It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's plan for Illegals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
What do you people think of Bush's new plan to let illegal immigrants get legal status after working here for 3 years?

I don't like this plan, I think it will keep the minimum wage down and keep unemployment rates high.

The whole thing just don't seem right.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Sure!
Give them an incentive to jump the border!
Infact, why don't we just tear down the borders and let them all come and go as they please.
They have more rights than we do.

I am totally for these Vigilante (sp?) border patrols.
Someone has to do it, the Gov. is not.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There needs to be a border lockdown. Get the damn military back home and set them to work doing what they are supposed to, defending our country.

But that leaves the problem of current aliens. I propose an amnesty for those here, which would allow us to process them into the system and get them in the tax system (no more free lunches brother).

After a set amnesty time, all people caught here not under political asylum would be deported immediatly, no questions, do not pass go.

Gone, that day, or the day after at the latest. It's all the delay and trials that clog our system and make it ineffective.

Not to mention that the INS is rediculously ineffective on all fronts

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Why not ? - isn't that what happened originally with the US. People moved there and worked for a living. I agree with Bush on this.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
yeah why not?

the liberals gutted the country anyways why bother trying to save it for the people that actually built it now,

its too late!

anyways he needs to kiss up to them to get votes else they will vote democrat as immigrants always do.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I don't think this new law will apply to all foreign immigrants anyway. Of course they probably won't allow Haitians or Arabs take advantage of this proposed plan. I feel Bush is doing to this to assure himself votes from the Mexican and Californian voters.

Anyway, INS can't even keep up with all the people who simply overstay visas now, what makes them think they can actually enforce this now?????

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I voted for Bush and I support him but I simply cannot on this issue. Someone please tell me what good can come of this law? Better relations with Mexico? Why in the hell do we need better relations with Mexico?

This is all just a bunch of crap. I don't even see how this can win him votes because not too many people like it.

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
blackjack,

you have a point,

this is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't issues.

if he was democrat then it would be win win but in his case?

I get the impression that Mexico thinks the US owes it something...actually most countries of the world think this come to think of it...not sure why?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
i don't think it would make a difference if Bush was rep or dem on this one. The plan doesn't make sense. Why change existing immigration laws that don't work instead of creating new ones that are sure to fail.

btw, my family followed the legal process and I was separated from my mom for over 5 years before I was granted permission to come here (this was ages ago) but gosh darn it
if we had to do it, so should everyone else who wants to come here. There should be no free passes into this country.... this govt also need to reconsider the cuban policy, why do they get stay just cuz they set foot on american soil.

but back to current issue, I feel that allowing these immigrants to come here and work, will just take away jobs from real americans. Their willingness to work for low wages also will affect our minimum wages and this country will continue to face economic problems.

did anyone see that credit card debt thing? wow, the average american is deliquent with over $12,000 in cc debts. How will these people ever pay these debts if there aren't enough jobs for them here?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Once they are here, they mail alot of their money back to their families in other countries and it's out of our economy.

I work with 4 people that do this that I know of.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It's going to further depress wages of unskilled workers. It sucks-we should be enforcing our laws better. We need to secure those borders and stop hoping folk won't be dumb enough to try and cross the desert to get here. We also need to help raise the wages and working conditions in the south and sanction companies that refuse to pay a livable wage because of the location of their plant.

I believe this is a further attack on our sovereignty. It's part of globalization. Its the watering down of american thinking society. What will we do with all these unskilled workers? How can our economy support our high standard of living when you got unskilled workers willing work for less than a livable wage because they don't know any better. We are fighting now to get the minimum wage raised to a livable standards but the government is intent on further depressing our standard of living in a few years america will be a completely different place. It'll be a 3rd world country as far as wages go.

It's time to revolt against these policies of globalization. We need to be more protectionist. That is not a bad word.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
We have 10 million federal felons[illegal aliens] here already. How many jobs do you think there are for these folks. The second largest income ,after oil, is cash from the united states for mexico.
The language is going to hell, the standard of living is going to hell, and as far as I'm concerned the Mexicans can go to hell!!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I don't think this idea is going to wash, and I personally believe that Bush knows this.

