It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 'Smart' Wheels Being Developed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Smart wheels, vehicle wheels that use artificial intelligence to deal with road conditions, are under development by scientists at the University of Portsmouth in the UK.

All four of the wheels on the car are "smart." They use microprocessors to perform 4,000 calculations per second and communicate with each other. As the car is driven, each wheel adjusts according to traveling speed and road conditions.

"Traditional suspension means the vehicle dips when the wheels detect poor road surfaces and you get a bumpy ride, while a tight corner means the drag will slow the vehicle down. Electronic traction control and suspension will counterbalance this kind of drop and drag effect but the driver won’t even know it’s there. It means a faster car but [also] a safer one."

SOURCE:
TechNovelgy.com

I was wondering how long it would be until we started to see stuff like this start to appear,
I'm glad to see it's being researched.

These wheels will mean cars can be made to be both faster and safer, and also less intrusive.
Now if only we could get someone to develop solar powered Hydrogen electrolysis for fuel cells,
than we'd be set.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
What happens when the computer freezes and needs a reboot? Anyone for trauma surgery?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I don't understand why we're still driving cars.

Haven't manned spacecraft already been perfected by the black ops?

Get this crap to the public sector already, enough with outdated technologies

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippichick
What happens when the computer freezes and needs a reboot? Anyone for trauma surgery?

Computers just don't freeze.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

heh, anyone for a blue screen of death?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This technology sounds great, tires that make cars faster. I bought some shoes that made me faster and jump higher once.

My only question is why is everyone worried about the computer failing? Can't anyone imagine how much these tires are going to cost? I'm just guessing they won't be affordable by most people. At least not until they have been on the market for a few years.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   

How many times has the computer in your car now frozen?

Ah yes, thats because it doesn't happen.

They can blow up/break/melt/short out or fail in other ways but it rarely happens on its own. And the computers in your car don't use windows

new topics

top topics

join