It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Car Comes to US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I have seen at least one car in Albuquerque that looks remarkably like this car. When you see one it's hard to forget, because it looks so weird by US standards. It makes a Geo Metro look like a limo.

www.smartusa.com...

Be sure to watch this video.

The roadster isn't expected to debut in the near future.

www.smart.com

[edit on 2007/6/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That was a really interesting vid, Grady, thanks for sharing it.

That car looks more like one of my son's toys than something driveable. Where's a girl supposed to put her stuff? How do you do a week's grocery shopping?

If it comes down to a tradeoff of giving up cargo space for ultimate safety, I'll have to lean towards cargo space.

That'd be a cool little car to rent by the day for sightseeing in big cities, though.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
You see these all over Europe. I have seen one in New York City a while ago, but I think it was just on display, not being used.

It does look like a tin can deathtrap. Although I think it'd be good just for low speed city driving. You'd be able to parallel park with plenty of room to spare in almost the tiniest space!

[edit on 6/16/2007 by djohnsto77]

Cug

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I have seen at least one car in Albuquerque that looks remarkably like this car. When you see one it's hard to forget, because it looks so weird by US standards. It makes a Geo Metro look like a limo.

It's to bad Mercedes doesn't have the guts to import the smart line to the US. Instead they left it up to an importer who will never have the dealer network to support the car. (nor some sort of "cute" TV ad that would make it popular.)

The roadster isn't expected to debut in the near future.

I want one of those soo bad.. it would be the perfect replacement for my much missed Honda CRX. (Well if they get rid of their transmission and replace it with a proper 5 or 6 speed)

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
These are really great city cars. The ForFour is a little larger than the one in the vid and would have enough room for a small family weekly shop. As for transmission, unless you feel the need for speed and have to loon around like a chav, they have more than enough power for normal use.

I think the biggest problem is the fact that they are (and have been for a long time) owned by Merc!!

Hateful cars, and yes I know Merc make some of the best cars on the road, but I can't stand them. Ugly hateful lumps of pig iron!

new topics

top topics

join