I did find alot of truth in this photo though.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Mexicans, it's been said, mail back more money than Mexico makes in tourism and almost as much as they make oil. It's a sought after demographic by financial institutions that want to 'help' those sending money back!!!

Seeker, I find a lot of truth in the photo also. I've also been a fan of a tighter border!

But I think it's still a sign of this country's greatness that people are willing to risk their life, whether they travel days in the terrible heat through the desert or in a make shift raft, to get into the US while most of us our born with this wonderful privilege of living in the Bush gulag. I'm actually quite humbled by their efforts.

When they arrive however, it�s my hope that they get right to work, become constructive citizens and get taxed into oblivion like the rest of us. Lol.

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO

the liberals gutted the country anyways why bother trying to save it for the people that actually built it now,

Who? You mean slaves?j/k....sorta

Anyway, this is one of the maybe 2 things Bush has proposed that I agree with. It's an ok idea, but it needs some polish. It's pretty clear that he's only doing it to get some of the Hispanic vote in november.

But why are Americans always complaining about Mexicans coming over the border? What do you think they're taking good jobs? You know like picking oranges, cleaning toilets, and mowing the lawn. Ha, without these people the country would probably collapse!

Too bad xenophobia and fear of brown people blinds people to the true reasons for illiegal immigration.

[Edited on 1/8/2004 by Flinx]

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
You need to think about the United States as your house.
In fact it is your house with many rooms!
.If someone breaks into your house and has a baby they do not deserve a room. If someone breaks into your house they do not deserve free food, If someone breaks into your house they do not deserve free I.D. that says they reside there. They should not get employment from you ,and if no employment is available you do not owe them money from your employment.
They are criminal and should be dealt with as they are.

No money,no food,no lodging,no job.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Bush just gave up all those California delegates in an attempt to win NY from Dean.

Face it, Ahnold WON on the anti-illegal platform. It's not going to be good to be incumbant Bush in Cali.

He'll still win but it is pandering. I just hope it backfires.

Remember when Republicans were conservative? Good times.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
instead of "give me your tired, your wretched, your poor" the statue of liberty now reads f uck you. when i first thought of mexicans coming across the border i didnt like it but when you think about it can you blame them? unless your an american indian isnt that how everyone got here? also the sending the money back to mexico i think hurts us but can you blame them? lets say america was poor and you needed work to support your family? would you not go to another place with more opportunities and send money back to them? it would be horrible of them to just abandon their family and come here and keep all the money for themselves. also here is a neat picture i think which can be found at www.maddox.xmission.com

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashley
You need to think about the United States as your house.
In fact it is your house with many rooms!
.If someone breaks into your house and has a baby they do not deserve a room. If someone breaks into your house they do not deserve free food, If someone breaks into your house they do not deserve free I.D. that says they reside there. They should not get employment from you ,and if no employment is available you do not owe them money from your employment.
They are criminal and should be dealt with as they are.

No money,no food,no lodging,no job.

Since you mention that you went to your grandma's church (Tongue speak), is it safe to assume that you are either a Christian or considering a Christian religion ?

If so, I will state categorically that your last comment stinks of hypocrisy. For did Christ himself not say :

For I was hungry and you gave me food,
I was thirsty and you gave me drink,
I was a Stranger and you Welcomed me,
I was naked and you clothed me,
I was sick and you visited me,
I was in prison and you came to me.'
Truly, I say to you,as you did it to one of the least of these,my brethren,you did it to me.
Matthew 25

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal

This is all just a bunch of crap. I don't even see how this can win him votes because not too many people like it.

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

1 in 8 Americans is Hispanic. He's hoping to get their vote.

What I find strange is he announces this initiative at the same time as announcing the new 'visa only entry' to the rest of the world - even for people just wanting to visit the US on holiday.

So if I'm English and wish to visit NY for 1 week, I will soon need to queue at a US Embassy for a visa (and pay $100 for the privaledge), and my photo and fingerprintswill be taken.

If I'm Mexican and wish to work illegally, I just walk on in to the country with Bush's blessing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join