It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth today stands in imminent peril

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

The Earth today stands in imminent peril

The Earth today stands in imminent peril and nothing short of a planetary rescue will save it from the environmental cataclysm of dangerous climate change. Those are not the words of eco-warriors but the considered opinion of a group of eminent scientists writing in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

Six scientists from some of the leading scientific institutions in the United States have issued what amounts to an unambiguous warning to the world: civilisation itself is threatened by global warming.

They also implicitly criticise the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) for underestimating the scale of sea-level rises this century as a result of melting glaciers and polar ice sheets.

More...

If they are right, we are doomed...

Humanity will never muster the required coordination to avert this disaster in such a short period of time.

I never imagined I might actually be alive to see the end of man.
God, I hope they are wrong...

[edit on 18-6-2007 by loam]

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
It will take alot more voices then just 6-scientists predicting the end... And I am noticing that many scientists are starting to change there tune on the whole global warming thing now too...

It will take more then media hysteria to make me believe that this is not natural and occuring every few millenia...

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Humans deserve to die. The pity is that we are going to take almost every other species on this planet with us.
But in the great scheme of things, so what if a single species on some tiny planet kills itself? The universe is much grander than that.
This planet is a large Trinity project. Adapt or die.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AbitTweaked
It will take alot more voices then just 6-scientists predicting the end... And I am noticing that many scientists are starting to change there tune on the whole global warming thing now too...

How do you mean? What direction on the global warming do you think scientists are currently taking? What does "many" mean anyways? There are alot of scientists in the world...

It will take more then media hysteria to make me believe that this is not natural and occuring every few millenia...

Ok.

Say it is natural. That doesn't change the evidence that is the basis for this article.

Hopefully you don't "believe" when it's too late to make a personal difference.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Totally agree. Very unfair though that the elite will have their safe places and survive what's to come. I'm sure it's all happened like this before, probably many times. "The meek shall inherit the earth" is probably the biggest lie of them all.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Agreed, global warming is bunk. It's just another way to make money. Other planets in our solar system are heating up too, must be the pollution we've put on mars???

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
From my understanding. The theory is "global warming" and "Is Global Warming Manmade"

Here in the states it has become very political and that is the first step in making me believe it is a load of crap. Secondly after awhile it takes on the form of Social-Engineering. Lets make EVERYONE do this and see what happens... Like using Florescent lightbulbs. The current tagline I see is. "If EVERY american switches 4 of these light bulbs in there home it would be like keeping 400,000 cars off the road... Well that may be true but I do not LIKE that type of light. It hurts my eyes. And if we enforced our laws we'd be short at least 1-million cars in the road, maybe more... (Yeah. I'm a Deport everyone including the Illegal Irishman type of guy)

I am very curious how come we have not looked back at Nukes for a form of power. There are designs coming out that are much safer then what we have been using to date like the german prototype "Pebble-Bed" Reactor form. Think of the oil we could save if we had one of those running instead of 10-oil burning power plants...

My theory to the current environmental shift.... Currently we have alot of very warm water at the equator... This cannot stay there due to simple hydrothermodynamics... (Sorry. Did not mean to use big word, I really am not THAT smart....) But basicly eventually the warm water has to move. The current ocean conveyer in the atlantic has shut down.. But it has not in the pacific with the cold water from Alaska. eventually that conveyer is going to jump start. a burst of warm water will start up the atlantic seaboard on the east-coast USA and reach Britain (Call it a gift) after this a change in weather patterns will continue since we now have a flow there will be some intense storms in the atlantic and the high-altitude stratosphere will weaken allowing hurricanes to form. This will also help disperse extra energy and heat along the equatorial region. We will also notice that while we have lost square mileage of glaciers that alot of places are noticing increases in thickness. (FYI. Are the scientists going to release the data they found on those silver mines found UNDER the glaciers????????) Eventually we will see and notice a gradual decrease in temp as we get this excess heat to move away. Also as we observe and learn MORE about how the suns energy reacts to our planet we should be able to understand more about our tiny 15,000' of habitable atmosphere on this otherwise very tiny speck of dust we call Earth.

Sorry to stand up on the soapbox.. I think the basic line I should have used was. "This so far has shown and is acting like a totally NATURAL thing... IF you want unnatural things the supernatural forums is only a buttonclick away...."

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The problem you lot have is you made a tabloid newspaper world, where lies win all the time. No one knows if they are telling the truth or not because society is just full of lies, and people just do not think its true.

So you have cut your own throat without knowing it, making the world as it is. Why should anyone care either.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Interesting post/discovery Loam
Excellent

Although a bad news, I am thankful that finally someone starts talking about the real situation we are going to face.

IPCC mentioned several times that there reports were accurated and based on their scientific research, without suffering any change from politicians. But I was in doubt...

You cannot say that melting and sea rise will not start becoming an important thread until 2100, because you assure that this will be a slow process of a century... And all this after we saw a Glacier falling into the sea surprisingly quickly... ("You" = IPCC)

Let´s park the reason aside of the consequences. At last, it does not matter who´s responsibility it is or if it is caused by this or that... The fact is that we have a serious thread and need to act now.

A few days ago I was told that plastic bags can take around 60 years to dissapear. Do you know the reactions to this information?
A supermarket has thought they should charge us more money for a plastic bag in order to oblige consumers to re-use them or to use less bags...

Come on. We need to find solutions, we have to change. Do not charge people, do not sell or use plastic bags and look for a much "greener" way instead.

This is just an example. I am sure you could mention hundreds more.

What I pretend to express is that people listen to all this about global warming, etc. and worry about it (for how long? Twenty minutes, an hour. one or two times a day?) But most of them do not bother afterwards. And those who really care, cannot afford changing because products are unaccessible or simply too expensive to afford.

I am afraid that what "ordinary" people can do is not enough to achieve a significant decrease of emissions. And I am afraid that Politicians (at least most of them) do not bother at all and are more worried about getting votes, money, power, etc.

The majority will only look carefully into it when the problem is not the future, but the present. When it is really impossible to revert.

Maybe I have been too negative. I apologyze for venting, but I had to share this with you.
Looking forward to reading your comments about it.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
No matter which gets us first whether it will be global warming or world war 3 or something from space or whatever, something will get us and something will push us to extinction, can we survive only time will tell. Humanity is in it's darkest hours.

new topics

top topics

join