It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hi, I'm new here blah blah

Anyway, I noticed a 1 pixel by 1 pixel insert at the bottom of everypage

It leads to images.abovetopsecret.com...

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Maybe it's just a place holder of sorts?

Really don't know. The best person to ask would be SkepticOverlord, he's the guy that designs this Discussion Board.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Thanks for that .. so

Skeptic-Overlord!!?

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
SkepticOverlord, one of the Administrators of this site.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
thanks

So Skepticoverlord, what is this thing?

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
stopthenwonow
A good observation, and welcome I am sure you will find much education, debate and fun here, if you don't your not looking hard enough at the posts rather than the graphics! lol

Anyhow as Skeptic is usually very very busy and even though he is a Overlord he is not quite Omnipresent YET... so he is probably unaware of your request.... so do the following my intrigued friend

Look at the buttons under the ATS banner on the top of this page when Logged in to ATS. 3 buttons to the left of the LOG OUT button on the far right of Button Menu you will see a Member Center button if you go into there amongst many cool things you will notice and U2U Manager taking up most of the screen center. Look below that for send U2U. Put SkepticOverlord into the first box
To:
In the subject field something like Request / Please answer query
In the message field obviously your question about this Pixel but also put the link in for this thread so you can allow Skeptic to enlighten us all on this! in the thread.
Hope it Helps

Kind Regards

Elf

ElfEdit for spelling

[edit on 29-6-2007 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Oh wow great idea, thank you.

I'll let you know if I get a reply!

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm using that to initiate some custom programming as a means to identify absolute unique users on ATS.

There is a significant "controversy" brewing in the world of online technology and advertising about what is an "absolute unique" user, how to measure users, and how to report on a site's audience.

Companies like ComScore and Neilson like to convince the industry that their panel-based traffic estimates are the way to go because people delete far too many cookies (in reality, cookies expire). And traffic reports don't do a good job of identifying a "unique."

But their panels don't do well for the millions of niche websites, and they significantly under-rate sites like ATS.

I'm scheduled to speak at an Internet technology conference on the art of accurate analytics in September. Part of my presentation will cover what I'm learning through the code you noticed.

I'm logging a NEW unique user as someone with a combination of --
1- unique IP
2- unique Browser identifier
3- unique OS identifier
4- hits ATS from an offsite referral

If a new user has a unique combination of the first three *AND* comes to ATS from a link (not a bookmark), they are counted as a "new unique user."

None of the data collection, nor my planned presentation, conflicts with our Privacy Policy in any way.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Woah, looks like we found a new conspiracy topic!

You guys know this site ATTRACTS secretive folk right?.....

...I'm all for getting the collective topics on ATS some mainstream attention though. If we can get "Companies like ComScore and Neilson" to validate interest in these topics so be it. It might help get some of this reality crap off TV and replace it with something like "Shapeshifting Zetas and ancient Babylon".. for real.

[edit on 29-6-2007 by Stale Cracker]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
OH ye moisture-ridden, crispless, and wafer-like One ...

When have you read anything to the contraire? It's been widely mentioned and reported that various .ABC-type users have and do access these domains ... just as they do Many other sites on the web.

ATS attracts Many folks ... secretive and otherwise.

Why would you consider that topically relevant to a discussion of the 1 X 1 pixel graphic that the OP inquired about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a side note:
I'm having clam chowder for dinner. D'ya have any fresher brethren amongst ye?

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
are you aking me?!

I'm really stunned by your overly witty response and find myself distally stunned. But just distally... It was too clever to be clear.

So am I now gonna lose 8 billion points because I think I've insulted a mod?.. uh-oh......

Clarify, eh?...

If you meant someone else than forget what I just said.

you're my hero

edit italics

[edit on 29-6-2007 by Stale Cracker]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stale Cracker
are you aking me?!

No. I'm not aking. No claim of royalty, here.

I was just curious as to relevance of "this site ATTRACTS secretive folk", when the topic of discussion is "» ATS Freshman's Forum » I have a question! » Post Reply" (?) ... about an image file at the bottom of pages. (?)

SO answered my query near word for word [verbatim] ... and that was over a month ago.

By the way ... it's an excellent Manhattan-style chowder. Could you please out a few fresher brethren? ... especially if they're of the Oyster-type.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAH

I love ATS.

Why do I pay for cable!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
man all this meassuring of hits and stuff is getting complicated.

goog luck at the Internet technology conference

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
A little while back, I posted some preliminary findings here:
www.webmasterworld.com...
(fourth post down)

More than two months into the test, and we're still showing less than 10% of our repeat visitors actually manually delete cookies.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I fear that this has something to do with screwing us on the next alltheconspiracies.com game.

The next referal stage is a-gonna be hella excruciating.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuning Spork
I fear that this has something to do with screwing us on the next alltheconspiracies.com game.

[off topic]Patience my friend, patience.[/off topic]

[on topic]Well at least we know more about that suspicious little pixel[/on topic]

top topics

join