It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruce Lee Tribute

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I just found this awesome Bruce Lee tribute video on youtube, thought I'd share it with you all.

Man it gets me so pumped! Enjoy!

WARNING: music contains some explicit lyrics. Video contains Martial Arts violence.

[edit on 19-6-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Completely Awsome. The man is a legend.

I may go a little Bruce Lee on the people living in the flat above me if they don't ease up with the noise...

So who do you think killed him then?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey

Hmm, I don't know if he was really murdered, it's an interesting theory though.

Do you have any links on it?

Sucks he had to die so young, I wanted to meet him

What do you think was the cause of his death?

SR

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

Hmm, I don't know if he was really murdered, it's an interesting theory though.

Do you have any links on it?

Sucks he had to die so young, I wanted to meet him

What do you think was the cause of his death?

Was it a brain aneurysm?? The dude's death is a conspiracy as well theres like he was assinated, brain aneurysm, he died of an acute allegic reaction to some aspirin etc. etc. so many different versions to believe in

He was defintely one of the physically fittest men this planet has ever seen in his Jeet Kun Do book it's got a picture of him just standing there and he looks so small physically but he's free lifting this huge bar of weights that a bodybuilder or olympic weight lifter would like nothing. You would think that's impossible but the guy had crazy stats in terms of human fitness.

Here's talk of his death it isn't amazingly detailed though just about his real death and the supposed curse the family had in the movie about him.

www.chasingthefrog.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
You forgot to mention the crazy monks and their vibrating hands of death!

Again this was for spilling the secrets of the ancient ways.

SR

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

You forgot to mention the crazy monks and their vibrating hands of death!

Again this was for spilling the secrets of the ancient ways.

LOL yeahhhhhhh the Dim Mak strike as well!! I remember reading along time ago on a website about chinese monks that Dim Mak delayed death touches were proven to be be real and some could be stopped 'cured' by certain techniques like there's was a whole science behind it. Crazy and these monk's could punch holes into trees and stop swords with there hands etc like Mas oyama could.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SR

LOL yeahhhhhhh the Dim Mak strike as well!! I remember reading along time ago on a website about chinese monks that Dim Mak delayed death touches were proven to be be real and some could be stopped 'cured' by certain techniques like there's was a whole science behind it. Crazy and these monk's could punch holes into trees and stop swords with there hands etc like Mas oyama could.

Really?! that sounds crazy, I wonder if it was the Shaolin monks, those guys are amazing!

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
His dedication and love of Martial Arts is truly inspirational.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I love me some Bruce Lee!

hell I love me some ol' kung fu flicks

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I really like his book called Striking Thoughts. It is a book where he talks about life and philosophy. He seemed like a tolerant and open minded person. I like his teaching.

Very awesome of you to remind me of him Humble

"Do not expend power prematurely - wait in the calm strength of patience - he that is strong should guard it with tenderness. One need not fear lest strong will should not prevail; the main thing is not to expend one's powers prematurely in an attempt to obtain by force something for which the time is not yet ripe." Bruce Lee in Striking Thoughts

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
he died of an aneurism.

bruce lee was a great thinker/philosopher.
he was a great traditional martial artist and instructor. he was a killer international martial arts movie star.

as far as his technique goes though, meh.
he was great on a wooden man or on a bag. he was very fast and strong for his size but i don't see the wonder in his methods.
i don't think any of his stuff(with exception of the very little grappling and joint manipulations he talked about in his tao) were effective at all.

bruce lee, IMO is the single most over rated martial artist on the planet. i realize i will not gain many fans cause of this but thats how i feel.
i have been into martial arts since before i can remember.
studied western boxing, tai chi, muay thai, folk and greco wrestling and a couple others. i just don't see bruce lee's technique as effective. had he lived on, he would NOT hold the status that he holds today....

