It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: China Admits Another Suspected SARS Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Coming only days after confirmation of the first non-laboratory SARS case in six months, China's Xinhua news agency is reporting another potential case.
Just as "Mr. Luo," the 32 year old recently diagnosed with the disease, received a clear bill of health and was released from the hospital, reports are surfacing of another Guangzhong resident entering isolation.

In a rather understated mention, Xinhua reports that a 20 year old waitress exhibiting symptoms of SARS has been admitted to an area hospital. Details were obviously slim in the one-sentence notice from the state-sponsored news agency. The young woman is a waitress in a restaurant serving wild game, but there is no confirmation as to how she could have potentially contracted the SARS virus.
China has recently begun a movement to slaughter civet cats, a popular wild game delicacy in the region. A virus found in many civets shows some similarity to the human SARS virus, leading scientists to belive the disease may have originated from the weasel-like animal.
BBC.co.uk Link
Canada.com Link

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Some reports are now coming out that this has been confirmed as the 2nd new SARS case since last year's outbreak ended.
Several people in Hong Kong are also reported to have possibly contracted the virus.
Link

-B.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Its not a surprise to me. I saw some report on TV a couple of weeks ago saying the laws put in place to protect against SARS were being ignored in many areas of China. It was just a matter of time.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Guangzhong Province again. It looks like we may have case #3.
Link
I'm interested to know if these new/potentially new cases are being caused by the same variant (or mutated?) strain of last year's SARS virus.

-B.

new topics

top topics

join