It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is PHI so prevelant in nature???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
what a great observation.
i think what makes phi and pi so special is the fact that there is know true end to those fractions. endless growth. like fractals.

if someone were to just breaze over the concept it would make no big impression on them. but if you think about it in detail it opens up endless questions.

being that it is a fraction you would think somewhere at the long end of numbers, there would be a single number, that the chain would stop somewhere but even with powerful computers they cant find an end, just an stream of numbers with no apperant end.

even though i cant put it into words really and i used to hate math, i think some of the biggest questions and answers are in it.

so i leave you a quote from a modest mouse song i enjoy:

God is a woman and the woman is
An animal that animals man, and that's you
Was there a need for creation?
That was hiden in a math equation
And that's this:
WHERE DO CIRCLES BEGIN?

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
An Engineering Solution

Originally posted by kleverone

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
it's probably just a simple growth model that nature tends to follow. nothing special

Thats my whole point, I believe that it is special, my question is why? I am aware of the shortest disatance between to points, but this is not the case.

The answer is that the spiral curve that appears when two variables in Fibonacci ratio to one another are graphed represents an excellent solution to a wide range of engineering problems that crop up in the growth and development of organisms. This page on the Surrey University maths department server explains it all quite clearly.

<< 1   >>

join