It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruce Lee Tribute

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
like if jet li went into the ring with some champion muy thai boxer what would happen? Bruce Lee's Jeet Kun Do however would probably be more useful in an actual fight. it at least incorporates a variety of martial arts and is more realistic to real life situations in that respect.

If Jet Li got into the ring with a pro Muay Thai fighter he'd get splattered all over the canvas lol. Wouldn't even need to be a champion! Jet Li is cool though. Muchos respect to him, but he's not a fighter. To get good in combat, u gotta take part in combat. Thats why it annoys me when people say Shaolin monks would destory any1 in any form of fight but they don't cause they don't agree with fighting... Don't get me wrong, the things they train themselves to be able to do is absolutely incredible!!! But if they were put straight in the ring they wouldn't have much chance of winning againt someone with a good few fights experience.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Yep thats where I was going with the jet Li inference. Still want to hang with him though.

Buuuuuut.....Try blocking a Muy Thai flying knee to the chest...just try it...see what happens. It's probably like trying to block a Pickup truck as it slams into you...not going to be very effective.

Yep most street fighters will devastate almost any unseasoned (in combat) martial artists.

Would love to hear your buddies take on Aikido. It's a beautiful art, subtly effective too if you are really good at it.

Good posts.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Also, most people that are unseasoned in a street fight (any real fight, where the other guy definitely wants to do physical harm to you) will usually react in emotional shock the first time they are punched or bitch slapped. I did. most real martial artists or fighters will admit it too. it's literally a stunning experience if you aren't ready for it or experienced it before. It's not often I see someone get punched suddenly who doesn't look like some veteran fighter who doesn't act a little stunned emotionally and they sorta freeze up. most people don't immediatly lunge back into the fight like some tiger on an adrenalin surge they sorta ball up. drunks might though but they usually don't fight too well sorta makes bouncers lives easier i guess. although I'm no fan of bouncers i usually mouth off to them if they look at me strange when I'm drunk, which is not a good thing since I'm 5,3. I am 196lbs though most of it muscle so said bouncer might be in for a surprise + I can take a hit.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Fighting on the street is always very different to training or fighting in the ring. It never goes to plan lol. Even as a Pro Thai Boxer I know that in a street fight quite a bit of my technique goes out of the window lol.
Funny story actually... I was walking my now girl friend and her friend home after a night out and we got jumped by a group of lads. 3 of them came over and one of them walked over and smacked me. It didn't hurt in the slightest, but I knew it was gonna happen and yet still didn't get my hands up cause of been on adrenaline and been worried about the girls. I smacked him and his friend ran at me from the side, grabbed on, and ran me into a caravan parked on sum1's drive. I got a full Thai clinch on him, jumped for the knee, half landed, but slipped cause of the dress shoes I was wearing ha ha ha. Landed right on my arse! Then someone I knew who knew them ran over and stopped it all. Now I know for a fact that if it was an organised fight I could have had all of them go for me and I wouldn't have had a problem, but just cause of the shock of it, didn't work out quite the same lol. The first guy who punched me came out the worse though lol. Took a nice chunk out of him! I was fine apart from bruising my hip a bit from falling on my arse, and the girls were fine, just a bit upset from the shock.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Interesting stories fellers, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Sorry to sorta highjack the thread and change the topic a little lol.To get back on the topic, I saw this video a while back and thought it was kinda cool...

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
That was a cool video. That was pretty awesome the way that guy painted the whole thing with the side of his hand.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
although I'm no fan of bouncers i usually mouth off to them if they look at me strange when I'm drunk, which is not a good thing since I'm 5,3. I am 196lbs though most of it muscle so said bouncer might be in for a surprise + I can take a hit.

So are you trained in any martial arts BASSPLYR?

You have a lot of weight for a guy your size.(not an insult) I'm not a very big guy either, I'm about Bruce Lees size. that's probably why I like him so much, representin' for the small man.

[edit on 14-7-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hey guys what a great thread. Bruce Lee was a great martial artist and is a great role model for people from all walks of life because of his utter determination in all the things he did in his life. I own a piece of film from Enter the Dragon which I got through a friend who owned a martial arts movie and training video supplies company, a martial artist/acting and PR agency and he also started Giko (a MA equipment store chain) in the UK and was friends with Linda Lee many years ago.
I practiced and taught Aikido for over 15 years (maybe a bit longer, but I don't want to give away how old I am!! Lol) and know from experience that some people interpret O'sensei's teachings very differently, some following more of the "Ai" and some following more of the "Ki" leading to slightly differing aproaches to self defence as well as the move to a more mixed sytle of martial arts which I feel we owe on part to Bruce Lee.

