It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Apollo Moon pictures take a bath

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
If nasa faked the apollo missions, then the old scans will become even more damaging. It may be a good idea to copy and make backups just in case someday they are "replaced" with the newer polished scans.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhihni

This is the reason for the original post. Are these new high resolution scans supposed to be historically accurate, or are they just basically new marketing pics? The dirt looks like it has been washed away. Any one who has seen only the new scans see a nice clean suit.

And this leads to other questions. Are the older pics more historically accurate than the new ones. Have we ever seen the most accurately scanned pics yet?

So sorry for the delay. My weekend ended up not allowing any free time.

The amount of soil on the suit is the same. Look closely. You don't need anyone else, just your eyes. The mid-ranges have been lightened so the soiling of the suits looks less obvious. The filter they used appears to be a lot like the Nikon "D-Lighting" filter in "CaptureNX" which only lightens shadows or darker parts of an image while preserving color and detail. The colors would be done by picking an item on a suit of a known color value. Then you can adjust to get accurate color for the whole image just by knowing the one color value.

I'd guess (only a guess) that NASA is just trying to preserve these old photo's and while they are at it they are correcting color and enhancing them. They would be criticized if they did not do this and they will be criticized for doing this. Either way the original negatives are probably degraded beyond repair and the prints are probably reaching their shelf life. It is good they are addressing this.

I still plan on making a basic explanation of things like shadows, perspective and such. Time is at a premium right now due to work. I have a few days off coming up and I'll try and put something together as another post..

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join