It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random question: Does TK burn calories?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I was thinking about telekinesis and whether or not it violates the laws of physics. I figure that it must burn calories or something, otherwise this energy would be coming from nowhere. What do you think?

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
In spionics (this is my view not THE view) you don't USE energy, you simply relocate it. Energy is all around us, just imagine the amount of energy falling out of the sky when its raining. Same with psionic energy, its around you like air, all you do is relocare or first absorb and then relocate it. Energy is NEVER used up, it is simply converted to another form (scientific fact, the law of energy preservation, everyone in highschool knows, or is supposed to know this).

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DazedDave
I was thinking about telekinesis and whether or not it violates the laws of physics. I figure that it must burn calories or something, otherwise this energy would be coming from nowhere. What do you think?

Well, yes I would say that it does burn calories, but in an indirect fashion. I believe psi to be excreted by the human nervous system, sort of a byproduct if you will.

It's trying to get the psi to do what you want that's what is so taxing. I would guess it burns calories, because whenever I perform TK I break a sweat. Sometimes I'll be sweating all over the place, though most of the time only the area where I'm projecting psi from gets sweaty(most often my hands).

That's what I've experienced anyway, and I can't really say much more than that.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Energy doesn't just come from nowhere. It really is all around us. I dont think it is wise to assume that an abnormal ability will result in normal energy exchanges.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I would say anything that increases the activity level of the brain will consume more calories.

The brain is the biggest consumer of glucose in the human body (based on weight) and it stands to reason that telekinetic activity woul and should spike brain activity levels.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
TK can burn calories but that is something that should be avoided

When channeling telekinetic energies, it is important to not get the body in the way. It also depends on the energy itself. But if one does not get the body out of the way and strains when performing TK (a problem that Nina Kulagina had), then it causes the heartbeat to quicken and the blood pressure to rise.

The long-term effects of that are not healthy to the body.

Kulagina's psychic abilities eventually led to a strain on her health culminating, in the late seventies, in a near fatal heart attack. Her doctors recommended that she reduce her activity, though she kept up some lab work until she died in 1990, around the time of the death of the Soviet Union itself. At her funeral, Soviets praised her as a ‘hero of Leningrad’ after her bravery during the nine-hundred-day siege of World War II. But many also lauded her for sacrifices of a different kind to her country, allowing scientists and doctors to examine and test her psychic abilities incessantly in their quest for an unknown and elusive energy. In the end this exhausted her, ruined her health, and probably hastened her death.

Source: Nina Kulagina

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
There are two different methods of harnessing energy for telekinesis. The first is using energy in your own body. The second way is harnessing energy that is not a part of you, from whatever source... the air, the sun, etc. Only the first way would burn calories. Or at least considerably more. You burn calories just blinking, so mental focus and waving your hands around or whatever technique you use for telekinesis will likely burn energy.

top topics

join