Here is a link I started about ATS martial artists
How many ATSers practice martial arts
Feel free to use this thread if you want to talk about different aspects of martial artists and so not hijack a great thread about a great teaher and Philosopher.
Great vid you found there Bro!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Yeah. Aikido/Hopkido (about 3 years maybe a little less), Kabujitsu (some, enough to work some weapons) Kendo (same as before), Tae Kwon Do (Black Belt), kickboxing (a few years,). Tried learning a little Kung Fu for a bit but the stuffs harder than it looks, and I was getting un focused about martial arts in general at the time.

Yeah. whean I was in really good shape and had low body fat I could never get below 165 at 5, 3" Built like a mini linebacker. Always put me in upper middleweight range in competitions which had me going up against guys much taller than me. Now I've put on a few pounds, have a desk job, and haven't done martial arts in a few years. my body sorta did what a lot of high school football players (which I never was) do after they get a little older. the meat marbleizes. I weighed myself yesterday and i'm more like 188-190 now.

Did gymnastics before martial arts as a little boy from like 7 to 12 Built up a lot of muscle naturally that way instead of growing tall. Although my family is generally short. I am also dense boned. more bone less marrow. it's hard for me to break my bones they are like rocks. When I was 16 my bone age and platelets were as developed as a 22 year old. so I probably gain an extra 10 pounds with extra skeletal weight.

I don't look fat though. more like a short Jack Black. face too...except I'm not that talented.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
That's pretty awesome BASSPLYR, sounds like you're built to be a fighter.

It also seems like you're pretty well studied in the different martial arts which is also a good thing, keep it up man.

[edit on 19-7-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Cool, thank you! Always into more info of him.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
hey bass, it's hapkido

imo, bruce was a cool movie star, NOT a fighter.

anyway, imo i think that muay thai is the single most effective standup style you could train in....
it teaches how to fight in the clinch and how to use effective low kicks, elbows and knees. those are devastating blows.

you take up learning muay thai and also learn some grappling and you're on your way to being able to do some serious damage.

most real fights go to the ground....even if you got two boxers ready to scrap in an alley. within seconds they will be clinched and on the ground, where they will proceed to flail around with no clue on what to do.

you can not throw an effective blow from your back.

i love muay thai and studied for a long time, but i am a grappler at heart....i LOVE to roll and i LOVE joint manipulations.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Good comment on BL.

Looking back I'd say he was similar to 'white collar' boxing. They do all the training and even put on gear and spar a little, but realizing they make their money with their brains don't wish to get them scrambled.

Though he was one of the first MA to work with equipment and gear like boxers, he only sparred with low level guys (his students). Some of his students were decent amateur boxers, so he had a little experience, unlike most of the paper tigers.

For perspective watch early Ed Parker vids. He looks almost comical, but he and his guys were literally feared (like the mafia without guns). BL scared Ed Parker. That's something.

Still I agree, not a fighter, never learned to take a punch, was not very 'durable' and knew it.

For all that they still can't replace him on the big screen even today.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yeah I agree most to all fights end up on the ground. Or bouncing off of objects like a pin ball. Muy Thai is probably the most vicious realistic style to learn. although I like what kempo teaches. That stuff is pretty realistic too.

Bruce lee is still probably the best actor to do martial arts in the history of film. He was so expressive in his features, really helped communicate to the audience better.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Hey guys, check out this new Bruce Lee music video I found, the song is awesome.

I have it on my ipod and always play it when I go to the gym to get pumped up.

Google Video Link

Bruce is the man, his level of physical fitness is so inspiring. I also love his cocky attitude.

Pay attention around 1:11, how the heck does he do that!?!? He's so flexible too.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Love the vid avenger, wasn't that a young Chuck Norris, just wish Bruce was still here, he'd be kickin' Jet Li's arse in that new movie WAR.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by steve-o

Yeah that was chuck, that's when he used to wear his beard on his back.

Did you see around 1:11, that was crazy.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
ha classic, i thought that those were aliens about to bust out through his shoulder blades.

never turn your back on a drunk.
gold!!

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo4sale

LOL, I told you that was weird.

The song is cool too, has some weird lyrics. thanks for watching guys.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join