It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Terror By Dan Simmons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Has anyone read this book. So far its interesting, after all the info on the boat and voyage(boring),lol. What did you guys think of it?. Try not to spoil it,lol.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Not read, I've read Hyperion and Return to Hyperion and it was awesome.

Will try this one.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
2007? I forgot about this one. Actually I had misplaced the book a few years ago and bought another copy. It's still in my library but I haven't gotten around to finishing it. I made it through half of the novel which was enough for me to realize that I will never go to the Arctic.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Here's my Dan Simmons deal, fwiw: I bought Song of Kali based on terrific reviews and indications it was so incredibly scary. I'm always looking for a book that is really scary ... and 95% of the books people recommend as scary books are so not scary. It was pretty good for a good while. It definitely built up some really eerie suspense and was pretty creepy. But, and it's been a while, the last fifth or so totally sucked beyond belief (to me) and completely ruined the book, as a whole. So much so that I vowed never to read anything by him again. I hate sucky pay-off. Yes, I can still appreciate the parts that I liked, but not very much. As such, I've avoided him like the plague, despite being interested in his sci-fi and The Terror. I finally did by Carrion Comfort, again because a lot of people have said it's the scariest book ever. I never learn. I imagine one day I'll start it and we'll see where we go. I would think that if it was worth it, the book would be a lot more popular than I think it is ... but of course this is not always a valid rule by any means.

Only two books that ever scared me (and in both, it was only a scene or two): Pet Sematary and 'Salem's Lot; plus, there was one scene in The Stand that I still think about that disturbs me. Desolation wasn't scary so much, but it did disturb me. And I'm not even a King fan so much anymore. But he just used to right some scary stuff.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian
Here's my Dan Simmons deal, fwiw: I bought Song of Kali based on terrific reviews and indications it was so incredibly scary. I'm always looking for a book that is really scary ... and 95% of the books people recommend as scary books are so not scary. It was pretty good for a good while. It definitely built up some really eerie suspense and was pretty creepy. But, and it's been a while, the last fifth or so totally sucked beyond belief (to me) and completely ruined the book, as a whole. So much so that I vowed never to read anything by him again. I hate sucky pay-off. Yes, I can still appreciate the parts that I liked, but not very much. As such, I've avoided him like the plague, despite being interested in his sci-fi and The Terror. I finally did by Carrion Comfort, again because a lot of people have said it's the scariest book ever. I never learn. I imagine one day I'll start it and we'll see where we go. I would think that if it was worth it, the book would be a lot more popular than I think it is ... but of course this is not always a valid rule by any means.

Only two books that ever scared me (and in both, it was only a scene or two): Pet Sematary and 'Salem's Lot; plus, there was one scene in The Stand that I still think about that disturbs me. Desolation wasn't scary so much, but it did disturb me. And I'm not even a King fan so much anymore. But he just used to right some scary stuff.

I like Simmons but his books are not particularly scary I will agree. I did not enjoy Carrion Comfort at all. I loved Children of the Night and Summer of Night as well as LifeDeath which is a collection of novellas two of which are out of this world excellent.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Yes I just finished Hyperion it is a great book. It's like The Canterbury Tales in Space with Templars flying treeships.

He is a brilliant prose writer. Must read The Fall Of Hyperion too. Must.

That story of the life of Brawne Lamia, the tough female private detective, is awesome. It predicts internet culture quite well.

I will eventually get around to reading his horror novels too, just for the simple fact that I now know he is a writer of great talent. The TERROR and CARRION COMFORT are top of the list after The FALL OF HYPERION.

edit on 22-2-2011 by WormTyrant because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join