It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a Christian or Human... What is the point in living?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
misuneko, thanks for all that attention to my post.
Nice try...sorry, but there are no easy ways.

We have too many bad habbits, too many demons are steady tenants in our souls.

The hardest way is the only way. For pure souls, it is a very easy way...but for us average mortals, it requires self control and effort.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spoodily
You live simply to have a persona and character to be in the next phase of your life. This life is simply another womb in which you are growing into the person you are.

You were a fetus in your mother's womb and birthed into another mother's (Earth) womb to continue growing.

Do fetuses consider being born dieing? No, they are just starting life.

I find that a very interesting ideology, i like it. From where did the thought behind this comment originate? Religion?

Originally posted by misuneko

Its not until a person learns how to be positive and to them manifest their own positive creations and take advantage of the good things that they come across and be pro active and energised.

Very vaild point, however, as someone who has ALWAYS been an optimist, to get to where i am now this idea of learning to be positive seems redundant.

SilentShadow,

If you are at the point that you are willing to end your life, you have reached the point where you are willing to fight for what you believe in because you have nothing left to lose. I realized this ten years ago.

I think here will be the best place to clear this up. I am not willing to end my life by my hands, however, the thought of dieing right now is not the unwelcome outcome it used to be. Are they one in the same? Maybe.

I do honestly feel that the biggest reason for not flirting with suicide is because of my girlfriend. I know how selfish suicide is and i can for her to much to do that to her.

Fight the good fight. Everything will be OK, you will see.

If only i could see it now lol... would make everything so much better.

Originally posted by dAlen
Interesting question.
"What is the point of living?"

Here is my question:

- Why does everything have to have a point?
Why cant we be a wondering bunch of pointless people.

It's gives a purpose, something to live for, something to aim at and achieve. Once that goal is achieved it is also important to create another goal to head towards and achieve.

Too many times you hear of people giving up and dieing because of a lack of purpose. I currently feel the same way, what positive goal do i have to work towards that is not going to give me more problems to add to my whirling pool of depression?

I am not going to quote the last 7 or so posts, however, i feel they have all incredible valid points.

I am indeed at the lowest point in my short 23years, however, i do understand everything accentuated due to my current condition. But this doesn't make me feel any better. I know everything will get better, but that doesn't help me now. Just because it is going to get better does not give me something somewhat tangible that i can reach out, grasp, *sigh* and say... its over.

The last 18months have hurt, and now here i am unwillingly doing things i know are not right and hurting the people i love (particularly my girlfriend), but there is nothing i have been able to do to change that. I have eaten nothing but chicken nuggets for a month (one meal a day), and i have no desire to eat anything else. I have gained 10kg's, i am incredibly irritable and snap at anyone, even saying things to groups of people i would never normally say. I am constantly miserable, i suffer anxiety (one example, everytime i am in my car i am afraid i will hit and kill someone). I cannot think or even speak as clearly and properly as i used to. I hate myself (i cannot even look at myself in a mirror), I cannot sleep well, in fact, i have no desire to do ANYTHING, including being intimate with my girlfriend.

I can list more problems, i can list remedies, but that does not help change the fact that i feel the way i do... worthless without a happy future.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It is good to pray. When you are alone, say your prayers, in your own words, honestly to yourself. Pray long and often. Praying gives a lot of strength

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by swimmer
It is good to pray. When you are alone, say your prayers, in your own words, honestly to yourself. Pray long and often. Praying gives a lot of strength

I hope so...

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentShadow
I can list more problems, i can list remedies, but that does not help change the fact that i feel the way i do... worthless without a happy future.

hmm. again, your equating your happiness with 'future'.
I know its stating the obvious, but the future never happens, nor the past.
Its all 'present' moments.

Think of it this way.
Some people have something to look 'forward' to.
But they NEVER get there.

i.e. I am studying aikdio, but to what point?
To get a black belt - and when I do, then what?
To be a master? and then what.

the mind is tricky, as most people are convinced that these 'goals' give their life worth.
Once they meet the goals, there is a 'fleeting' satisfaction, and then you are 'empty'.

Again, we are dancing around a circle, one that would be best avoided.
And that is putting 'worth' in things that cannot satisfy. (The bible alludes to this when it says dont lay for yourself treasures on earth.)

If you cannot be satisfied with the moment, you will not be satisfied with the future.
Im saying this, as you have pointed out and most people believe that there must be some purpose.

And again, I say...why have a purpose...All this does is create a lot of 'present' moments that when you reach the 'future' (which is present when you get there) you will not be satisfied.

Why not just 'flow' with life.
'Be the water - not the rock' stuck in one idea or system.

We are here for a short period of time - no one honestly has valid proof for anything beyond life. Now we can be depressed about this - or you can look, breathe (air, breath of life, most of us do not 'breathe' our breaths are shallow and we are nervous)....literally breathe in life and see what you can make of the moment.

Lets say a person has a goal to build an empire and they set their life on doing that.
To most...he/she has purpose. But do they enjoy the steps in making the empire?
Also, dont forget, as Solomon said, after you pass who knows if someone wise will come along or someone foolish to destroy your lifes work.

So he summarized, what I am trying to say...enjoy what you have in this moment.
Are you not satisfied with what your doing? Do you see its a choice, and you can change? Or is it a thought pattern that likes to 'feed' off of you and a story of an 'unhappy' life?

I may not be able to put it into words, but I would highly recommend Eckhart Tolles "New EArth" audio format...it may give you your purpose you are looking for, and something tangible 'now'. Again, if your a Christian, his teaching will be kosher for you as its philosophy and not 'religion' - although the first chapter may throw Christians with their theology, but again, hes not teaching religion so pass what doesnt work and use what does. Just a recommendation.

Peace dude

Dalen

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Heh... i am not your normal "Christian". I tend to worry my friends with my apparent "warped" sense of Christianity. They tend to not want to talk to me about it anyway lol in case i change their minds. I am VERY open to Spirituality in all forms and all religions.

I completely understand the concept of "going with the flow". That is how i normally love to live, water off a ducks back etc. The problem is, when that torrential amount of rain continues, it has gotten harder and harder to shake it off until the point where i guess i have given up.

Now i am so deep in despair all i feel i can do is look to the future for some solace, simply because the now is so dark. The problem like you have pointed out is that the future is not something i should look toward for solace.

Once again i am left with the now... and the great difficulty that lies here to bring some sense of... well... worth i guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join