It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KVM switch and LCD moniters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
long story short, i have a new KVM switch, but i have an LCD monitor. the KVM switch only accepts VGA monitors, or at least only a VGA cable connection.
i have a DVI-I-VGA cable, but for some reason when i connect the cables into my computer they wont work... (I also want to note that for at least one of these computers i need to use a VGA-DVI adapter because the Gfx card has no VGA ports.
i dont think this is the switches fault, because the speakers and mouse transfer correctly, however on one computer (the one with no VGA ports [ATI x1950]) when i connect the cables, the monitor doesn't just go on stand by (as if it would if there was no input from the computer, such as if i were to leave the PC on and the monitor power down) but rather it flickers from off to on, not showing any desktop though.

i hope this is not my monitor at fault... i have been waiting for this switch for a while and for this to happen is rather frustrating to say the least.

help would be much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
does the 2nd computer use vga and is your monitor able to use vga? i had a weird issue like that once with my kvm switch where the monitor seemed to be just stuck in standby.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
the second computer has a VGA port. the monitor can use VGA, you just need to switch the source from DVI digital to DVI analogue, upon which the screen flickers on the computer that has no VGA ports (#!) and stays on standby on the second.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
did you test the monitor on both computers with out the KVM and their appropriate cables? the problem could be one type of cable leading into the switch and a second type of cable leaving the switch... it could be having trouble with the switch as the interface between the two types of cables or their relative two types of protocols be it analogue or digital. what model KVM is it?

[edit on 6/28/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
i think the model is a Belkin Flip.

i think it is the cable leading from the monitor. being it DVI to VGA instead of the regular DVI which works just fine.
bummer is that i spent all my money on the KVM switch, amoung other things and cant afford more cables. thats not to mention that the cables has never been used before either D:

top topics

join