It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese cinema

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just wondering if there are many other fans here of Japanese and other Asian cinema?
I personally think the Japanese have nailed what a horror film should be. Films like Ring 1, 2 and 0, Ju-on, Kairo, Audition etc. The main difference between Japanese and American horror being the way the Japanese tend to create scenes that seem far creepier and tense and rely less on "BOO!!!" tactics.
Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of Asian cinema. You pegged the Japanese horror film. They leave you guessing sometimes which I really like. I am sick of American film being dumbed down so that people "can understand it." Uzumaki, the Ringu series, Ju-On, etc. Love em all.

I also really like Korean film, their horror films can be every bit as good as the Japanese ones. A Tale of Two Sisters being particularly chilling.

I like Chinese movies about the lives of women, especially pre-cultural revolution, and some of the modern stuff, such as Beijing Bicycle.

I also like Indian movies a lot, not so much the Bollywood stuff, but the art house flicks like Earth.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
A tale of 2 sisters is really good! Very clever and confusing lol. Yeah I agree they never try to dum the films down but instead just go with it unlike in American horror which always tends to be over simplified.
I've never had a chance to see Uzumaki... Been hoping to see it around for a long time. The manga was pretty good, very gory lol.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I have never heard of A Tale of 2 Sisters. I'm going to have to check that out. One of my all-time favorites is Ichi the Killer. Ridiculously violent, funny and twisted. :bash: Miike is so good. www.bestprices.com...

Why do you suppose American television doesn't have anything like the Japanese serialized tv dramas? I confess I've watched a few of those. One that's especially dark and good is Byakuyakou. Murder, mayhem, cruelty, betrayal, lurid abuse, it's got a little of everything. zoommovie.com...

SR

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yeah it's like no offense to American movie directors but you know something is happening when they have to remake a bulk of great asian movies. But it's good when an idea is taken and then expanded on but as MM said Hollywood doesn't even do that in some cases like Ring's series had to be dumbed down.

Asian cinema is great for making you think and the crazyness of some of the concepts like Oldboy, Tale of Two Sisters, Gozu, Battle Royale, Lady Vengance and Sympathy for Mr Vengenace just make them amazing and stand out in your mind.

Even in gore and action the films are amazing has anbody seen Ichi the Killer or the Eye series even Audition i bet everyone was scared when you finally see
in the burlap sack!!

It's like you know in alot of these films you aren't going to see a city being destroyed by epic explosions but that's the thing that makes these films so good is that the story is so interesting and hooks you that you don't need to see crazy special effects to make it any better or further the story along in the first place.

Edit: I forgot to add even 'old' japanese cinema is amazing i picked up the 'Akira Kurosawa Collection' boxset awhile ago and it blew my mind, Ran, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, etc. etc. pure goodness!! You guys and gals should defintely check some of them out!!

[edit on 21-6-2007 by SR]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This is Oni-Kage, forgot my Bro was signed into his account lol.

Akira Kurosawa was amazing! Seven Samurai is one of my all time favourite films.
Ichi the Killer is also kick ass! The amount of blood and gore is just top notch lol. Takashi Miike's films are very "expressive" lol.

[edit on 22-6-2007 by Kurokage]

top topics

join