It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple free energy system overlooked by scientists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
i have no idea if it's possible to generate gas at these pressures, but if it is, why not? quite cumbersome a system, of course, due to cable arrangements, you might want to substitute your ballons with a simple pipe with a gas turbine instead of fuel cells (you'd still get excess pressure, but a continuous process instead of balloons and you could burn the H and O components at the same time, with some excess water for cooling if you wish)

now think of the final twist: make the plant near the Andes, plant the upper station as high as reasonably possible and use the water you inevitably generate for hydro power

PS: are you aware that you can tap into a CO2 lake and get a continuous fountain once the water is blasted out of the column? well, the oceans already have a lot of gases in solution, producing your own might not even be necessary.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
Let's assume you built a a pulley system and hooked a bag to it. You will have friction losses in towing the bag down (pulley, water drag and weight of the line that is on the way up). Assume you expend no energy to fill the bag and let it go up. You will have even larger frictional losses on the way up because you now have a big inflated bag AND you are fighting gravity.

Still doubting - the potential energy difference is from sea level to say 300 feet below sea level. But you are adding a gas at 300 below which while lighter than water still has a mass. The kinetic energy to go up will now be lower than the potential since you have added mass to the system.... No free lunch and Newton wins again....

I must be missing something, why won't the bags float on their own? Wouldn't more gas make it more buoyant?

My major concern is, instead - how much energy will you need to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen and contain it? How does this compare to the energy you get from "using" the gas as fuel divided by the amount of energy you need to start the reaction?

<< 1   >>

join