data will be required to make this thing even credible."

That would be a lot of data input. Who's gonna do it?

Would be great to see a simulation , tho!

[edit on 24-6-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Now, this part, I can see as being useful.

www.theregister.com...
...who nevertheless said the simulations might be useful for anticipating some scenarios.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

www.theregister.com...
The way to test it would be to set the program at some point in the past
and let it run to a given date, then check the predictions against actual history.

Very insightful idea, from the comments page, I thought.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird

www.theregister.com...
The way to test it would be to set the program at some point in the past
and let it run to a given date, then check the predictions against actual history.

Very insightful idea, from the comments page, I thought.

So in reality it won't be based on history, it will be based on history books to be exact. But do the writers of these books truly reflect the feelings of the people at that point in time? I doubt it.

As I said before, it's a scary thought that they could be interfacing this type of program with the verichips. Knowing the "collective mood" of the people could be used to dictate their decisions.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I find it amazing how leaders in command could one day use such simulation scenarios as their own tactical plans based on the results.

Just think, command decisions involving:

* After-effects of global nuclear war
* After-effects of biological/chemical warfare
* Domestic revolt to "change"
* Bird flu outbreak
* Social effect of extreme weather

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I wonder if this is related to "Vanilla World"

www.secondaryscreening.net...

Look for whoever is working with holographic data storage and quantum computing.

www.nitrd.gov...

HTMT is interesting in this regard.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well, here's where all the social data mining comes in, right?

Google's building databases of what you like to look at. That probably tells a lot about your interests.

The stores build up purchasing patterns on you tied to your "Kroger card", or your ATM card, or checking account. They sell them to whomever wants them.

Got a digital cable box? They log what you watch and when.

Myspace, facebook, and the rest give you a place to bang in all the details of your life, including who your friends are.

There's other stuff too, such as phone records, school records, and the like all of which can yield info on your personality, who your friends are, what you like to do, where you drive when you leave home.

I'd say they could build a pretty darn good profile on everyone with what they have already.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Geotracking by Visa

Pay at the pump gas stations
McDonalds and Starbucks now take Credit Cards
ATM machines in every Quickie Mart

it's almost to the point where you should just file a flight plan, if you can find somebody 3-4 times a day with their credit card, how tough can anything else really be?

thatguyoverthere

(TOM - Long TDY no see)

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Welcome to the real life Matrix???

I don't like the sound of this...

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If this is public now.... then this has been operational for a while and they have something far more powerful and far more accurate running the simulations now...... most likely mind blowing technology.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
another scary aspect of this software that could eventually be included with it, if not already, is all the research going into a.i. can you imagine how scary that would be if this was integrated with ai technology.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   

And are they using data right down to the personal level of every Citizen?...

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Well, here's where all the social data mining comes in, right?
Google's building databases of what you like to look at. That probably tells a lot about your interests.

If so, you must also consider whether or not they use Constitutionally/legally-gained data, as well; The intelligence-gathering "powers" of the Patriot Act comes to mind here.
After all, there's already a lot of Federal Agencies in place to "data-mine" the public & not all of them exist Constitutionally or operate within legal parameters. Others are privately-owned & operated commercial interests (such as the Federal Reserve Bank) that operate with "quasi-government/legal" sanction!

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
As I said before, it's a scary thought that they could be interfacing this type of program with the verichips.

In order to set us up for actual interfacing into the system...

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Welcome to the real life Matrix???

Now this is a scary combination of thoughts, it is! Puts the phrase "couch-potato" on a whole new level, doesn't it?

Well, if they ever come out with a cyberpunk-style of hardwired interfacing with computers, I'll just say "no"...Right up until the point where they either kill me or force-drug me into an insensitive stupor to put me on the surgical slab.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   
On the subject of data mining:

Those damn store loyality cards!!!!

I refuse to sign up to them, i'm a regular at the local shop, know most of the staff who have been there a while, they know I don't have a card, they even know I don't want a plastic bag whenever I've got my rucksac (i usually only want beer and backy!). YET THEY ASK EVERY FLIPPING TIME
they joke its automatic now - but they also say that if the manager dosen't hear them say it to every customer they get a talking to.

Mention any uncertanty over the intentions of the supermarkets and people look at you side ways!

They link all your standard info (DOB address etc) if your dumb enough to provide it, to your exact spending habbits.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Got to give them credit for making the best SIMS out there....However this coming from the same gov that wont allow stem cell research..Guess I should not be suprised. My guess is that the sysytem will not work most of the time, and funding will dry up unless FEMA finds a use for it. I hope they dont. As for how they got the data....just look at the CIAs recent "woops, sorry"......We will find out 40 years from now that DHS broke a bunch of laws, no one will care except a few......and gov keeps rolling

[edit on 25-6-2007 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Maybe somebody will finally make a move, and kick this shin-dig off!!

Honestly, the unfortunate reality of our situation, is that we have already lost.

We sat around for too long. We wondered, we wished, we worshiped. We complained, theorized and worried.

While we have done all of this, the powers that be have been acting, planning and moving.

We never knew who "They" were, but "They" gave us strong drink as a gift. We sat around a campfire, intoxicated, grumbling, scared and disconnected.

While we were passed out, they were busy.

Now, we get to wake up, with a hangover, to look around, and see that a prison was built around us while we slept.

They are too many steps ahead of us now. And, we still don't even know who "They" are! So funny.

At this point, I honestly believe that it will take "Outside Intervention" to reverse what has been growing for so long here.

On the bright side: In a few million years, this will all make entertaining Sci-Fi for the new race of Super-Roaches that will inhabit the Earth!

[edit on 6/26/2007 by Horrificus]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Maybe you don't always have to give them the data they expect.

Yes, they are picking through your electronic trash. So leave them a few stinkers. These systems depend on the statistical consistency of "participants."

Expect that these systems are intended to become part of a homeostatic feedback circuit. Just like clocks and calendars help you feel hungry at noon, relax on weekends, generous on December 25, solemn on September 11, and patriotic on July 4. All sorts of interests seek to ensure that you feel appropriately at these times, and have many ways of receiving appropriate feedback in this regard.

"only by manipulating humans ever more into skinnerian rats, robots, buying automata, homeostatically adjusted conformists and opportunists (or, bluntly speaking, into morons and zombies) can this great society follow its progress toward ever increasing gross national product..." (p.206 General System Theory, Ludwig von Bertalanffy, 1968)

[edit on 26-6-2007 by America Jones]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Oh yeah, and you know all those fun surveys MySpace advertisers are always trying to get you to take? What's your IQ, and such? Don't think those are exempted from Internet traffic intercepted by the central government. In fact, it may be relevant to surveillance systems whether or not you even respond to solicitations to take these surveys.

I hear that "memes" are all the rage among the online kids these days...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join