It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland, Civil War at home, Revolution Abound

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mzrti

Originally posted by budski

I'd like to ask how many people here are paddy's?

And how many people here have had experience of a terrorist attack?

I'm a "Paddy" (can that be construde as racism?) I grew up living in a "ghetto" in west Belfast and was here during the "troubles" and witnessed/ experienced many vile acts being committed on all sections of our community by each others percieved foes, and I do include the British soldiers in this. Some of those poor squadies seen things nobody should have to witness or endure.

Hey dude, that wasn't my original post - sort out your posting technique

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
How is this bias considering I am from the US.

You are one sick individual to compare terrorist attacks and claim one is better than the other. What else is your point in comparing them? There is no other point. You obviously do not see the errors in your own perception. As neformore stated, this discussion is not going to go anywhere. That's all I have to say about it. G'night.

[edit on 16/6/07 by SteveR]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

You are one sick individual to compare terrorist attacks and claim one is better than the other. What else is your point in comparing them? There is no other point. You obviously do not see the errors in your own perception. As neformore stated, this discussion is not going to go anywhere. That's all I have to say about it. G'night.

[edit on 16/6/07 by SteveR]

I don't think hes saying one is better than other, hes just trying to show what happened in the North over the years happens nearly everyday in the middle east by english forces and while they were both horrific things, and could and SHOULD be avoided still happened and one gets treated different than the other

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

neformore - Can you say "Tony Blair is a scumbag who shouldnt be considered a human and should have the same thing done to him as his government has done to others". Can you say "the Queen is a scumbag and the Kings of England are Bastards who still hordes treasures from previouse Kings and Queens that England conquered many moons ago". Thats all I am saying. Even in the post above you name everyone as "scumbags" and Tony Blair is only an idiot. Call spade a spade even if its YOUR OWN COUNTRIES LEADERS.

OK. I'll call a spade a spade.

You have some serious issues with British people.

You also appear to have some control issues over what you want people to say.

Well, I'm not one of Pavlovs Dogs, so you can get your jollies elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
See - now heres a typical example.

What - do tell - do the British "continue to do now" ?

I think you've got me all wrong here. I'm talking about everything the British empire have done in the past and do now more subtly, not isolated to Ireland. If only Colonials meant times of excessive calone

Do you know what you are talking about at all?

The Queen? She's all I think about...

Do you not know that the current administration in Northern Ireland is a power sharing assembly, brokered jointly by the British and Irish Governments and run by a Protestant Unionist Minister with previous links to the UPA (Ian Paisley) and a former Provisional IRA leader (Martin McGuiness)

I do now!

I thought this site was about denying ignorance, not displaying it.
[edit on 16/0607/07 by neformore]

Never been to the 9/11 subforum then?

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Hey dude, that wasn't my original post - sort out your posting technique

sorry, i know it wasn't you I was just being fasecious. I didn't mean anything by it.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
neformore - Where in ANY of my posts do you get I have a problem with the British people.
AGAIN, I DO NOT revert to calling people ignorant, bastards, and whatever word you decide to use to BLAST another person or there country. So, just to make it PERFECTLY clear, I do not have a problem, as you say, with the British people. I HAVE A PROBLEM with your Government and the Queen and your Kings. I HAVE A PROBLEM with MY Government and its leaders and its policies. I see a very simple difference between me and you, I have the balls to see my countries faults and you dont.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlissfullIgnorance
I'm sorry but i find that very offensive, saying I am ignorant when I do actually know what I am talking about. Many North irish wanted her presence to remain because many of them are protestant, although not all. The british are predominantly protestant.

Are you actually aware that the history of the conflict between Ireland and Britain is much older than the recent presence of the British in Ireland?

Did you know that Ireland once had control over the ancient tribes in Britain, were opressive towards the tribes of Britons, and usually "ordered" payment in the form of money and young people to keep from attacking the Briton tribes?

The history of the conflicts between Ireland and Britain, and including Scotland, is very long, and all sides brought destruction and oppression to the other.

The Irish, the Picts, the Scots, etc, they all also oppressed the early Britons for centuries.

Even after the offerings of money and young Brtitons, this didn't completely stop the raids from the early Irish, or the early Gaels of Scotland in the land once known as Alba, or the raids of the Picts, or when the Picts and the Scots were united in one kingdom until the reign of Kenneth II.

People often time have no idea that many of the present conflicts actually started centuries ago, and that what some people call the "present opressors" were usually the oppressed in times past.

I am not saying that the Britons did not later on commit attrocities towards the Irish, and the Scots. What i am saying is that they all one time or another oppressed and plundered the other tribes and these conflicts led to the present conflicts around the world.

[edit on 16-6-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Very great points in the above post by Muaddib. Many conflicts around the world have Centuries old overtones. My main points in this thread and many others is that every country needs to learn from there past mistakes or there bound to repeat them. Its not like when you touch a hot stove and you burn your hand and you learn from you mistake. These types of mistakes are about LIVES for goodness sakes. As long as any country oppresses or harms people where ever it is, it is wrong and ultamately costs lives.

