It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lascaux on the Nile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Palaeolithic rock art depicting animal illustrations similar to those found in the Lascaux caves in France have been discovered in the Upper Egyptian town of Kom Ombo, reports

Lascaux on the Nile

Neolithic rock drawing similar to the ones in France, same type of Aurochs bulls drawn in Egypt, when I read things like this I wonder how the land looked befor it became a desert.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Nice find. They seem to be stating that the age there looking at for the rock art was around a hyper-arid period, 15000yrs ago and that the scenes depicted suggest they were a hunter/fisher culture, i'm not sure that the landscape wouldnt have been too different if thats the case.

I did like this bit.

There are also 10 highly stylised human figures shown with pronounced buttocks,

A stone age version of 'The Jerry Springer Show'.

mojo

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

hardly renoir though is it..?

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm skeptical.

The photos I see are not of very old artwork and certainly not neolithic. The patina/varnish hasn't reestablished and the lines are too bright.

...and then there's the issue that the cattle type are a bit too new, methinks.

So THOSE photos are of something that I'm pretty sure is a hoax.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Here's another source for the story:

antiquity.ac.uk...

But I don't have any real knowledge of how scholarly this publication is. The pictures from this site seem much more subdued than on that news magazine site. Is it possible they have been enhanced to show the reader the outline of the animals?

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
These are incised rock art, meaning that they were scratched or carved into the rock face. The photos that you are wondering about being frauds, were chalked by some one to show the detail on the rock face. This is done by rubbing a peice of chalk across the lives, and brushing off the face, leaving the chalk sitting in the cut lines.
If you read the captions below the pictures on the linked article, it was done by someone other than the Belgium archeological mission. My guess is it was done by a local tour guide for the tourists that come to the area.
This is a well known site and has been worked for years by different archeology groups.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Direwolf
These are incised rock art, meaning that they were scratched or carved into the rock face. The photos that you are wondering about being frauds, were chalked by some one to show the detail on the rock face. This is done by rubbing a peice of chalk across the lives, and brushing off the face, leaving the chalk sitting in the cut lines.

You're right -- and I see that now! Thanks for the correction.

If you read the captions below the pictures on the linked article, it was done by someone other than the Belgium archeological mission. My guess is it was done by a local tour guide for the tourists that come to the area.
This is a well known site and has been worked for years by different archeology groups.

That makes perfect sense now. Good call! And yes, I saw from other sources that it's genuine, so skeptical ol' me made a bad call here!

top topics

join