It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Discreet Bugout Bag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
So far there have been some excellent threads about what you should have in your Bugout Bag (BoB), but there are times and places that the traditional bugout bag would not be acceptable.

I'm talking about:
- Schools/Government Buildings
- Chemical/Nuclear/Power Plants/Factories
- Sports Events
- At work
- Airports

These kinds of places may not allow you to carry a butane lighter or even matches. No knives (not even multitools). And certainly not firearms. Most of these places have the right to search your bags, and there are usually harsh penalties if you're carrying something you aren't supposed to.

How would you substitute for these items to make up your "politically correct" BoB? The only one I can think of is carrying a flint/magnesium stick rather than "regular" fire sources.

Include all your other regular supplies such as rope, minor first aid supplies, etc. still as well, but try to make sure it would all easily fit in a small backpack that you can easily carry anywhere with you and tuck into a cubby hole/under a desk/luggage compartment.
And leave room so that you can fit ordinary non-survival supplies that you need everyday like a binder, lunchbox, etc. Basically a regular functional bag with a little bit of survival packed in.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Very good topic idea.I'll work on coming up with a few ideas for this.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Matches I would say simply hide in a secure pocket. Laser pointers were forbidden at my middle school -- of course, I accidentally brought one to school once and lived in fear the whole day. Nothing happened. At schools, if you simply look "normal" you will not be searched or interfered with. If you don't look dangerous or like a "druggie", then no one cares, really. Just never put anything in a public school locker -- they search those fairly regularly, and if they find "suspicious" items, your behind is toast.

I currently attend high school, so I'd be pleased to hear suggestions for a school-safe BOB, and would be relatively happy to test suggestions of what's safe, what's not -- well, reasonably.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
What can a disable person do to prepare ?
My husband and I are disabled and on a fixed income.

What kind of supplies do we need to get us thru say the first few days or a week that would be easily obtained.

If we had to leave our home where would be the best place to go?
Our daughter lives about 3 miles from us. Should we go to her house or stay where we are?
Thanks for any advice.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Perhaps the biggest problem I can see right now with building a bag to these kinds of specs is having a fixed blade knife; most if not all of those places mentioned in the original post would not be cool with that at all. Giving up one of the most essential tools of your kit is a personal choice really, I have on several occasions had my full pack in the trunk of my car at work or while at class knowing full well that I was risking a lot by doing so, but that was a choice I made and I suspect that is what it will come down to for many wanting to keep a bag close most of the time.

MagicaRose

> I would suggest stopping by the NWO Survival Planning thread and reading around, its a wealth of general information about survival and what kinds of gear you may find useful and ideas of where it can be obtained. In regards to where you should go I would suggest going to family as numbers generally increase safety. Talk with your daughter about such a situation where it might be necessary for you and your husband to come stay with her to work out logistics of it and set the stage for discussing the core matter of a survival situation and how to prepare for it.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I have three bug out bags...one each in my two vehicles I have licensed and insured. I also have a bug out bag which I regularly carry to work. This bag includes equipment peculearly tailored to my work in addition to some survival gear.

For firestarting I carry in addition to a couple of butane lighters I also carry a magnifying glass. I always have a current magazine or book of which I am currently reading which will also function as fire starting material.

A knife may be a problem. Fortunately where I work we carry knives daily in our occupations and use them. I dont consider myself well heeled if I dont have my pocket knife in addition to my Gerber pocket tool....which also has a knife on it . For me not having my pocket knife on me is like walking around butt nekked!!

Firearms are a different matter. These need to be left at home or in ones vehicle. Besides...where I work there are much more dangerous hazards than firearms. We dont need to be complicating our jobs with that added burden.

As to the person going to school..you have a problem there. They generally dont like you to be able to think outside thier general outlines or religion in public schools. Translation of that is be dependent on them.
No thanks..not for me.

For School safe Bob..I recommend some food stuffs..change of clothes...socks T shirt etc..and first aid kit or such. Radio..AM/FM type. Speaker or headphone type. If headphones used carry spares...phones or ear buds are delicate and easily damaged.
Also include a updated phone list..people to contact ..phone numbers, addresses etc etc. Plasticoat this if you can. Also writing materials..small pad and pens etc etc.

Stuff or equipment you dont want damaged by water or rain...you stick in a zip lock type bag..like your AM/FM radio, spare batteries, writing paper etc etc. Keep it simple.

Know anyone in the Army or Marines??...get them to show you how well a zip lock bag works in keeping thier gear dry out in the field for weeks at a time. They stuff socks, food..underwear and all kinds of goodies in a zip lock bag.

A couple of weeks out in the scrub and you can start thinking about cutting someones throat for a clean dry pair of socks or some needles and thread to mend them. Ask the guys who were in Nam.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 14-8-2007 by orangetom1999]

[edit on 14-8-2007 by orangetom1999]

top topics

join