It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steroids in Sports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Ok, before this starts, I'm just saying - I am not accusing any certain players or people taking steroids (even though I believe a few certain people do), so try not to accuse people.

Are steroids a good or bad thing for sports players to use?

I personally think they shouldn't be allowed in sports, and any person using them should not be allowed to continue playing.

I think it is broken down into 2 groups of people.

Some people don't care if players use steroids. They want to see more spectacular plays, hits, players. They see players taking steroids as more exciting action.

But the people who think steroids are wrong (including myself) think differently. We think they ruin the game. They take away from the players that have real natural talent, and the players that came before them that haven't used steroids.

At least that is the way I see people split.

Do steroids wreck the records set by non-steroid users?

Records set by non-steroid users are amazing feats (well some of them). If a person using steroids breaks the record it proves nothing for them. They broke a record by cheating, where’s the talent in that? It takes the record out of the person who earned its hand. If you look through a record book would the records be as incredible if you knew the holder took steroids?

Effect on other players/teams

Do you think steroids affect the non-steroid taking players? I say they do. A player might have amazing natural talent, only to fall short of the steroid taking players. Over shadowed by them. Same could happen with teams with users against the teams with non-users.

Effect on the fans

This is pretty much what I stated earlier. Some people want to see the game played the way it is supposed to be played, without using steroids. It makes the records more incredible, and players more respect worthy.

I think steroids ruin sports, plain and simple.

What do you think of steroids in sports? Does it affect the way you think about the games? Does it ruin it for you? Do you care?

This is a social issue, right?

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Decidedly a social issue. When you've got, admittedly few in numbers, I hope; junior high school kids shooting steroids, you've got a social issue that needs addressing in a bad way...

Steroid use in sports, and HGH (human growth hormone) use skyrocketing, sports have become meaningless at the professional level, and at many colleges as well. I don't follow them nearly as closely as I used to, and that pains me.

We should accuse, enjoies...these people are tearing a significant hole in the fabric of American society...our love of sports and games. We should accuse and condemn in a loud chorus of boos.

Forgot to say Bad Thing...

[edit on 18-6-2007 by seagull]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Good point, the users also affect generations that come after them.

Children watch a basball game on TV and think the only way to be as good as them is to use steroids.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Steroids are just as dangerous as Methamphetamines.

Have you ever heard of Roid Rage ?

In dose above 5 mg daily there is a huge risk of induced psychosis and irreversible personality disorders. It would be safer to chamber a round in a revolver and play Russian roulette.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Steroids are just as dangerous as Methamphetamines.

Have you ever heard of Roid Rage ?

In dose above 5 mg daily there is a huge risk of induced psychosis and irreversible personality disorders. It would be safer to chamber a round in a revolver and play Russian roulette.

Truer words were never typed...

'Roid rage is something I've had an up close and never to be forgotten experiance with. I'm just glad I wasn't the target...a true roid rage is a thing to behold, from a distance...

By the time this hulk was done, he'd reduced a locker room to wreakage you'd have sworn was the result of a carpet bombing...it took 6 guys all of whom were as big as this guy to subdue him, or at least slow the rampage, thank god no one was hurt. You want to know what set him off? No towels...no towels.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Wrong, so damm wrong.

What more is there to say!

Anyone caught should be given a good kickin and then fed to the pigs.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I dont think that steroids is the main issue. Competition and cheating are the issue and as long we have a drive to compete in something we are going to look for that thing that is going to give us an advantage. Is just human nature, our drive to compete is enourmus, especially in professional sports. Steroids in this era, what was it in the previous? amphetamines. People are going to continuously look for that edge. HGH is the future and theres nothing that they can do right now to stop it. So for the fans what is left is sit back and enjoy. And is not only football and baseball. Theres cheating everywhere in professional sports, NASCAR, Horse racing, Golf, soccer, Track & Field, Swimming, Cycling for Christ sake! its just goes on and on. I believe is our human nature that drive us to search for that extra edge and there nothing that can be done about that.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I don't know what to say about roids. They are the reason that baseball got popular again in the 80's. Canseco bashing balls to the moon, hitters getting to pitches that used to be automatic strike out pitches, pitchers developing 2 seam fastballs. They are what put butts in the seat and drew fans. It made baseball a better game in my opinion.

that being said, roids are a form of cheating, as they don't make you better, but make your body able to handle the stress and workouts better. The turnaround is a lot quicker. At least temporarily anyway.

It seems in sports that since the Raegen administration bigger is better. Football players and boxers are huge now. Baseballers are under the bad aura of the steriod scandal. It was good for baseball tho. Sammy was crushing meaningless home runs giving cubs fans something to root for, Ken Caminiti was on his way to being an MVP. Brady anderson hit 50 homeruns from Leadoff.

But it sets a bad image for the youth and future of these sports, as how can you keep up without torturing your body to compete. It's not just roids and hgh, but creatine, andro, protein and all of those things as well.

