It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thai parliament outlaws marital rape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   

BANGKOK -- Thais could face up to 20 years in jail for raping their spouses under a new law passed by parliament, government officials and women's rights activists said Thursday.

The National Legislative Assembly, appointed by a junta which seized power in a coup last year, on Wednesday amended current criminal laws and overwhelmingly passed the nation's first marital rape bill.

News Source

20 years for raping their own spouse? Even though that I agree in principle about charging a rape case to a spoude, I still think that 20 years in jail as a penalty is a bit too much.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Ill mildly agree that 20 years is a little steep, but I think marital rape is very overlooked. Imagine being used by your own spouse, in many ways this is the worst kind of rape because it is perpetrated by someone you trusted and even loved. You probably cant imagine the mental torture and anguish this would cause the person. Its really an ultimate betrayal of love and trust, it shatters the persons views that their spouse could have even loved them and used them like they were a toy for their power and frustrations. Married or not, a crime like that definetly desereves a steep sentence, otherwise its like telling the public a married man has the right to abuse his wife!

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
damn double post. why does my computer keep doing that, I promise I only clicked once. lol

[edit on 21-6-2007 by nisurastar]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't get it, how can you rape something that belongs to you? After she signed on the dotted line she became your property so...

new topics

top topics

join