It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Hear Them Now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Speak up, space aliens. These 42 new radio telescopes are all ears.

As for me, being from the generation of the original "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" sagas, it has always peeked my interests into wanting to know if there is a way to communicate with being's from another world. Though the practicality of actually having a conversation isn't feasible, the out right discovery of an intelligent communication device from many light years away would be the first contact and very good sign. The field of groups such as SETI and the Pheonix programmes would be revived to another standard of ergency, for it would be the most important discovery too man kind, too know life (Intelligent Life) exists beyond the realm of our Solar system and that there could be many more out there with the same abilities of communication. "Why Radio Wasves?" you say . It is the most efficient way to communicate with the thing's that are in outer space and the waves are capable penetrating deep space, given the coincided time of it's transmition departure from it's origin, and as we have deduced,"Radio waves travel endlessly once they are deployed."
Well, it turn's out there are a select group that are reviving the anticipations of the SETI and the Pheonix program to create the biggest satelite dish telescopes ever ventured for the exploration of possible "First Contact" .
The story is very intrigueing and the effort's are admirable, we can only hope that the technologie's put forth to the creation of this adventure will produce great outcome's and other cosmic radio anomilies for astrophysiscists and the like.
It is truly a great read and very informative into the "Not so long ago ideas" coming back with a possible full swing into the "New Space exploration" applications.

www.airspacemag.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Allred5923, I myself am a bit older, but was also a Star Trek fan. I grew up reading the SF books that were the backbone of inspiring people to think we really could go to space. I've never stopped wanting to reach the stars.

I am proud that there are people like this lady still trying, when so many have gave up. It would make an old buzzard like me very happy to hear that she found a signal. People worry about how the world will react to knowing we are not alone, but I think a lot of us will just be plain thrilled when that happens.

Good find.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
yeah the ATA is wicked, lets hope they can find the money to take it up a level or 2 over the next decade. ATA-350 would be amazing

Its a long shot but theres not much else we can do, even SETI optimists like seth shostak say the nearest communicating civilization would be 1000 light years away- so they would have to be sending a signal for 1000 years before it reached us :/

the ATA-42 will be doing a Galactic center survey- any signals from there would have to be transmitting for several thousand years if we are to hear them. But you wont hear anything unless you try!

p.s any thoughts on sending a signal ourselves? please add them here www.abovetopsecret.com... ive had no genuine responses

[edit on 18-6-2007 by yeti101]

join