I think a lot of athletes would do roids and hgh if not consequences.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I will take the heat cause I am pro steroid.
Not for amature, not for under 20, and your never gonna be able to control that anyway.
Wars on drugs never work.
So really learn to live with it.
For every test they come up with the designers are three steps ahead
Sure some get caught, you have no idea how many have passed with flying colours with all the urine samples you could swallow and I know for a fact their on the juice.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   

'Roid rage is something I've had an up close and never to be forgotten experiance with. I'm just glad I wasn't the target...a true roid rage is a thing to behold, from a distance...

I wish I could have observed it from a distance.

My ex had massive doses of steroids and often beat up my son. Child welfare lied to the court to discredit my concerns and now she has custody of my son.

It's the fastest road to psychosis.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm confused....she has custody, my ex did massive amounts of steroids?
so your wife was a bodybuilder on roids?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I'm personally bored senseless by all things sport. But in my opinion, I think there ought to be two leagues for all games.

One, where people have to play unenhanced. This will be sports for "norms."

The second league should be for the same sport, but anything goes, steroids, growth enhancers, whatever. To see how far we can push the human envelope.

I'm of the of the opinion these days that we're living another round of bread and circuses, so might as well give the people freaking gladiators.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Well this discussion just became a bit more relevant with the triple murder suicide (apparently) of wrestler Chris Benoit and his family.

'roid rage. As a result of his abuse of steroids (apparently) his wife, and one of his children is dead, along with himself.

Time and past, for steroids to be very carefully controlled. They are far too dangerous for them to be so easily available.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I'm confused....she has custody

It took from 2001 until 2005 for it to get to court. Then the NZ family Court threw it out and said it refused to look at the evidence.

In the meantime my son kept coming to me on access covered in bruises and saying mummy hit me.

I complained to police who told me it was a civil matter... not a criminal matter.

Child welfare refused to investigate. When I complained to the relevant Government Minister (Steve Maharey) his own department lied and said that it did investigate.

I have struggled for years to get my hands on my son's file. I now have it because they released it to someone else who let me study the file.

The file proves that eventually because i would not shut up complaining that a senior police commander ordered Child welfare to conducta joint investigation with social workers.

The file which I only got this year proves that social workers Barbara Lee and Marti Hartley spent all their energies trying to persuade the Police the there was nothing to investigate.

It also proves that whilst Child welfare had a statement of what my complaint was, they witheld it from Police and told the police that my complaint was not about assaults but about abusive shouting. Police would not approach me for a statement.

On 3 October 2002 I was cooking in my kitchen and my ex and our son were next door in the lounge. I kept hearing her shout abuse at my son. He kept crying. Each time i left the kitchen to investigate and was told my son was just "being stupid."

Later when dinner was cooked I joined them. My son came cringingly towards his mother begging for a cuddle. She shouted at him and slapped him around the legs.

This repeated three times. They slept overnight in my bed and next morning the mother left the house. My mother turned up and as I went to dress my son, we found his body covered in bruises.

I immediately faxed a written statement to his social worker Marti Hartley. She interviewed my son's mother on 8 October 2002. The mother admitted to the October 2002 assaults to social worker Marti Hartley.

In 2003 a professor of medicine gave evidence to the NZ Family Court that she was too dangerous to have custody. NZ Family Court judge Geoff Ellis refused to hear the evidence and stated it was not in the interests of the welfare of the child to hear the evidence.

In July 2003 my then lawyer forced the court to issue an order to CYFS to disclose to the court what the outcome of their investigation was. (this had been witheld by Child Welfare for a year).

Child Welfare (CYFS) issued a false and misleading report to the court saying there were no concerns for the child's welfare in his mother's care. CYFS would neither confirm nor deny the assaults.

The report however also said that my complaints were vexatious and that my constant complaints were causing conflict and harming my son.

Now that I have the file I can prove that CYFS lied to the Court. The Court however will not allow me to file evidence to prove it.

I am tearing my hair out trying not only to get justice butt also am stressed out by trying to protect my son when social workers are lying to conceal child abuse. The court is now threatening to cancel all my rights of access because I will not stop raising the issue.

Adding to this the judge is an elderly gay man who has never raised children and has no clue what it is to be a parent. He does however revel in the fact that he is an acclaimed author of a book about child abuse and the law. pfaf... What an ignorant twit.

That is why she has custody. That satisfy your curiousity ?

:bash::shk:

[edit on 27-6-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Steroids (corticosteroids) are not just for bodybuilding. They have two other main uses. Pain suppression and asthma relief for really sick people. My ex wife was on powerful steroids for severe asthma.

One moment she was like a little old ladyy of 80 years old coughing for breath.

Next minute pops some pills and she could beat up ten men.

Not only that but the mood swings are dramatic and unpredictable. They're dangerous people.

Well this discussion just became a bit more relevant with the triple murder suicide (apparently) of wrestler Chris Benoit and his family.

