It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Mayor Bloomberg Switches from Republican to Independent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

NYC Mayor Bloomberg Switches from Republican to Independent

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com

Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced tonight that he is quitting the Republican party and changing his affiliation to independent.

The announcement came after Mr. Bloomberg gave a speech denouncing partisan gridlock in Washington, stirring renewed speculation that he is preparing to run as an independent or third-party candidate in 2008.

“I have filed papers with the New York City Board of Elections to change my status as a voter and register as unaffiliated with any political party,” he said...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
He may not have totally made up his mind, but it's hard to believe this anything but positioning himself for a presidential run as a third-party candidate.

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to it, this country needs a 3rd party president sooo bad. We have been the rope for a hardcore tug-of-war game, and that rope is about to snap. Im in!

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I'll just move my last post on the other thread to this one.

I don't know.... there is a deep unease in the country after 7 years of bushism; the Democrats are in as much a quagmire as Iraq, maybe worse sense an exit strategy can be worked out for Iraq. For the Democrats; the only thing that might save them is a purge of all things DLC and its allies and return to its roots. Unfortunately Hillary typlifies the DLC and all that is wrong with the Dems. So...maybe, just maybe a third party candidate finally has a chance.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm thinking he'll probably not run if Giuliani gets the Republican nomination, but might if he doesn't.

He's not dumb, and wouldn't waste all that money just to split the vote with Giuliani and hand it to the Dems. Plus, it'd be pretty rude since he probably wouldn't be mayor if it wasn't for Giuliani campaigning so heavily for him.

[edit on 6/19/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Who wants to bet he'll just be another pro-Israeli pseudo-liberal sellout like Liebermann or Biden? I know I do.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm thinking he'll probably not run if Giuliani gets the Republican nomination, but might if he doesn't.

Awhile back, not too long ago, a poll was taken in NYC over who they liked more for president (Bloomberg or Giuliani). Guess who won in a landslide? Maya Mike.

I think the good thing about a Bloomberg run is that he is pretty independent. I mean, he's got his own cash and he's not some ideologue. He's about business. Successful business.

Some folks might freak, though, cos he's Jewish. I never even think about that with him. I mainly get mad cos he banned smoking in NYC. lol

Anyway, I'd vote for Bloomberg before I'd vote for any Republican (excluding Ron Paul, Chuck Hagel) and definitely instead of cHilllary.

If she is the Dem nominee, I will not be voting for the DLC Dem candidate.

My wish is that Gore would run.

If Bloomberg runs (and Gore) doesn't, he could be the 3rd party candidate who could finally pull it off. I read someone who called Bloomberg the sane Perot. lol

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
maybe hes trying to split the vote and become a martyr for his "higher ups".

bloomberg/swarchenegger in '08?

[edit on 6/19/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
He can call himself whatever he likes - I still wouldn't vote for him.

He is the worst kind of elitist. I remember when he "felt" that wine at a symphony in the park was acceptable but beer wasn't. Then there was the smoking bans regardless of what the restaurant owner wanted. And now the whole transfat bs. His "I know what's best for you" doctrine is annoying to say the least and frightening to think about what he wants to implement next. God forbid he actually sit in the White House with his little executive order pen in hand.

Just my 2cents.

Bleys

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I am with you eastcoastkid.... I really wish Gore would make his move unless he is waiting to play spoiler at the convention which I kind of wish he would. I bet delegates would bolt left and right to get out of voting for Hillary.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
As an independent voter, I'm ashamed that this clown calls himself the same.

Maybe, I should finally pick a party.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I am with you eastcoastkid.... I really wish Gore would make his move unless he is waiting to play spoiler at the convention which I kind of wish he would. I bet delegates would bolt left and right to get out of voting for Hillary.

I totally agree.

I think Gore might throw his hat in the ring after he picks up his nobel prize in the fall.

If he does, cHillary's gonna drop a load.

As if Obama's candidacy hasn't already been an absolute, unforseen nightmare for her aspirations. I truly believe Gore would take the nomination from her with relative ease.

