It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waxman decries Cheney security exemption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Waxman decries Cheney security exemption

news.yahoo.com

Under the order, executive branch offices are required to give the Information Security Oversight Office at the archives data on how much material it has classified and declassified.

Cheney's office provided the information in 2001 and 2002, then stopped. Henry Waxman, chairman of the committee, said Cheney's office claims it need not comply with the executive order because it is not an "entity within the executive branch."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Assuming that the statute covers only entities within the executive branch, then the VP's office is totally correct. Under the Constitution, the VP is not a member of the Executive branch (only the president and, by implication, the bureaucracy are) but a member of the Legislative branch because his only constitutional role is that of President of the Senate, a purely Legislative function. The VP does not have any executive powers granted under the Constitution.

Of course, this does not mean that I agree with this policy. The law should be amended so that the VP does have to report as other members of the executive.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/21/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I love the part where cheny talks about Abolishing the National archives, or at least the right for the archives to press the matter of publishing the executive branches classified and unclassified doc. numbers.

Funny, what is he trying to hide here? that his a tard?

Impeach his lamerself.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I think Cheney has been the De Facto leader anyway and any big decision goes through him first. The Three headed monster of Rumsefield, Wolfowitz, and Cheney have been together for ALONG time in many administrations. If and When they die, there are going to be many things that we find out which we all believed were true anyway. Also, we may find out the Bush didn't really know as much as we thought as having everything go thru the VP keeps him out of the loop and out of trouble. If Bush gets wacked, guess who steps in. Thats right, Cheney.

I believe all 4 of them should be brought up on War Crimes anyway in the Hague or better yet in an Islamic court. That would be great.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Im really surprised this hasn't gotten more of a response. I guess many of the members are for this, seeing as how their attitudes are towards this administration. How one could support such things is beyond me. A Government for the people and by the people it is no longer.

It seems that these people have been trained. Mention Illegal immigrants and they spin into a frenzy, mention the idea that Israel is being threatened and their eyes buldge, Mention Muslims and the Ak-47's come out, mention that the President and his entourage are taking liberties never before done by anyone to exclude themselves from any Public oversight and they are quiet as church mice.

Maybe if you change the title to "Illegal Muslim Immigrants are Forcing Dick Cheney Using 5 Year Old Jihadists to Exempt Israel From Recieving Intelligence Info" you might get a rise out of people.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Amen Pieman..it is a sad fact that the majority of Americans, although wonderful, generous and decent people on the whole, are woefully ignorant of the most basic and critical information necessary to informed decision making. They have given decision making over to the ' politicians ' and after an election, if they vote at all, and if the vote is not rigged or otherwsie stolen ( See Supreme Court ) OR EVEN IF IT IS , they forget about all of that and just get r' done every day and try and ignore the stuff that boggles the mind or upsets the status quo in any way, God forbid.

I hate to be pessimistic but it looks very bad to me and only a miracle, perhaps a genuine miracle, can turn this around and reestablish a government that has the interests of the People at the forefront and not the special interests and money crowd. If you look at how high the structure of this monster goes, it is clear that only a massive and forceful movement, perhaps even as drastic as Italy circa 1945, will move the criminals out of power..expose the shadow government and cut its head off, secure our borders and return to the States the authority to enact laws based on the will of the People, and abolish EVERY Federal law that does not cover national defense or TRUE interstate crime.

Abolish the DEA immediately and save billions, the States can handle medicines and substances just fine. Require all cops to take an advanced and verified polygraph or other truth verification device test as to their belief as to the true facts of the case before ever filing a criminal complaint or applying for a warrant. That would cut out a massive amount of injustice before it gets started. Make every police Dept. film with audio EVERY stop, question, raid, etc. ..ANY contact with a civilain must be recorded to insure truthful evidence. Cops can NEVER be trusted to tell the truth..we can see now in this society the results of virtually unbridaled police power, and it is destroying the fabric of this nation and making a fascist state a reality right under our noses.

But forget all that!! Turn Fox ( FAUX ) News on and sing " Hail to the Fuhrer "..er, I mean CHIEF and recite the Pledge a few times and let good old Bill O'Reilly spin the ' truth for you !! It is so easy to let these other people think for you when life is so tough, eh?

see why we are falling apart? Almost a third of this nation actually are like that...and will follow the Bush cabal to hell rather than open their eyes. I say let them go...it is too much effort to try and turn a closed mind around.. Save your efforts for the people who actually have some possible chance of being redeemed by intelligent and thoughtful presentation of the evidence. These type folks are worth the effort!

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Ok Dick Cheney absolving himself of any type of oversight was definitely out of bounds but I just read this article on how the Dems want to cut funding to his office since he said it doesn't fall under being part of the Executive Branch. I don't understand rather then playing games why don't they just haul his butt into court and show him that its not going to be done his way instead of trying to blackmail him!!

Are they afraid of this guy?

Democrats plan to cut Cheney out of executive funding bill

Following Vice President Dick Cheney's assertion that his office is not a part of the executive branch of the US government, Democratic Caucus Chairman Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL) plans to introduce an amendment to the the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations bill to cut funding for Cheney's office.

The amendment to the bill that sets the funding for the executive branch will be considered next week in the House of Representatives.

"The Vice President has a choice to make. If he believes his legal case, his office has no business being funded as part of the executive branch," said Emanuel in a statement released to RAW STORY. "However, if he demands executive branch funding he cannot ignore executive branch rules. At the very least, the Vice President should be consistent. This amendment will ensure that the Vice President's funding is consistent with his legal arguments."

Source

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

Democrats plan to cut Cheney out of executive funding bill

Following Vice President Dick Cheney's assertion that his office is not a part of the executive branch of the US government, Democratic Caucus Chairman Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL) plans to introduce an amendment to the the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations bill to cut funding for Cheney's office.

The amendment to the bill that sets the funding for the executive branch will be considered next week in the House of Representatives.

"The Vice President has a choice to make. If he believes his legal case, his office has no business being funded as part of the executive branch," said Emanuel in a statement released to RAW STORY. "However, if he demands executive branch funding he cannot ignore executive branch rules. At the very least, the Vice President should be consistent. This amendment will ensure that the Vice President's funding is consistent with his legal arguments."

Source

This is the right way to approach this, I think. Give the VP an office in the Capitol Building where he belongs.

top topics

join