It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

price of corn vs. ethanol demand/hype

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Look at these two charts showing the 12 month fluctuation in the price of corn for 2005-2006 and 2006-2007.

Corn is the new oil. Get ready to go after "big corn"...and "big weather", because when it doesn't rain in Iowa and Kansas and the corn doesn't grow, "big Ethanol" is going to cause more "pain at the pump". And Schumer/Clinton etal. will call for a windfall profit tax on Americas corn farmers, weather controllers, and ethanol distillers.

DONT LET THEM PUT FOOD IN YOUR GAS TANK!

2006 Corn:
www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu...

2007 Corn:
www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu...

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Indeed. Ethanol would not even be cost efficient if it weren't for massive gov't subsidies...which is in reality stealth vote buying.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Corn is not the only way to make biofuels.

Japan has experimented with several plants, most recently using Seaweed.

In my opinion Seaweed as at least a 40% producer of bioethanol is the best way that
this technology can be taken, with the rest coming from other sources, like Corn,
waste grease and other plants.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

In my opinion Seaweed as at least a 40% producer of bioethanol is the best way that
this technology can be taken, with the rest coming from other sources, like Corn,

True...there are many organic sources of fuel. Seaweed, switchgrass, soy, cane... But non of these are better than oil. They are food, they are susceptable not only to geo-political events but also climatic, meterological and biological.

Oil is controlled only by politics. Oil cannot feed anyone (directly).

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
burning foodcrops will never be a good idea and any affirmations to the use of other sources, like fiber, are merely wishful thinking, take a look at

www.ethanolrfa.org...

mostly corn and i dare to say that this was the desired effect of biofuels.

Originally posted by iori_komei

focusing on fuel alone is a dead giveaway of profit-oriented thinking. reducing fertilizer is far more effective, as it cuts back on land use, not just fossil fuel consumption, but, let's face it - environmental concerns are not driving _any_ actively pursued official policy. but of course, alledged environmentalism® sells, even if that means cutting down the Amazon forest 'to reduce CO2 emissions by using biofuels. herd mentality isn't limited to reactionaries.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

MBF

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I just sold my corn for $4.30/bu. That's the most I have ever got for corn. Farmers are saying that ethanol is going to be just what we need to help with the corn prices. In my opinion, as soon as ethanol production gets started at a little higher rate than it is now, they will come up with a way to get the corn as cheap as they can. They are already telling us that there will be a discount for corn with aflatoxin (a mold that gets on corn sometimes). Aflatoxin has nothing to do with ethanol production. When I confronted some of the people that were wanting to build a plant in my area about the discount for the aflatoxin, they claimed that the reason was that it contaminated the distillers grain. This is not true, because the temperatures that are required to produce the ethanol kills all the aflatoxin. They have used aflatoxin for decades as an excuse to get corn cheap. The test that they use will show corn starch or dust as a positive for aflatoxin. They will always look for a way to get the corn cheap.

Corn is NOT the highest producer of ethanol per acre, there are other crops that are much higher producers. I think the plants should use whatever surplus crops that are available for the production of ethanol. I don't think that we should try to rely on just one crop and expect it to supply all our energy needs.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
www.chinadaily.com.cn...
Good article here

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Attention all carnivores...

Where's the Beef, Indeed: A Steak Shortage Hits N.Y.
By CHRISTOPHER FAHERTY
Special to the Sun
August 8, 2007

The country's effort to move away from a dependence on foreign oil and embrace green initiatives appears to be behind a change in one of New York's purest traditions, the menu of the classic steakhouse.

www.nysun.com...

Hate to say I told you so, but from my other ethanol thread...

When more and more farmers begin growing corn instead of wheat, barley, alfalfa, soy, hops, etc. because of the huge demand for corn and the high price it commands, what will happen to the market for these other grains? They will be in short supply and the prices will rise. I, for one, do not want to pay more for beer and Fritos so that my F-150 can burn E85!

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

MBF

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Attention all carnivores...

Where's the Beef, Indeed: A Steak Shortage Hits N.Y.
By CHRISTOPHER FAHERTY
Special to the Sun
August 8, 2007

The country's effort to move away from a dependence on foreign oil and embrace green initiatives appears to be behind a change in one of New York's purest traditions, the menu of the classic steakhouse.

www.nysun.com...

The price of corn should not affect the price of our food as much as you would think. With the price of corn hitting the maximum price that it has recently, the price of cornflakes should go up about $.02 max per box. The price of taco shells going up double or more is nothing but price gouging. Yes, cows do eat corn, but it is not the bulk of what they eat. They also eat hay, grass or other things and they can also eat the byproduct of the production of ethanol called distillers grain which I think is higher in protein per pound than corn is.

Hate to say I told you so, but from my other ethanol thread...

When more and more farmers begin growing corn instead of wheat, barley, alfalfa, soy, hops, etc. because of the huge demand for corn and the high price it commands, what will happen to the market for these other grains? They will be in short supply and the prices will rise. I, for one, do not want to pay more for beer and Fritos so that my F-150 can burn E85!

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Corn is NOT the highest ethanol yielder per acre. Other crops can can be used that produce a higher yield. I also think that surplus crops that are not harvested should be used for ethanol production instead of being left in the field to rot. This year there were probably at least hundreds of thousands of tons of watermelons that were left in the field to rot that could have been gathered and used to produce ethanol around where I live because there were no buyers. The cost of corn in a pound bag of Fritos right now is $.06, how much is everybody paying for them?

top topics

join