Everyone keeps talking about how experienced cHillary is. But I ask you, how do people equate 8 years of being a first lady to being a president? Its not exactly the same. Its like being a military wife. You know it, but you still don't.

Obama and Edwards both have as much experience as she does. Just for the record.

If Bloomberg runs, and Gore runs (or not), this election is gonna be the wildest one we've seen in decades.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Maybe we should petition for Gore to change to an Independant, and be Bloomberg's running mate. Imagine the hissy fits that would come of that! A republican turned independant, with a democrat turned independant, oh we could be so lucky!

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
he probably wouldn't be mayor if it wasn't for Giuliani campaigning so heavily for him.

Very true.

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Everyone keeps talking about how experienced cHillary is. But I ask you, how do people equate 8 years of being a first lady to being a president?

She has more than that. She's been in the senate for a number of years as well. She also had a high profile legal career before being first lady. A tainted career, but still a career. Do ya'll remember that she was on the impeachment committee for Richard Nixon?

Obama and Edwards both have as much experience as she does.

Edwards has as much experience, but he is not as smart.
Obama has NO experience. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

ON TOPIC - Bloomberg can call himself what ever he wants, but he doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of being elected president. IMHO.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I love the Bloomberg move. I could certainly see him making this run, with that said a Bloomy/Gore ticket would be ideal

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I think Gore might throw his hat in the ring after he picks up his nobel prize in the fall.

Nobel Prize eh? They certainly aren't very choosy when handing them out. That murdering pedophile terrorist Arafat has one. They gave Jimmy Carter one, not back when he should have gotten it for his work with the poor, but they gave it to him NOW in an effort to embarrass Bush 43.

The 'Peace Prize' is totally partisan now. It's a shame.
I don't know if I'd want my name on the list of recipients.
(guess I dont' have to worry about it, eh?
)

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Edwards has as much experience, but he is not as smart.
Obama has NO experience. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

ON TOPIC - Bloomberg can call himself what ever he wants, but he doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of being elected president. IMHO.

Edwards not as smart? He started out a good looking, intelligent young man from modest means and wound up a self-made millionaire, Senator and Vice presidential candidate.

The only reason cHillary has a seat in the New York senate is because her husband, the very popular former President Bill Clinton, is well, her husband.

Without him, she would be nothing more than a marginal or obscure figure in national politics. So much for feminism in 2008.

Personally, she totally lost me when bill clinton was caught massaging monica with a Cuban and she didn't divorce him. From that point on I knew it was about her own power trip.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Nobel Prize eh? They certainly aren't very choosy when handing them out. That murdering pedophile terrorist Arafat has one. They gave Jimmy Carter one, not back when he should have gotten it for his work with the poor, but they gave it to him NOW in an effort to embarrass Bush 43.

The 'Peace Prize' is totally partisan now. It's a shame.
I don't know if I'd want my name on the list of recipients.
(guess I dont' have to worry about it, eh?
)

Cast your dirty aspersions on the award all you want, but in civilized circles it is a clarion achievement.

I hope Gore wins it. He definitely deserves it.

And I truly hope he runs for president and wins.

He would make an excellent president.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Personally, I don't blame him.

I mean he was a Democrat before he became a Republican, so I can see how he would
be completely dissuaded and disgusted with the Republican party.

I am still voting for Gravel, who hopefully will become the Democratic candidate,
and subsequently the president, but if it came down to the Republican nominee's
or one of the Democratic candidates I don't like, I'd vote for him, I may not agree
with everything he thinks, but I like his stance on quite a few important issues,
and I'm on the fence with his stance on others.

Oh, and as for Gore, I may respect his noble environmental awareness campaign(s),
but I will never vote for him, since the environment is the only issue I agree with him on.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Here is a great "I told you so" from Rush Limbaugh, from 2002!

"Bloomberg is actually a huge liberal, folks. This is the honest truth. He only signed up on a Republican line to win the election." - Rush Limbaugh - January 3, 2002

Democrat, Republican, Independent? Whatever it takes to get votes, I guess. John Kerry is a great example of what happens to flip-floppers, why does Bloomberg think he can do any better?

top topics

join