It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie sailors repel Iranian abduction attempt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
According to the report the Aussie sailors re-boarded the boat they were inspecting, aimed their machine guns at the Iranians and used "highly colourful language" to ward them off.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Iran 'unable to take Australians'
By Frank Gardner
BBC News security correspondent

The Australians have also been patrolling northern Gulf waters
Iranian naval forces in the Gulf tried to capture an Australian Navy boarding team but were vigorously repelled, the BBC has learned.
The incident took place before Iran successfully seized 15 British sailors and Marines in March.

The lessons from the earlier attempt do not appear to have been applied in time by British maritime patrols.

The 15 Britons were searching a cargo boat in the Gulf when they were captured over a boundary dispute.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 21-6-2007 by JamesinOz3]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesinOz3
According to the report the Aussie sailors re-boarded the boat they were inspecting, aimed their machine guns at the Iranians and used "highly colourful language" to ward them off.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Iran 'unable to take Australians'
By Frank Gardner
BBC News security correspondent

The Australians have also been patrolling northern Gulf waters
Iranian naval forces in the Gulf tried to capture an Australian Navy boarding team but were vigorously repelled, the BBC has learned.
The incident took place before Iran successfully seized 15 British sailors and Marines in March.

The lessons from the earlier attempt do not appear to have been applied in time by British maritime patrols.

The 15 Britons were searching a cargo boat in the Gulf when they were captured over a boundary dispute.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting story, lets see how it develops and what else we can learn from it. Hopefully, if this story is true, the lesson has been taken to heart by all allied navies in the region.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
"But military sources say that what is of concern is that the Royal Navy did not appear to have taken sufficient account of the lessons of the Australian encounter." The British navy was tring to be PC,look what it got them.
The Iranians keep pushing,to see what they can get away with.What they need is a good slapdown.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rdang
"But military sources say that what is of concern is that the Royal Navy did not appear to have taken sufficient account of the lessons of the Australian encounter." The British navy was tring to be PC,look what it got them.
The Iranians keep pushing,to see what they can get away with.What they need is a good slapdown.

The problem is what that slapdown might have lead to. In hindsight, given what is at stake, the British reaction may have been wiser. You can imagine a scenario in which a firefight developed between the Aussie navy and Iranian Revolutionary Guard gunboats, during which the USN and RAN got involved...

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Aussies are tostesterone cowboys and less likely to follow the same strict rules of engagement.

Sad to say since I am British myself, but the Brits are too inhibited by rules and indecision.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

The problem is what that slapdown might have lead to. In hindsight, given what is at stake, the British reaction may have been wiser. You can imagine a scenario in which a firefight developed between the Aussie navy and Iranian Revolutionary Guard gunboats, during which the USN and RAN got involved...

My personal life experiences is that Bullies thrive on intimidation. The Aussies showed they were not intimidated and like the inner cowards that all bullies are, The IRG bullies backed off.

Good on the Aussies.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I'm a very proud Aussie today. Go boys. Don't mess with the Australian Army.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesinOz3

Which is why the Iranians should think before they act.Actions sometimes have consequences.One day they will find out the hard way.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I can see where you are coming from, they may have been a tad foolish, but at least the Iranians will think twice about it. Aussie can be a little hot blooded sometimes, but that's a good thing in situations like that.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
NO Doubt. No DOubt. The Aussies are friggen awsome!! Thats how it's done.

"THe Aussies were having none of it" Awesome!!!!!

I could see it now.

Angry Iranian skipper commando screaming something in persian at the aussies. pulls out a combat knife.

aussie crew start laughing. Aussie skipper "thats not a knife"

Iranian raiders look at each other slightly confused at the aussies reaction

Aussies still laughing as their skipper pulls out his own knife "now this is a knife!"

Iranians turn white grumble to themselves turn around and solomly shuffle back onto their raiding craft and shove off.

chumps.

GO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been told by reputable people to never mess with Aussie marines either.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I've got a couple of Aussie mates in the marines in Afganistan. They are crazy bastards. The stories they tell me are nuts.

Americans marines are brave. British marines are well trained. Our marines are just insane i hate to say it. All of my marine mates need their heads read.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I know US Recon Marines that have seen Aussie marines show off their ballistic armor by taking 308 shots from 10 feet away in the torso for fun by their mates, when they were visiting australia a few years ago. I have no doubt that their stories are seriously crazy, I also from what i've heard have no doubt that they are most likely completely true too.

They take it to a whole 'nother level.

Don't mess with Aussie marines. Plus they have cooler guns than our marines. SA-80's right? love the bullpup design.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I honestly dont give a crap which army is the coolest, whos the bravest, its like my daddy is better than your daddy.

All this war business is too silly. Lives lost over all this silliness in the middle east, (palastine, Iraq etc.) lies everywhere, its getting so annoying and beyond belief, its like a whole bunch of kids have taken over the politicians and leaders. But thats life I guess, people never change.

ah well Im gonna go now and put the tv on and watch the news about Paris Hilton to get my mind off this. Yay.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Nah, i think the British have the SA-80's. The Aussies have Steyr's.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Phoenix, i totally agree with you. It's all silly. I just hear about it a lot cause my mates have been in the army since high school. Trust me i'd rather be talking about something else too.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Unfortunately, all this "silly talk" of war is sometimes necessary. We often forget that some people will see civility as a sign of weakness. That's when you want guys who will take 308 rounds from 10 feet for the fun of it, out in front.

I have, in the past dealt with British SAS, Royal Marines, and known some fine Australian Military folks. I have students who are currently in the US Army, and the, what was formerly known as, US Marines, Force Recon. They are all great. Not always who you want to take home to Mama, perhaps, but a whole big, DAMNED site more useful than television and Paris Hilton...

File those types of response under, "Give me a break".....

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   

so does the US and Israel
both countries need a slap down aswell along with Iran

on topic, now why couldnt the RN do that?
or learn from it

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Well weren't the British marines outnumbered and outgunned at gunpoint? There's no point trying to look hard if it's just going to get you shot, is there?

Obviously the Aussies weren't outgunned or caught off guard so they could successfully repel the Iranians.

Good on them though, and I like the way they used 'colourful language' lol

I can just imagine; "why dant yoo git tha fack off mah baat roight nah ya leedle sheet"

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Would anyone like to have a guess at the type of colourful language they used....lol
That would have been a cracker.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I can guess, there's probably a traing manual with what to say. I live in Australia. The F word is substituded for "Um" or "Wow!" or "Hell!" or "Ouch!" It's nearly like the verb "smurf"!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join