It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Phone Call Interviews

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Yo any information would be cool, as I don't really know if it's typical or not. I just got a call from who I'm assuming was a Marine Core recruiter. They were cool and everything seemed nice and were talking about joing the ROTC and the benefits of the military and what not. Is this normal? Do they typically call you and ask you personal stuff like how are your grades, do you like sports, etc? I was getting bored with it so I decided to just say I was going to eat dinner, and when I said that he sounded a little taken aback like I had insulted him. He was like, "Oh, well I had a few more questions to ask you but I see I've taken enough of your time. Thanks." Click. Is all that typical?

Also, since I was curious as to who it was I dialed *69 to figure out the number, and when I called back it just rings for minute after minute. It's unlisted on any site I can use to reverse phone search, so does anyone know any more thorough ways besides paying?

[edit on 14-6-2007 by Axe0312]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Did you fill out a card or flyer with your name and phone number?

You know that you are under no obligation to talk to anyone on the telephone and you don't need an excuse to hang up.

By the way, it's Marine Corps.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It is normal.

The Marine Corps, as well as all branches of the US military, are in need of new recruits. With the continuing war and the increasing negative opinion about it they are stepping up recruiting attempts.

Attempting to get to know you and becoming a bit personable with you is just 'good marketing'...so to speak. The sudden hang up is most likely the recruiter realizing that he will not be getting your interest or obligation and that he should get to the next number as quickly as possible.

Think critically about things and don't look to hard for some things to be sinister or off-base.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
If you went to public school, or are in public school, chances are you registered for the selective service. If you do this, you will get frequent calls from various recruiters.

"The Selective Service System is an independent federal agency operating with permanent authorization under the Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S.C. App. 451 et seq.). It is not part of the Department of Defense; however, it exists to serve the emergency manpower needs of the Military by conscripting untrained manpower, or personnel with professional health care skills, if directed by Congress and the President in a national crisis. Its statutory missions also include being ready to administer an alternative service program, in lieu of military service for men classified as conscientious objectors."

So basically, they have your info and can call to recruit. Or if say China invades the country tomorrow, you'll be called upon to help.

Have fun!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernDystopia
If you went to public school, or are in public school, chances are you registered for the selective service. If you do this, you will get frequent calls from various recruiters.

If you are a male of 18 years of age you must, by law, register for the selective service.

I learned that when attempting to obtain federal grants for school a few years back.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
They didn't tell you that in high school your senior year, my U.S. Government teacher my senior passed out registration cards to all of males in the classes so we could register.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It's not uncommon. They probably got your info through his school or something he filled out. I'd give it some consideration, but don't do anything with the military unless you're absolutely certain.

I'd go into the Navy or Air Force at this point in time, anyway.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Thanks for all the help, and I apologize for being an idiot and refering to it as the Marine Core, hah. I didn't think anything was sinister but it just seemed odd that the military calls and asks interview questions.. but thanks for the input everyone at least I know I'll be prepared to hang up quickly next time they call.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
No problem, we're happy to help. They were probably trying to determine your eligibility for military service.

new topics

top topics

join