It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your Sunscreen Work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Interesting study on sunscreen lotions and whether or not they offer protection from the sun

Link

The study cites the following:

A new study claims five of six sunscreens inadequately block harmful rays or contain substances with “significant” safety issues

I have to ask, how long has this been going on?

I have always assumed (insert old addage here
), that all the sunscreens approved for sale offered the same protection.

The Environmental Working Group plans to report today that just 128 of 785 sunscreens studied offer “very good sun protection with ingredients that present minimal health risks.”

The group gives 620 other products “Caution” ratings and lists the remaining 37 as “Avoid.”

Two listed as AVOID are by Coppertone and by Neutragena.

Apparently, most sunscreens offer UVB protection which helps prevent burns and basic skin irritations, whereas only a minimal amount offer UVA protetion, which causes skin cancer as well as premature skin aging.

I guess I will have to pay more attention to the labels rather then who makes it from now on.

I was really surprised to see Coppertone listed as an 'avoid'.

The stuff you learn.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
As those of us who burn easily can tell you, not all sunscreens are created equal. I've taken to wearing long sleeves and a hat when I go out (and sunscreen for the beach... heavy protection sunscreen).

If you have sensitive skin, this is one of the issues that you watch. I occasionally check resources like Consumer Reports on this kind of thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I use zinc cream because the salt water makes the sunscreen drip into and sting your eyes, so I wonder how effective zinc creams actually are.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
www.cosmeticsdatabase.com...

This is a link to the what they say are recommended in the study - I can'y seem to work out how the scoring works though - anyone have an idea on whats the best here.

I mainly want to find out for my kids - I am a pasty computer nerd that avoids the sun ... arggghhhh it burns... burns...

On the upside - I am 31, but most people think I am in my mid twenties...

[edit on 20-6-2007 by sobolwolf]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
WOW
I use Bullfrog and it looks like it is not good at all.
I also use Coppertone on my 1 year old. Not anymore!

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
I also use Coppertone on my 1 year old. Not anymore!

Ditto for my kids as well.

I always purchased based on Brand rather than actually checking the label. False sense of security I guess.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sobolwolf

I mainly want to find out for my kids - I am a pasty computer nerd that avoids the sun ... arggghhhh it burns... burns...

On the upside - I am 31, but most people think I am in my mid twenties...

[edit on 20-6-2007 by sobolwolf]

Same here chap!

I know a few girls who worship the sun, one to extremes, yet they don't seem able to get past the tan and notice that they look like old, leather handbags!

Me, I try to only go out into the sun to move from one building to another...

Although I did go down to Bournemouth a few weeks ago, but I was well covered and on my exposed bits I used my 3 year old daughters Factor 60.

Works a treat!

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Before you slap on handfulls of suncreams, you may want to read this article on the risks of bodily absorption of Titanium Dioxide found in most suncreams. The particle-size is on the micro to nano scale and can be readily absorbed through the skin.

Table 1: Measurements of [Titanium Dioxide] Mineral Pigment Particles

Particle Size Measurement
Coarse Less than 10 microns
Fine Less than 2.5 microns
Ultrafine (nanoparticles) Less than 0.1 microns or 100 nanometres

Table 2: Particle Size and Entry into the Human Body

Nanoparticle Size Entry Point
70 nanometres Alveolar surface of lung
50 nanometres Cells
30 nanometres Central Nervous System
Less than 20 nanometres No data yet

new topics