It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bye Bye Big Blue Marble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
This is a video from over a year and a half ago.
Somehow..Even a space geek like me, missed it.

A series of still frames made in to a short movie , taken by the Mercury mission called "Messenger"as it completed it's flyby of Earth, approximately one year after launch. It really gives you a great sense of movement, as the Earth rotates, while getting smaller and smaller in the viewfinder.

Flyby

By the way, Messenger completed it's SECOND flyby of Venus, a little over a week ago, on June 5th.

More information can be found Here, at the Messenger Website.

jra

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I love that video. It's really neat to see the Earth rotate as it moves away. I've been hoping that they did a similar thing with the recent Venus fly-by.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
awesome

thanks for posting i never seen it before.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
How come Gore's live feed of earth 24/7 was put down and terminated? We could be looking at earth in real time

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
How come Gore's live feed of earth 24/7 was put down and terminated? We could be looking at earth in real time

I had forgotten about that.
Apparently, politics, which gave birth to the Gore-sat, Otherwise known as Triana, helped to put that bird in the freezer.
Politics, and shuttle problems.

Triana put on Ice

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Im not saying this is fake but why does the surface look so fake especially when the reflection of the sun almost like a piece of plastic. There is also this black splotch that appears somewhere like at 8:00 position in like an ocean area on the video and then reappears..but its a big black splotch

Pie

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Hey Pieman.

It really does. I looks like a simulation.
While I can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's real.
I've seen other shots with the yellowish glint of the Sun, as well.

Here is one taken by Galileo, the Jupiter probe, on an Earth flyby
Earth by Gallileo

The whole series is here:
Earth shots.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
That definitely was NOT taken on a Mercury mission as mercury missions did not get that far away from the Earth. Looks like a simulation to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
That definitely was NOT taken on a Mercury mission as mercury missions did not get that far away from the Earth. Looks like a simulation to me.

No not the Manned Mercury missions from the pre-Apollo days.
But the unmanned mission to Mercury, called Messenger.
Arrival date is in January 08.

Time line is here:
Messenger Timeline

jra

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
There is also this black splotch that appears somewhere like at 8:00 position in like an ocean area on the video and then reappears..but its a big black splotch

I believe that would be the continent known as Australia

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Hey Pieman.

It really does. I looks like a simulation.
While I can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's real.
I've seen other shots with the yellowish glint of the Sun, as well.

That pic looks normal. The movie however looks totally unnatural. The surface just looks too shiny to be real. Must be some sort of artist rendering

Pie

jra

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
That pic looks normal. The movie however looks totally unnatural. The surface just looks too shiny to be real. Must be some sort of artist rendering

Water is rather reflective. It makes sense that it would be 'shiny' and create a diffused reflection of the Sun. Why do you think that it has to be an artistic rendering? How shiny should the Earth be exactly?

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Water is rather reflective. It makes sense that it would be 'shiny' and create a diffused reflection of the Sun. Why do you think that it has to be an artistic rendering? How shiny should the Earth be exactly?

Im probably wrong but it looks like one of those drawing programs where you use lighting ..Its hard to explain since Im not really technical about it.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Makes the earth look so tiny.
Brilliant Vid thanks

top topics

join