It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOF Extraction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Anybody seen this done before

view.break.com...

Very cool and moist, I`ve seen chinocks on water but never seen them do this kinda stunt before.

Anybody know if only US SEALS are doin this or anybody else uses the same tactic.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nescafe8572
Anybody seen this done before

view.break.com...

Very cool and moist, I`ve seen chinocks on water but never seen them do this kinda stunt before.

Anybody know if only US SEALS are doin this or anybody else uses the same tactic.

I actually made a post about this very subject in another thread and I'm afraid that people were ranting and raving at me saying that Chinooks do not float!

Well Hey guess what?!!!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

I actually made a post about this very subject in another thread and I'm afraid that people were ranting and raving at me saying that Chinooks do not float!

Well Hey guess what?!!!!!

A unit did try this with a different type of heli cannt remember the name/type but it did result in sinking.chinocks though are capable of floating with only some easy modifications.

This must be something reqularly trained for as the speed they entered was pretty rapid along with the size of the entry ramp.

[edit on 21-6-2007 by nescafe8572]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
They're not actually floating. They use the rotors to keep enough lift that they're still flying, they're just lowering the deck into the water, so they can bring the boats aboard.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
They are probably US Army SF and not SEALS, and I think that this really isn't done anymore. It is suspected that a Chinook crashed several days after doing something similar when some of the electronics had not dried out enough or water that was not emptied from the aircraft seeped into an electronics bay.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
They're not actually floating. They use the rotors to keep enough lift that they're still flying, they're just lowering the deck into the water, so they can bring the boats aboard.

The chinock modified can float without using the rotors.from what I here this extraction metod is still currently being used.the heli prev mentioned that crashed cancelled that type only, thi chinock hasn`t encountered any problems and therefore still used.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I once watched a group of lads from 42 Commando Royal Marines do this on an exercise in the Lake District. It was bloody intense just watching. The downwash from the Chinook's blades was a real nightmare for the lads in the Raider because they have to run in as straight as possible or risk bouncing off the rear end of the chopper. The pilot then has to tilt the airframe backwards and apply power so that the aircraft empties the water out the back and starts to climb. I later learned that the pilot has to perform a constant juggling act with the collective just to keep the thing horizontal and have enough power to pull the airframe free of the water's suction effect. Currently the Chinook is undergoing a major overhaul and should have started the various trials.

Next Generation Chinook CH-47F Info :
www.gizmag.com...

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Silent-Night]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I *think* I remember reading about Chinooks that had inflatable things on the undercarriage fairings for water landings.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   

looks like it floats afterall.

top topics

join