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
this shows a small bit of his 'training'
i will try to imbed this but i see sloppy kicking and pretty bad boxing. lots of praticing of the teribly uneffective high kick.

www.youtube.com...

i am much more into bruce for his philosophy. his technique, whatever were average at best.
now his speed and strength is a different story.
i guess i just never understood the hardcore love for a martial artists that never fought.

too bad we couldn't have seen him go up against rolls gracie. that would have been nice to see bruce tap tap taparoo

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Pumped isn't the word.

I'm always amazed with anything Bruce Lee!

The size of that guy, and him 'taking on' people twice his size? See the parts where he literally lifts them up off their feet and throws them? Or when he took on Kareem Abdul Jabar>

Ok.. the above emote doesn't look like him...lol..but you get the drift.

I saw 'Enter the Dragon' a few nites ago, and Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story the other nite. I wonder if good ol' John Saxon is still around?

Thanks for the thread humble!

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Pumped isn't the word.

I'm always amazed with anything Bruce Lee!

The size of that guy, and him 'taking on' people twice his size? See the parts where he literally lifts them up off their feet and throws them? Or when he took on Kareem Abdul Jabar>

when did he ever 'take on' anyone twice his size? movies don't count.
bruce lee never 'took on' anyone. there is a few rumors of closed door matches involving bruce and other traditional teachers back in the day but thats all they are. rumors. that comes from the fictional part of the movie dragon the bruce lee story.
he gave a demonstration at ed parkers kenpo competition. he showed people his fantastic 2 finger pushups and his '1 inch punch'(hahahah) and then put the pads on and gave a demo.
that is not 'taking people on'.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I like Bruce Lee. as a personality and as a martial artist. but he's not the greatest. For movies I think he was the greatest because of how he opened the west up to asian cinema more than it was before. Personally I like watching Jacki Chan more. his techniques are better, he does have more skill and sorry to say it but maybe even more balls for doing half those stunts. But alas, even Jacki doesn't know real kung fu for fighting purposes. he studied theatrical kung fu. it looks great on film...will get your ass kicked in a street fight though.

Jet Li, he's the real deal as far as knowledge of kung fu. look him up his stats are there. but he's a crappy actor. does have a great smile though. his moves are serious kung fu though you can spot it in the details. Jet Li however has never been in an actual fight either. nobodys ever challenged him to one, and he's not the kinda guy to go around picking a fight. But i wonder in real life how effective would he be at saving his hide.

like if jet li went into the ring with some champion muy thai boxer what would happen? Bruce Lee's Jeet Kun Do however would probably be more useful in an actual fight. it at least incorporates a variety of martial arts and is more realistic to real life situations in that respect.

as far as chinese martial arts go I think in actuality Chines Boxing (Kenpo in Japan) and basic hopkido, aikido (don't know what it's equivilent in chinese is called but whatever it is) I've seen hopkido work in real life and it's pretty effective. my friend is a black belt in Aikido and one day we were ambushed by a gang member at the mall. the dude was pissed at us from something that happened earlier. sulked around for a while following us then tried sneaking up on us and sucker punching my friend. my buddy saw the guy from the corner of his eye reacted grabbed his arm while he was punching at him and flipped the dude onto the floor reversed the joint and yanked. I heard for the first time a grown man (well maybe 17-19) squeal in horrible pain. my buddy just snapped his shoulder clear of his rotator cuff and broke it good. we got kicked out of the mall and banned from there for a year. we were like 17 at the time so I can go back there now, probably could have gotten away with it later the next day, but I never tried.

bruce lee is the man though. especially his outlook on life.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR

as far as chinese martial arts go I think in actuality Chines Boxing (Kenpo in Japan) and basic hopkido, aikido (don't know what it's equivilent in chinese is called but whatever it is) I've seen hopkido work in real life and it's pretty effective. my friend is a black belt in Aikido and one day we were ambushed by a gang member at the mall. the dude was pissed at us from something that happened earlier. sulked around for a while following us then tried sneaking up on us and sucker punching my friend. my buddy saw the guy from the corner of his eye reacted grabbed his arm while he was punching at him and flipped the dude onto the floor reversed the joint and yanked. I heard for the first time a grown man (well maybe 17-19) squeal in horrible pain. my buddy just snapped his shoulder clear of his rotator cuff and broke it good.

