It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerfull California Nurses Association Endorses Micheal Moore's 'Sicko"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The very powerfull California Nurses Association (CNA) is working with nationwide organizations to both promote MM latest documentary "Sicko".

CNA is a union that represents a huge majority of nurses in California. They are very powerfull as Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger found out when he went against the union in regards to minimum staffing ratios. Arnold was terminated. Nurse enjoy the highest approval rating of any profession (mid 80's%) and when they get together on an issue they can really throw some weight around.

If they are putting thier weight behind a univeral healthcare system and tieing it in with a movie that is bound to be popular this movement may have momentum and teeth.

Planning to spark a fundamental change in national healthcare politics, an unprecedented national coalition of nurses and doctors organizations today announced plans to rally around the openings of Michael Moore's "SiCKO" June 29 to press the campaign for single-payer healthcare, guaranteeing comprehensive, quality healthcare with an expanded and improved Medicare for all.
calnurses.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I have not seen the movie yet but I'm becoming more inclined to believe that, a the very least, a replacement for the current system of healthcare in the US. is in dire need. Our healthcare system, in many ways, is a mess. Further, the drug commpanies are a close second to big oil in their corrupt control of the overpriced US. drug industry. I can't go to the doctor without seeing at least three or four highly paid drug reps buzzing around the waiting room. Medicines in this country are way overpriced, iin general.
Did you see this movie, Fred T.?

[edit on 22-6-2007 by Corbin Dalus]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I have not as of yet. Copies that errrrrr. "fell off the truck" are circulating the internet, but I have not had the time.

I reserve judgement of cource till I see it in its entirety, but this move my the CNA is not to underestimated IMHO. As nurses we faught the huge hospital lobby to get minimum staffing ratios in California and then the governor when he tried to repeal them and won despite huge spending on the hospitals side.

Nurses have known for years that the system is a mess and maybe this IS the catalyst to spark some meaningfull change.

Every time I see your name I think "Nelu Dallas... Multipass"

[edit on 6/22/07 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
"Every time I see your name I think "Nelu Dallas... Multipass" Yes, very observant
. "Leeloo" from The Fifth Element.
Anyway, I had an associate in the Mental Health field who was studying to become an NP. Anyway, she left for a year or so after all the necessary schooling and came back after another year. She told me she was utterly horrified at the mess of our healthcare system and, further, kept referring to the number of mistakes that occur.

new topics

top topics

join