It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens & NASA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Access Denied
Maybe you guys should start comparing notes or something because I don't see how all of you can be right and quite possibly 99.9% of the Earth’s population thinks every single one of you is nuts… then again you probably don’t really care right?

[fixed typos]

[edit on 21-6-2007 by Access Denied]

There isn't an ET conspiracy theory organization that maintains one theory and discards the rest. With six billion+ people on the planet theories will abound. Though I assume you understand this.

If I cared I would have stopped interest in this subject decades ago.

It's my opinion that NASA and it's preceding organization, NACA is a large public disinformation arm of the U.S. government. Doing everything in it's power to create a fantasy that extraterrstrials aren't already here by covering up any such evidence and ignoring anything that contradicts their foundation. I don't think everybody at NASA knows it's real purpose or even that UFOs/ETs exist and are on as much of a need to know basis as any other government organization, but some do.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, even the one liners.

I think the following post is an important clue to understanding the underlying distrust for the “authority” of NASA…

Originally posted by Diplomat
What concerns me is how millions of people are viewing all of these NASA videos online that show strange objects, yet NASA doesn't seem to care at all? Could it be because these "objects" we see are explainable space phenomenons?

Well, a search on NASA’s website for “UFO” reveals quite a few hits and it appears (contrary to popular belief?) that NASA does care enough about it to at least try to explain their position. Here’s a few interesting examples I found…

Warp Drive, When?
Frequently Asked Questions
www.nasa.gov...

[my emphasis in bold]

What about UFOs?

There is an expression that engineers use: "signal to noise ratio." It refers to the difficulty of getting the real signal, say a voice over the telephone, to stand out and be heard above all the noise and clutter that is also on the line. On the subject of UFOs the signal to noise ratio is so abysmal, that it does no good to listen.

That whole subject is really irrelevant to our own human quest to travel to space. If we humans are going to figure out how to build space vehicles, then WE have to build our own space vehicles. It doesn't matter if it has or has not been done by someone else.

Its been suggested that we might have something to learn by studying UFO stories. I disagree. First there is this signal to noise ratio problem. Even if the stories are correct, they are only as useful as science fiction. Science fiction can be useful to give you some mental picture to get you started thinking about the real issues, but it is no more useful than that. Even if UFOs were completely real, which is doubtful, and even if I had a film of one in front of me, it wouldn't be of much help.

[Note: I assume “UFOs” means “alien spaceships” in this context. I doubt many scientists would deny that some % of sightings are anomalous and may represent an unknown phenomenon –AD]

For example, if someone in the previous century saw a film of a 747 flying past, it would not tell them how to build a jet engine, what fuel to use, or what materials to make it out of. Yes, the wings are a clue, but just that, a clue. To do real work, to really determine how to build the next generations of vehicles, we need our own information. There are plenty of possibilities for credible approaches emerging from our own scientific literature. It would be a waste of our limited time to go chasing down mere hearsay.

Does any of that not make sense? (and check out the above link for some interesting info about official investigations)

Here’s another example from “Ask an Astrobiologist” that addresses the common misconception that astronauts have seen UFOs in space…

nai.arc.nasa.gov...

Q: Why did David Morrison, NAI Senior Scientist, claim that no NASA astronaut has seen a UFO. Here is Gordon Cooper's first person account of UFO sighting. www.space.com... Here is an interview with Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin where he recalls the crew seeing a UFO outside their spacecraft video.google.ca...

A: I wrote that no astronaut had seen a UFO in space. While Gorden Copper thinks he saw unexplained phenomena while flying in the 1950s, this obviously was not from space. Concerning claims that he has seen a UFO from space, the 1999 Space.com article you refer to quotes Cooper as saying "No, somebody made a lot of money selling lies on that one ... It was totally untrue, sorry to say." Concerning Buzz Aldrin, he was misquoted, with the explanatory part truncated from the interview as aired, as we explained in an earlier answer posted here (use the search engine to find it). Sorry, but there is no compelling evidence for space aliens, and certainly not from NASA astronauts. Be skeptical; there are a lot of false or misleading claims about UFOs circulating.

David Morrison
NAI Senior Scientist

Amen on that last point.

Here’s another one that addresses the “conspiracy” to deny the “truth” about ET life…

Q: Why is it that the government and NASA both continue to ignore the almost certainty of intelligent life throughout all of space? For man to believe that he is the only intelligent life is naive and ignorant. Even if all reports of ufos and extra-terrestrial contact are false, it still does not make logical sense to believe that man is alone. After reading this short arguement, which you have almost undoubtedly read or even pondered yourself, is there not the distinct possibility and probability of life?

A: I don't know who you are complaining about in the government and NASA. I have never heard the sort of denial you refer to. Of course there is a possibility and indeed a probability of life, including intelligent life. So far we see no evidence of it, but that doesn't keep people from looking. Perhaps what is confusing you is the concept of "belief" in intelligent life. Science is not a matter of belief, but of evidence. In everyday life all people hold "beliefs", but this is not a good word to apply to our scientific understanding of nature.

