It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can violent games realy make kids into killers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
umm i dont think you guys get wat im saying

wat i meen by kid is a 13+ that is in puberty

and i hear that if the kid is exposed to a lot of something while in puberty and gets used to it he/she might think that its right

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I believe you can keep your kids away from the video games that you don't want them to play. But the key to that is being a active parent.

Now I understand that you can only control what happens in your own home. But if your kids want to go over to friends house, you have to tell them the same rule for video games that you have in your own home still apply when there at a friends house.

I mean all you have to do is talk to the other parent and tell them that your not telling them how to raise there child but you do have certain rules that your own child must adhere to. And if the other parent says there child is going to play what ever video game they want, thats fine. Your child will just never go over to thats friend house.

I know teenagers wont like rules like that, but oh well. Sucks to be a teenager.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by vckums
It's the parents negligence that can make a child turn out that way.

This is the crux of the problem. Negligent parenting = bad parenting. Rules without relationship breeds rebellion. Your child is not your toy or your buddy. They are young human beings who need YOU to teach them how to be responsible and contributing adults. This is a 24/7 job. It should be your highest priorty. Unfortunately, too many parents place their parenting job along their lowest priorities and often not a priority at all.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Yes. at that age, and the right combonation. kids become rejected socially, drugs, maybe alcohol, past roblems perhaps..then yeah, they react as theyve trained themselves to via the enabler of a video game.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Mixed emotions about this one. I still game when I get a chance, and quite a few are FPS....

I DO NOT however go looking for med-kits and ammo packs laying about my house afterward. I similarly have no urge to shoot my neighbor with a rocket-launcher.

So no, it desensitizes people to violence perhaps, but is not the cause. (I've seen by-far much more horrific/gory movie trailers on prime-time TV than what I've ever seen in a game).

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Stale Cracker]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yes and no.

I thought everyone knew that it pretty much has to do with parenting and how the child is brought up

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I see video games as an expression of art. I feel like unnecessary attention is brought to this form of entertainment than is warranted.

I believe if someone is capable of committing a horrendous crime, the potential was already there. If an individual can't make a distinction between playing and the real world, there are major mental issues there. Emotions can be expressed through games that you wouldn't otherwise be acceptable to express in a real life situation. I think that teaches people to deal with their emotions in a controlled environment. I personally feel games have taught me to deal with my anger and frustration.

This is a nice essay on the subject which is written by Henry Jenkins,

currently Peter de Florez Professor of Humanities and Co-Director of the MIT Comparative Media Studies program with William Uricchio... ...Jenkins earned his MA in Communication Studies from the University of Iowa and his PhD in Communication Arts from the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Henry Jenkins Wikipedia Page

If anyone would have an unbiased, intellectual, and completely factual opinion about the subject, it would be him.. At least in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join