It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Secession

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Sign me up! Oh, wait, I already signed up back in the 90's when the first Republic of Texas movement started.

There was alot of serious research done, a declaration of independence (or something similar) filed in the World Court and a number of other things done/filed for Texas to once again become the Republic of Texas and be rid of the feds. Unfortunately, the media came called, demonized the movement, branded us all as whack jobs, etc.. Then the guy that headed it up died or something and a real whack job took over and things started falling apart.
The final nail in the coffin was the event at Ft. Davis.

I wish I could remember more of the details, but that was a while ago and my memory fails me.

I do know they did feasability studies to determine if Texas had the resources to be independent of the US and it was determined that our resources would be second to none and we would be a very wealthy country, if it ever happened.

It was a pretty strong movement until the media started with their hit jobs and then the power hungry, corrupt idiots took over.

I'm pretty sure that someone still has all the research/paperwork done back then and is just holding on to it until the majority of Texans get a belly full of the feds, then it will all start to resurface.

I think this site probably has alot of the original stuff, but I haven't read it, so don't know for sure.

www.anus.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiso_us

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
There is allegedly a clause in our Constitution that allows us the right to secede from the USA but I've never actually read it myself.

This basically has to do primarily with the 10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Technically & literally, the only Powers that the People have authorized for the US Government are limited strictly to what the Constitution itself specifies & preventing State secession is not specifically listed. Whereas all other Powers are granted to the States & People, so that must also include the Right to secede from the federal government!

Leave it to the Lone Star State to stand up proud...But they won't be alone! At least Arizona & Oklahoma have also passed certain legislative measures to resist should the federal government crosses certain lines too. Although I don't know for certain, I'd feel safe in saying that quite a few other States will follow suit...After all, at least 23 States have resisted (or outright banned) the implementation of the Real ID Card.

That brings me to ask this Question: If a Con Con is called and the constitution is changed (Virginia in 2009), how or would that effect Texas from seceding from the union or any other states for that matter?.

Likely the only way to have any state succeed without dispute would be by a constitutional convention, a con-con, once one is called by 3/4 of the states, it could basically do anything it wanted to do including dissolving the current union and constitution. There are no constraints on the changes a con-con could make, and for that reason people either love or hate the idea. A con-con is viewed as being the will of the people that would be above the 3 branches. Last I checked there were only a few states needing to request one in order for it to happen.

Using the 10th amendment,.. interesting idea, but since the 10th amendment was in effect at the time of the civil war, it seems some people have a problem with using this as justification. I think it comes from the idea that the entire constitution is a binding contract with no time constraint. Once you are in, you can't leave unless both parties agree, the state and the rest of the union. I don't know though, I am not am expert. It's interesting the founders did not address this issue.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by morefiber

I'm not so sure about that. You see, by trade I am a land surveyor. At the engineering firm I work for, we recently sent one of our surveyors down to Texas to gain his Texas license. He failed (another reason I hate Texas, damned metes and bounds!).
Anyhow, in order to become a licensed Land Surveyor in any State you must be familiar with said state's land laws.
He informed me, and I'll have to check back with him on this after the Holiday, that Texas actually has to renew its unionship each and every year. Basically that means that at any given time, Texas can become its own Republic by simply not signing some documents...
I'll get back with you guys on the particulars if I can pry them out of him.
His wife is a lawyer specializing in land dispute, also. So I don't take what he says lightly.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Mods, please allow this long external content:

Here is the text of the Texas annexation treaty.

An Ordinance

Whereas,

the Congress of the United States of America has passed resolutions providing for the annexation of Texas to that Union, which resolutions were offered by the President of the United States on the first day of March, 1845; and

Whereas,

the President of the United States has submitted to Texas the first and second sections of said resolutions, as the basis upon which Texas may be admitted as one of the States of the said Union; and

Whereas,

the existing Government of the Republic of Texas, has assented to the proposals thus made, --the terms and conditions of which are as follows:

"Joint Resolutions for annexing Texas to the United States

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That Congress doth consent that the territory properly included within and rightfully belonging to the Republic of Texas, may be erected into a new State to be called the State of Texas, with a republican form of government adopted by the people of said Republic, by deputies in convention assembled, with the consent of the existing Government in order that the same may by admitted as one of the States of this Union.

2nd. And be it further resolved, That the foregoing consent of Congress is given upon the following conditions, to wit: First, said state to be formed, subject to the adjustment by this government of all questions of boundary that may arise with other government, --and the Constitution thereof, with the proper evidence of its adoption by the people of said Republic of Texas, shall be transmitted to the President of the United States, to be laid before Congress for its final action on, or before the first day of January, one thousand eight hundred and forty-six. Second, said state when admitted into the Union, after ceding to the United States all public edifices, fortifications, barracks, ports and harbors, navy and navy yards, docks, magazines and armaments, and all other means pertaining to the public defense, belonging to the said Republic of Texas, shall retain funds, debts, taxes and dues of every kind which may belong to, or be due and owing to the said Republic; and shall also retain all the vacant and unappropriated lands lying within its limits, to be applied to the payment of the debts and liabilities of said Republic of Texas, and the residue of said lands, after discharging said debts and liabilities, to be disposed of as said State may direct; but in no event are said debts and liabilities to become a charge upon the Government of the United States. Third -- New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; and such states as may be formed out of the territory lying south of thirty-six degrees thirty minutes north latitude, commonly known as the Missouri Compromise Line, shall be admitted into the Union, with or without slavery, as the people of each State, asking admission shall desire; and in such State or States as shall be formed out of said territory, north of said Missouri compromise Line, slavery, or involuntary servitude (except for crime) shall be prohibited."

Now in order to manifest the assent of the people of this Republic, as required in the above recited portions of said resolutions, we the deputies of the people of Texas, in convention assembled, in their name and by their authority, do ordain and declare, that we assent to and accept the proposals, conditions and guarantees, contained in the first and second sections of the Resolution of the Congress of the United States aforesaid.

In testimony whereof, we have hereunto subscribed our names

Thomas J. Rusk
President

followed by 61 signatures

Attest
James H. Raymond
Secretary of the Convention.

SOURCE:
Journals of the Constitution Convention of Texas, 1845, pub. in Austin by Miner and Cruger, Printers to the Constitution, 1845, pp. 367-370.

www.tsl.state.tx.us...

Now, as far as I can tell, that does not give us the right to secede again.

But, if push came to shove, I don't think we would care, we've seceded successfully once before.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Except from www.texassecession.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">http...://www.texassecession.com/FAQ.htm
What steps will Texas take to become an independent nation? Conduct a referendum similar to the Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2007. The Texas Legislature will direct the Texas Elections Commission to conduct a plebiscite in Texas on the question of its status and relationship with the United States. Requiring the ballot to provide for voters to choose: (1) independence; or (2) to continue the present status and relationship. Afterwards Texas will send a "Request for Texas Independence" to Washington. The United States will agree and send ambassadors to Texas helping to facilitate a peaceful separation between our two nations. There is no need to fight.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Of all the Texans I have known,if they actually did what they say they can would be a different story,everyone I've met talk the talk but can't walk the walk,I think Texas will go back to Mexico,my dad was raised in Texas,he said best part about it was seeing it in the rear view mirror,realistically I would stay away from the east coast,several retired agents have sold property in the east and have relocated to the Pac northwest

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join