It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are some rare (<100) planes that are on display?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It's summer and I'm really interested in seeing any rare plane, I live in california so hopefully it will be there.

I'm going to see the a-12 and f-20 in Los angeles within the next few weeks, I've seen a sr-71 at march so those can be checked off the list.

I also went to torrance to see the f-23 but they didnt have it and I cant seem to find it, anyone know where it is?

Anyone know of any pretty rare planes on display in the la area? I'm really just interested in jets, but vintage planes are ok too.

Thanks, and feel free to share your rare plane stories!

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Balboa Park in San Diego. It's right next door to the San Diego Zoo, and has an EXCELLENT aviation museum. Great hands on science museum as well.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I assume you went to the Western Museum of Flight right? The F-23 there has been out a few times to be refurbished. However, it it possible that it is being used for other things.

In SoCal, you can go to Blackbird Park in Palmdale where you can see an A-12, SR-71 and a D-21 drone

If you want to get out to Pheonix, the Pima Air Museum has an SR-71 on static display as well as alot of other cool aircraft.

The Reagan presidential library is supposed to have AF-1 on display (The old 707)

If you hop a plane to Seattle, you can go to the Seattle Museum of Flight where they have an M-21/D-21 combo and other cool stuff. Drive down the road to Renton and can tour the Boeing plant there.

Edwards Air Force Base has a really cool flight test museum and some cool stuff on static display. However, post 911 the only way to see the museum is during thier open house 9Check thier web site)

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I really want to go to edwards some day, they seem to have it all.

And I really wanted to get some pics of the f-23 so I went to Torrance where the new Western Museum of Flight is, and they had a few aircraft in a little hanger, I could tell they were still rebuilding because they moved. So I asked the guy where the plane was he said somewhere at northrop and I emailed them and they said they didnt have it and it was at hawthorne, so I mailed them and I'm waiting a reply.

San diego sounds fun maybe in the future

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Just got back from LA science center, simply amazing!

6 bucks for everything they have it was excellent, anyone around LA I suggest you go! I took tons of pictures of the a-12 trainer, f-20, bell x-1 (dumb replica I didnt know until later), and all the space capsules.

I just wish there were more places like this around

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
i hate to bring this board back but by the lack of replies i have to bring it back! tomorrow im going to see spruce goose and another sr-71

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

SR-71C #61-7981 is on display at the Hill Aerospace Museum at Hill AFB, near Roy, UT. When one of the two SR-71B trainers, #61-7957, was lost on approach to Beale AFB on 11 January 1968, a replacement was built. Designated SR-71C, it was built from the aft fuselage of YF-12A #60-6934 and the SR-71A static test model from Lockheed. This aircraft never lived up to the usability of the SR-71B as it had irregular maintenance procedures and its aftermarket construction caused the aircraft to fly in a constant yaw, which gave it its nickname "The Bastard." Consequently, the SR-71C was used on a limited basis from 1969-1976.

www.sr-71.org...

The only SR-71C ever built.

They don't get more rare than that.

(Just a side note, Apparently the canopies still function. It's been a few years, but they were closed when I was there.)

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I just saw Spruce Goose and wow that thing is amazingly huge I couldnt believe how huge that thing is and the rudder looks freakin fake! Also saw another blackbird there which is always awesome and the d-21 drone which i have never seen and was cool looking, the sr-71 and the drone together looked awesome. I'm planning on hitting all the b-birds in california then work my way out I'd love to go to dayton ohio that museum is like a dream x_x

Anyone know how far blackbird airpark is from edwards test plant 42 where there is another blackbird i keep getting 2 different places for these birds but they both say edwards and is edwards open? Anyone have any info thanks

[edit on 7/30/2007 by racerzeke]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
At Blackbird Airpark, which is literally right next to Plant 42, there is an A-12, SR-71, D-21, and U-2.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
I'm planning on hitting all the b-birds in california then work my way out I'd love to go to dayton ohio that museum is like a dream x_x

Yeah the Dayton Airfore museum is a awesome. What sucked though is the last time I went I was only 15 (a number years back now) and my fam wasn't or isn't that huge into aviation so I got a total of 2 and half hours in the museum. it was a bummer but I will head back there in the near future hopefully.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yea I'm at the point in my life where I want to start remembering everything I do and I take as many pictures as I can because I've been to a bunch of airshows throughout the past years but I dont even remember them at all which sucks. Blackbird airpark sounds awesome but is it open and there is a a-12, sr-71, d-21, and u-2 at the airpark and then there is another blackbird at edwards right? Or am I wrong? It's really confusing and its 2 hours away so I wanna get it right when I go , thanks

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I've been wanting to see the yf-23 forever at hawthorne but they moved to torrance and they didnt move their planes but on their website it doesnt say anything about the planes not being there since they moved over a year ago but i went there and nope no f-23 so i email them and then the plane is in "storage" and they dont know when it will come out.... they work there but know nothing lame

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
there's a black bird at the SAC muesem between lincoln and omaha, NE on I80...and there's also one in the junkyard about half a mile from my house here in bellevue NE.

i dont know what it's doing there and the first time i saw it, i didnt believe it, but it's there....i'll get pictures..

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH

Originally posted by racerzeke
I'm planning on hitting all the b-birds in california then work my way out I'd love to go to dayton ohio that museum is like a dream x_x

Yeah the Dayton Airfore museum is a awesome. What sucked though is the last time I went I was only 15 (a number years back now) and my fam wasn't or isn't that huge into aviation so I got a total of 2 and half hours in the museum. it was a bummer but I will head back there in the near future hopefully.

It sure looks awsome. I've only seen pictures online, and from that, I'd say that it's definitely on my list of places to visit before I die.

top topics

join