It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China overtakes the U.S. as largest Co2 emitter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
environment.guardian.co.uk...

It is funny how in the Kyoto Protocol China was exempted from making changes and they are now the largest contributer to Co2 emissions and they are not going to slow down anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
CO2 emissions are a sad thing, and almost everyone contributes to it. China seems to be pretty head strung towards overpowering the United States to the point wheree its scary!

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
CO2 emissions are a sad thing, and almost everyone contributes to it. China seems to be pretty head strung towards overpowering the United States to the point wheree its scary!

They have a long way to go. But in their defense, they have more than 4 times the population of the US and should have higher emissions. It is just ironic that they were not included to reduce their emissions when they are now the largest emitter of CO2.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What a convenient truth. I guess it's disgusting that the US, a fully developed country, should be doing something about Co2 emissions in the light of such damning news?

I wonder how much of the Chinese Co2 emissions are a result of production of goods destined for the American market.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It makes me sick to my stomach when people divert attention to someone else who just made a mistake, instead of FIXING THEIR OWN MISTAKE.

The fact that, yes, China has a CO2 emissions problem as well, does not mean that it's ok for the US to ignore their own problem.

Anyone who decides that they don't have to do anything, because somewhere out there, someone else also screwed up, is lazy and ignorant in my opinion.

As mentioned, china has 4 times the population... which, by all rights, if they were just as lazy as the US, they would have 4 TIMES THE EMISSIONS.
They don't... so obviously they are doing something right.

Get your act together, and stop pointing fingers at everyone else america.
You're not just guilty of bigotry with regards to emissions, it's practically EVERYTHING you accuse other countries of. It's all one big attention diversion so you can continue being as lazy and ignorant as you want.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

As mentioned, china has 4 times the population... which, by all rights, if they were just as lazy as the US, they would have 4 TIMES THE EMISSIONS.

Doing something right?
You should realize that China's economy is just starting to become a golden age similar to America in the 1950s and 60s when many Americans had money to spend. The Chinese people are trying to get out of the agriculture and into the industrialized world. Not every Chinese own a car or truck. What you are seeing right now is just the beginning as more Chinese have money to burn to get the taste of American lifestyle. If the Chinese continue where they are, they WILL have 4 TIMES the emissions compare to the U.S.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
It makes me sick to my stomach when people divert attention to someone else who just made a mistake, instead of FIXING THEIR OWN MISTAKE.

The fact that, yes, China has a CO2 emissions problem as well, does not mean that it's ok for the US to ignore their own problem.

Anyone who decides that they don't have to do anything, because somewhere out there, someone else also screwed up, is lazy and ignorant in my opinion.

Get your act together, and stop pointing fingers at everyone else america.
You're not just guilty of bigotry with regards to emissions, it's practically EVERYTHING you accuse other countries of. It's all one big attention diversion so you can continue being as lazy and ignorant as you want.

I guess we're never allowed to criticize other countries without people like you bitching at us for it. So the United States should try and cut emissions, and we think that other countries should, too. Cry me a river.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yes, they produce more, but per capita, it's still not even close to what the US produces...

from the article in the OP

Per head of population, China's pollution remains relatively low - about a quarter of that in the US and half that of the UK.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I think China's on the verge of having all kinds of growing pains. Right up till the west makes the critical decision to boycott or over duty their goods.

Dallas

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The West has had more than 200 years to spread out our industrial revolution and the pollution with it. The East (China) has only had 50-60-ish years to catch up. The pollution from China will keep increasing till they reach a point were they no longer need to grow at the rate of today and will eventually start decreasing their pollution. Already they have started designing buildings with "Green roofs", roofs with plants on top of them, replacing the greenery the buildings covered. In another 50 years China will mostly likely the standard of what a "Green" nation should be.

China's Greenroofs

Beijing planning for 45% greenery coverage by 2008

China going green

[edit on 21/6/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Many of the people who are responding are going aloof and talking about issues that I already know about and this thread is not about. I am saying, basically, that this proves the Kyoto Protocol was BS considering it did not call for China---now the largest emitter of CO2 to reduce emissions with the rest of the world. Let's not even include India and Brazil. They will be moving up the chain past already industrialized nations pretty soon as well.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
I think China's on the verge of having all kinds of growing pains. Right up till the west makes the critical decision to boycott or over duty their goods.

I wish! But that will never happen.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Hey RetinoidReceptor,

Please elaborate your thoughts on how it will never happen. It's already started with the USA saying Duty will be initiated against Chinese made goods..

Dallas

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I'm sure blame China could make Bush and his interests group, such as enegy company very happy and take less responsibility.

well done. keep fooling yourself.

new topics

top topics

join