It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cultural war on terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

cultural war on terrorism

politics.guardian.co.uk

Gordon Brown has pledged to wage a cultural war on terrorism similar to that used against communism during the cold war.

Speaking to the Association of Chief Police Officers, Mr Brown said it was vital to win hearts and minds, and today's generation had to address the threat. "We must work across society to isolate the extremists from society to protect and advance the British way of life," he told the Acpo conference in Manchester.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
is it just me or is the focus shifting from Islamic terrorist to anybody that follows alternative news and doesn't support the official government story.

I honestly believe that in 4 years time you will no longer be able to view websites like ATS.

I'm just glad i enjoyed time in our world withought this madness.

politics.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Children have been conceived, born, and gone through kindergarten since 911. What will their political consciousness be in 15 years? This is where the war is being fought.

www.au.af.mil...

The people in charge now don't understand how the proliferation of cheap, digital media has influenced culture. This is compounded by fact that they furthermore do not understand the youth culture. It's like there's an extra generation tucked away in there, two 10-year generations instead of a 20-year generation, and the people in charge can't tell what cultural expressions are idiomatic and which are indications of more profound cultural self-examinations.

It seems also that many of the people currently positioning themselves for power in the future were too busy enjoying themselves in the 1990's to have really grasped how the culture changed.

I remember how unnerving it was around 2000, when everybody suddenly started carrying cellphones. There was a period when, walking down the street, I would hear half a conversation behind me and wonder whether I was being followed by a crazy person or somebody with a cellphone. It was a rapid, profound shift in the types of sounds with which we as a culture surround ourselves.

I really hope some of our "leaders" start waking up really soon. They govern according to mythologies that the younger generations no longer accept.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
These word, hearts and minds, have been used before. I don't think using them has done any good thus far. So don't really know how much of a difference it will make now.
All I can really say positive is that the terrorist don't seem to be after winning the hearts and minds, they will take the easy path and just destroy all of them.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
With respect to the content of the article, this is a question that I personally have struggled with. How vehemently should a group of people fight to retain their culture? This includes groups like Americans, Britons, Christians, Israelis, Palestinians, Russians, and all cross-sections among them. We here on this message board don't want our small culture challenged, I'm sure. At what point does fighting for one's culture become wrong? (I wish I had a better word than "wrong," but words like "jingoistic" and "racist" just don't seem to fit.)

Practically speaking, should, for example, one of the motivating factors behind fixing illegal immigration in the United States be one of preserving American culture? What if UFO debunkers decided that they wanted ATS to be their primary discussion board? Would it be wrong of us to say "we don't want you here"? What if they started outnumbering us?

Again, these are hard questions, at least to me. What do people think?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
good point you make Togetic.

What is american culture? It seems to me that it's a huge contradiction. The way those illegal immigrants came over to this land and conquered it in the first place was bad. Horrible. Now there's this focus on immigrants and terrorists. To me it sounds like anyone who doesn't agree with the american viewpoint.

The only culutre I know here is waste, ingorance, deception and greed. Some culture to preserve...

new topics

top topics

join