That's interesting, today I was researching if aikido is practical in every day life.
From the sound of your story it sure does seem like it.
So you think aikido is a good form of self defense then?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
sorry to take so long to respond to your last post.

Aikido is really effective if you have been doing it for a long time. it requires a lot of muscle memory to pull off any of the moves realistically in a fight. if you have been studying it for a year or so it won't be that useful for doing neato arm/ wrist locks and scaphoid snapping. God help you if you try attacking some old man who's been studying aikido his life though, you are toast regardless of size.

For me I only studied it on the side while focusing on other martial arts so I got about as good at the stuff in real fighting as a cop would with his basic grappling and arm locks. it helps but I'd be focusing on bludgeoning the guy in the neck.

Most aikido isn't really about steven sagal break a guy in half stuff. it's mainly circular moves and avoiding drills. that stuff is really useful in a fight it lets you see and attack non linearly. basically you want a guy to punch or kick at you. the bigger and stronger the assailent the better. you side step them like a bull fighter grab their forearm and help them keep going in the direction they over extended in, hopefully causing them to fall on their face, where a good stomp or two to the skull would probably resolve the fight best from there. but if one were good at the aikido they could get the guy to flip onto the ground still hold onto their arm and react quick enough to lock their limb into something painful making them hopefully compliant but if they aren't then snap away. believe me most hardened street fighters don't want to fight after you've broken their shoulder or collar bone it's almost unbearibly painful to flail around with a broke shoulder.

My instructor was a guy in his 50's from japan. my friends instructor too. he was maybe 135 lbs and 5'4". we did a martial art demo on public access once when I was in my late teens. the master was going to do a aikido demonstration. another student. a big guy was going to attack him with a wooden training knife. well in our rush to get to the studio we forgot to pack the training knife, so we borrowed a kitchen knife from the kitchenette in the public access studio. showed the audience that yes the knife is real, and the guy went at the master for about 2 minutes strait. the guy had to stop for the reason that he was getting so bruised up from being flipped over and over agin onto the cement studio floor and because his hands were bright red from slapping the ground so much. seriously. the teacher ...not a scratch...so in a real fight if you were to ambush this old japanese guy with a combat knife he'd have you stab your self about .5 seconds into your thrust with the knife or swing or whatever way you tried to attack him with the darned thing. you'd just get frustrated if he deemed you not a threat decided to mearly play with your body liek a ragdoll, or he could just snap your bones in half.

Study another martial art and train in aikido on the side as a supplement to your skills until you get sufficiently good at aikido to naturally counter random attacks with the correct move.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
aikido is a really gentle art that any body can master regardless of size. but it's implications are brutal on the attacker if the guy is good at aikido and want to hurt the guy bad. with aikido except for blunt force trauma the damage one could do to another human is staggering. you can literaly break people forearms in half simply by grabbing it about halfway up beyond the wrist with one hand it's a leverage thing. I've been taught how to do it, didn't believe it would be possible to simply grab a forearm although it will likely work on the upper arm too with one hand while not anywhere near a joint and supply amazing leverage with just your palm and the balls of the finger joints especially near your pinky, until someone demonstrated it on me. believe me my friend isn't buff and if he pushed a little harder my forearm would have cracked for sure.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Excellent posts BASSPLYR, they are very informative and your input is greatly appreciated.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Yeah Aikido is an effective art, but I definitely agree that it takes years of practice before u can even begin to use it confidently on the street. I'm surprised my Bro, KuroKage, hasn't posted yet considering he taught Aikido lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join