Whilst on steroids my ex drove me off a 50 metre cliff in a failed murder suicide attempt.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
My apologies, Sy. If I implied that it, the dangers of 'steroids, wasn't relevant before, that certainly wasn't my intent. I merely meant that this tragic event involving Chris Benoit and his family would perhaps spur more exposure of the dangers involved in reckless use of steroids.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

This is a partial transcript from "The O'Reilly Factor," June 26, 2007, that has been edited for clarity.

BILL O'REILLY, HOST: "Impact" segment tonight, Georgia authorities say professional wrestler Chris Benoit killed his wife, seven-year-old son, and then hung himself. The 40-year-old Benoit had a history of domestic violence, and cancelled a televised wrestling appearance just last Sunday because of personal reasons. Some suspect drug or steroid use may be involved in this case because anabolic steroids were found in his home.

Joining us now from Chicago, former pro wrestler, Jon Stewart.

Very disturbing. Strangled his wife, smothered his seven-year-old son, and then hung around for about a day, authorities say, before he hung himself. Did you know this guy?

JON STEWART, FMR. PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER: I've met him a couple of times. You know, being in the industry for 20 years, I've known of him for 15 years. And this is completely out of character for him.

Chris was a very pensive, quiet guy, a workhorse in the industry. And this is completely out of — what I've known of him — character.

O'REILLY: OK, but you did know that he was on steroids. And you know, once you get into that world of narcotics, illegal drugs, whatever you want to call them, your personality changes. Correct?

STEWART: Well, that's true. That's true. I've never seen Chris take steroids or know anything so I can't allege anything like that. I can't tell you that.

O'REILLY: Well, they found him in his house.

STEWART: Yes. A high majority of professional wrestlers, past, present and probably unfortunately in the future have been on steroids. And the mix of steroids, this gladiator mentality that we have, the way the public treats us that, you know, we're not held to any rules of society. Bill, that is a really lethal combination.
Chris Benoit

It is too bad that this happened. However, if a person plays with fire long enough, sooner or later, he/she is going to get burned. Apparently, that is exactly what happened to Benoit. It's unfortunate that others had to suffer the consequences as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Steroids in sports may have led to bad things in the world of wrestling ,but look at the good side of it ,we get to see screw ups in live matches and interviews. If anyone has time come check out my thread at the world sports forum called "what is up with wrestling ??" to see what I mean.I feal sorry for those who have died in using this addictive drug since nothing can be done about due to the millions of dollars it makes in the US and Europe and other places around the world.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
YOU wanna blame someone blame yourselves and wait what i'm saying is blame the human conditon for being greedy

it starts with the owners, so often people only put band-aide's on issues without getting to the root cause of the problem and in turn they place 2 much blame on certain groups

change the structure of something not just the most visible part.

understand SPORTS are a BUSINESS. Business's are corrupt becaue success is equated to wealth, and wealth acts like a drug to some buy getting you to want more. and in business MORE wealth= success

is that to difficult to understand? the owners are running a business and they took the risk, that there business could be more entertaining by putting the best PRODUCT on the field thru whatever means necessary. people look for loop-holes to get a competitive advantage. the owners knew that could act like they didn't know what was going on. the players had the chance to pay 3000 for drugs that if taken *under doctor's supervision* like millions of american's due at Hormone Replacement centers that they could get a new 30,000,000, contract. hmm and yes most people don't have a full understanding of steroids especially regarding there use in sports. they look for big muscles, but 70% of players testing positive are pitchers who use them to recover faster in between starts and so they stay strong at the end of the year.

this whole druguser vs. non drug users debate is stupid, well who themselves is not on any drugs, oh wait they are approved drugs right, so what happens when a player (major league ) goes to a hormone replacement center, gets a blood test, and then receives a PRESCRIPTION to take steroids (testerone injections, DEC durabolin injections, and hgh) and no not all of them go this route, but it is an example how everything is not black and white, just because it helps people frame issues so there mind can represent them easier i.e good vs evil evolution vs. creation blah blah freakin blah

the media spun and directed the public's reaction to the issue by hitting the fans in there achllies heel when they mentioned do we need to put * on there little beloved statistics, this deflected anger of fans toward (players) and away from owners

[edit on 15-7-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I think in baseball it's the fact that it's about cheating. Lots of players cheat and in baseball its almost incouraged. If it can help you get in the bigs, or it can help you beat another team it's incouraged. Steroids can get you that big contract because if you have natural skill, it will help keep you fresh. If you look at it through a players eyes, he can set himself and his family up for life; now I'm not saying it is a good idea, but the baseball Hall of Hame does have a lot of cheaters in it. Lets say Bonds used steroids, I say that because it hasn't been proven, but Bonds was a great player before he even started hitting home runs out at his pace; he would of made the Hall with out his 73 home run season. It also helped that the owners looked the other way and so did everyone else. I personally wouldn't use steroids, but I can't fault the players for doing them.

new topics

top topics

join