It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrimp shoots rounds as HOT as the Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Well, well, well

I found this crustacean and video to be very interesting. Yhis is a shrimp that can shoot/stun it's prey with super hot air bubbles

Shooting shrimp

Now that weapon could be great in the Jacuzzi with friends

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Damn that could probably kill a man if it was close enough and "shot" in the right place !!

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
That's pretty weird and amazing. I was skeptical at first of the claim that the bubbles get as hot as the sun, but here's an article in the journal Nature that also backs up that claim:

www.nature.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I wonder if the principle could be adapted for fishing?

Got a couple of ideas allready - not telling yet tho!

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I wonder if the principle could be adapted for fishing?

Got a couple of ideas allready - not telling yet tho!

How about just dropping ina stick of dynamite - just like good 'ol Croc Dundee

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

"Pistol shrimp (also called snapping shrimp) produce a type of sonoluminescence from a collapsing bubble caused by quickly snapping a specialized claw. The light produced is of lower intensity than the light produced by typical sonoluminescence, and is not visible to the naked eye" - WIKI

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
When submarines collapse under pressure beneath the waves, the air gets compressed so suddenly that it creates a massive flashover of flame. Same principle.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The infamous Pistol Shrimp. Those guys are saltwater aquarium hobbiest worst nightmares. Many are anyways. I had some from the local waters that could only get up to about an inch long. They never managed to cause any trouble that i noticed. Every now and then you'd hear a rather loud snapping noise coming from the tank when they'd fire their guns near the bottom of the glass (.5" tempered). Or maybe it was just them firing it period, but it sounded like a glass issue. They never killed eachother, and i don't recall observing the fish freak out when they'd shoot as they probably got used to the ruckus.

But then there's the larger variety like the one in the video there. Those are the dreaded. They can hitchhike in on "liverocks" when they are too small to ever detect, and then they grow up. They can use that gun to shoot your fish, or they can hunt them at night. I've read stroies about people never being able to even spot their shrimps unless sneaking on them at night with colored flashlights. Actually getting rid of them is a whole other story. They can crack the glass of a 10 gallon tank.

Mine were cool because they couldn't cause much trouble and they actually were beneficial as they'd keep sand from being underneath the rocks in even the most remote places. One hitchhiked in and I observed it's cleaner habit, so I went and found 2 more.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

top topics

join