So it appears NASA’s position is they haven’t seen any convincing evidence of ET life… yet. I must admit I really haven’t either (especially after thoroughly researching both sides of the stories for myself) but clearly NASA is willing to talk about it openly and remains open to the possibility in which case aren’t all the elaborate conspiracy theories (correction: hypotheses
) unnecessary? Is it possible the real problem is the phenomenon itself and blaming NASA is an understandable but misguided (and ultimately unproductive) expression of frustration?

P.S. Oops, sorry about the bovian slip.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Is it possible the real problem is the phenomenon itself and blaming NASA is an understandable but misguided (and ultimately unproductive) expression of frustration?

P.S. Oops, sorry about the bovian slip.

There are two groups that are hiding this subject. Our governments and extraterrestrials themselves, but we can rightfully place blame upon our government institutions for hiding what they do know. Especially in allegedly open societies that are supposed to have transparency in government such as the USA, which we know is not the case.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
It's my opinion that NASA and it's preceding organization, NACA is a large public disinformation arm of the U.S. government. Doing everything in it's power to create a fantasy that extraterrstrials aren't already here by covering up any such evidence and ignoring anything that contradicts their foundation.

Why? Because the public couldn't handle it? Seriously, how long after the initial shock of the announcement do you think it would be before Paris Hilton gets arrested again and everybody changes the channel?

Hell, don't some surveys already say something like 50% of the population already believes in the existence of ET life? What’s the BFD?

Another thing, ask any scientist at NASA what they want most and I bet they'll say it’s more money to do experiments. There’s already a huge back log and lots of potentially good experiments don’t make the cut. What better way to get public support? NASA’s budget is only 1% of the overall budget and most people still complain it’s a big waste of taxpayer’s money. Would they still complain if NASA brought home some cute little critter from Mars and put it in a zoo?

Hell, I’m actually kind of surprised a conspiracy within NASA hasn’t formed to fake evidence of ET life to get themselves a nice pay raise, recognition, and more money to do experiments with aren’t you?

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

nasa went to the moon, they didnt see any alien spaceships- nothing is being covered up.

Agreed (I'm sure Yeti just had a heart attack...). With the deep penetration of the American intel service by the Kremlin at the time of Apollo...had we fabricated the moon landing, Russia would have known, and shouted it to the world... No, we went alright, and we still benefit from those missions today.

While they may not have seen anything positively identifiable as "spaceships", they certainly saw unexplainable phenomenon. There was even a code, "Santa Claus" for such observations. Of course, this was uncharted territory, so strange sights and no answers are to be expected.

Assuming there are aliens, and their apparent desire for secrecy is genuine, they'd probably steer well clear of any space operations we choose to launch...unless perhaps, we try to leave our little neighborhood....

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
i think nasa nos there are aliens but deny it

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'd love to know why ET's would even visit the moon in the first place??? Can someone give me an explaination to why they think aliens would possibly land on our moon?

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
I'd love to know why ET's would even visit the moon in the first place??? Can someone give me an explaination to why they think aliens would possibly land on our moon?

to create bases there and lauch a full scale invasion on earth
i dont no either really

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Why? Because the public couldn't handle it?

Hell, don't some surveys already say something like 50% of the population already believes in the existence of ET life? What’s the BFD?

It's not a matter of whether or not the public could handle it, IMO. It's a matter of whether or not our governments can handle public knowledge of the subject. Throughout our history lesser civilizations on our planet have been assimilated into more advanced ones by one measure or another. Our leaders fear what changes could take place to their wealth and positions of power should our planet become assimilated into some far more advanced civilization.

It's my belief that any species that can actually travel to this planet from another would most likely have a civilization that to us would appear to be some type of utopia in comparison to ours. It is that which our governments do not want because it would show them to be institutional dinosaurs that would become extinct overnight. For reasons of national security, to maintain our contemporary governments as they currently are, we cannot know about ETs or how they live. Because we would likely drop how we currently live like a hot potato if we did.

Most NASA personnel remain quiet for one reason or another. Whether that silence is voluntary or comes from mafia-style threats I cannot say.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by Frith]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Agreed (I'm sure Yeti just had a heart attack...).

LOL… now if we could only get you to agree on Roswell some real progress could be made here.

There was even a code, "Santa Claus" for such observations.

Already debunked right here on ATS by the Ape…

www.abovetopsecret.com...

unless perhaps, we try to leave our little neighborhood....

Ah yes, the quarantine hypotheses, one of my favorites. How would you like to be the first one to test that one out Gaz?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by manzoor
i think nasa nos there are aliens but deny it

From my understanding of NASA and UFOs, even if NASA filmed an alien walking up to the astronauts and invited them for tea, NASA is bound by law not to say anything about the alien.

1958 Space Act

This site break it down a little bit for easier reading and understanding.

Easier reading (my cuppa joe)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join