We all need to wake up and see that as a World we are more advanced than societies before us and we should of by now been able to get along even with past mistakes. The constant wars and genocide is getting so old all over the world that it drives me mad to see the 'same ol' crap happening thats been happening over thousands of years. The only difference is that the weapons of war are more dangerous and grotesque.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
hoochymama, i am afraid there will always be conflicts in this world.

It has been proven that for one reason or another, there have always been conflicts.

We are all different and have different ideas and opinions, and these sometimes turn into arguments, and sometimes arguments turn into conflicts, and conflicts turn into wars.

Throughout the history of the world there have always been conflicts. Sometimes the wars were fought in the name of religions, sometimes for resources and land, and sometimes just because some people are violent and like to plunder and bring destruction and oppression upon others.

This i am afraid is not going to change, at least not any time soon.

[edit on 16-6-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   

neformore - Where in ANY of my posts do you get I have a problem with the British people.
AGAIN, I DO NOT revert to calling people ignorant, bastards, and whatever word you decide to use to BLAST another person or there country. So, just to make it PERFECTLY clear, I do not have a problem, as you say, with the British people. I HAVE A PROBLEM with your Government and the Queen and your Kings. I HAVE A PROBLEM with MY Government and its leaders and its policies. I see a very simple difference between me and you, I have the balls to see my countries faults and you dont.

Maybe you have a problem with Cromwell, or the king a 150 years ago, but the actual English government? As far as I know, The English army has left Dublin, and all of the Republic
So how are you going to justify bombing Manchester or London, and killing people that have nothing to do with the conflict? Conflict which doesn't exist anymore, and should never have, since 1921.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The IRA is like the Mafia, control freaks using political and religious excuses to attack and control people.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
My God, how can you believe there is gonna be an "invasion" of Northern Ireland ? You must be mixing reality and fantasy.
I'm French, and your post made me think about what it would be about France "the Corsican National Liberation Front is preparing a military attack of the island" As a French, I'd smile first, and note the poster's name just to make sure i think twice when i read his/her posts.

This is bull#, the IRA uses terrorism to promote their cause. How "good" is that , sending innocent people flying in the air with bombs???? You are stupid, promoting nationalism is disgusting for as long as the nation itself is not threatened of extinct.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

Originally posted by aeionu
The Real I.R.A do not deal in drugs or anything of the sort. The splinter groups do and are despised by the Real I.R.A . Trust me i know, anybody in ireland will tell you that if your a drug dealer your greatest fear is a Real I.R.A man. Thank YOU for your blind ignorance.

There's no "real" or "false" IRA, they're all terrorists, and have nothing to do with the Republic. Thinking of starting killing innocent people to "free" NI in this day and age is just ridiculous, I mean Eire is part of the EU, and so is the UK.

actually, when he said Real IRA he means the RIRA, a branch group of the IRA. Not saying the true and false IRA, but its an actual group name..

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
hi, im an irish man, born in belfast. you can talk all day and night about the Irish troubles but for all you guys in the rest of the world go to youtube and type 'belfast' into the search and watch some of the 'toughest towns in britain' vids and some of the family feud vids, if you want to know what living in a country with ground in terrorism is like.
everyone has to let the past go and move into the new contiousness together!!
peace.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
just a quick message
2 teenages drinking in a pub in a town called Poyntz Pass, n.ireland
the ira walked in and shot them both dead, their crimes, 1 was catholic and the other protestant and they were best mates from birth.

in portadown an ira cell were driving a van packed to the back doors with explosives which they were meant to park in the middle of the town and demolish the town just shortly after the town was rebuilt from another huge bomb but they got scared and dumped the van in a catholic estate in a panic. this was close to a handful of shops, a factory and a school plus all of the houses.
this is why we call it the dirty war in the north and not the good fight

may the peace continue for the north

btw
thx Matt_Mulder, you have my vote

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliffy
just a quick message
2 teenages drinking in a pub in a town called Poyntz Pass, n.ireland
the ira walked in and shot them both dead, their crimes, 1 was catholic and the other protestant and they were best mates from birth.

may the peace continue for the north

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, were the two men in question not actually murdered by loyalist paramilitaries? And did the terrorists not randomly shoot into a bar which was considered a "catholics" pub? I might be barking up the wrong tree here and I stand to be corrected.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlissfullIgnorance
actually, when he said Real IRA he means the RIRA, a branch group of the IRA. Not saying the true and false IRA, but its an actual group name..

I know, but I was pointing out they were both IRA, and both scum.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Not necessarily. the RIRA engages in military tactics, while the PIRA and IRA of the past (which as often associated with Sein Fein, a legitimate political party) use mainly political and economic ways to try to regain the rest of the island.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This thread almost died a painful death. I have some questions regarding Ireland in general which has nothing to do with the IRA or RIRA, although I think with the advances of Sinn Fein and Gary Adams now being in a Political role, they may begin progress in getting Ireland as an all Irish nation.

The questions I have are twofold:

In the North, are the majority of people Irish or British??

In the North, do the majority of people still wish to be under the British umbrella???

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join