It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, is it me, or are rocket scientists complete morons....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
(First of all, I'm not sure if this is really in the right place... Since I plan to go on and on, in a rant type style on this... I figured this would be the best place to post this. If I'm wrong, move it to the right place. )

Typically, i avoid current events like the devil. I don't think what the news stations and what world leaders say, is the truth anyway. However in my usual strange method, I have stumbled across something I find not only insulting to the general populous but as well to the world (and isn't about some whiny crying heiress). The Atlantis space shuttle has a "tear" in it's thermal blanket, and all NASA is doing is down playing it to nothing. They say things like "It's no big deal." and "It's not significant".

What the heck!?!?!?!?!

I have seen pictures of this "tear", and read on several news sites that it's 4 inches by 6 inches. 4x6?? I'm sorry, since when do we give tears dementions? That, my friend, is a hole... a HOLE!!!! A tear has length but no width... a hole has both. Why are they labeling it a tear? It only downplays the serious nature of this event. This is real news, and yet they put up a whiny brat instead of talking about the HOLE in the shuttle.

As they talk about it, they keep saying how "It's not a big deal" or "Insignificant". Ok, I'm no rocket scientist, and I'm not the brightest crayon in the box... but isn't a thermal blanket, part of the heat shield used to re-enter the atmosphere safely? Don't you think a HOLE in the HEAT SHIELD should be considered a big deal, and significant? My god, in contact places on the shuttle, temps get up to 2000 degree's C (that's 3632 degree's F for those of you who like F's). However, the location where this HOLE is, which is the rear, doesn't get that hot, temps only reach 700 degree's C (1292 degree's F). That is still to hot for humans to exist and survive. Yeah, that 700 degrees C is so much cooler, I'm sure those astronauts are going to be just fine. ::rolls eyes::

I read in a report that they aren't in that bad of shape due to the tile is still attached to the shuttle, and a space walk with some very special high heat resistant glue, will refasten it like new. So, your telling me they have miracle glue in the glove compartment of the space shuttle just in case of these kind of emergencies? Has it ever been applied in the vacuum of space, and what do they do if they accidentally glue themselves to the outside of the shuttle? What happens if they don't end up needing the miracle glue? Do they pull pranks on each other with it? Glue one guy to the ceiling while he's sleeping, glue another to the toilet? Will this glue be enough to keep another Columbia disaster from happening? On Columbia, they had lost a tile during re-entry back in 2003, and that is what NASA claims to have caused the explosion. (though the damaged tile on that mission was in the 2000 degree C area, not the 700 degree C area).

Those poor, poor people, right now sitting on the space station with their miracle glue. I'm sure they of all realize the seriousness of this situation. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they decide that it's just safer to sit on the station and wait for the next shuttle to come (granted nothing bad happens that time either). A woman who has been on that station since Dec, Sunita Williams has got to be upset about this. They came to replace her with Clayton Anderson and she has to try to go back to the earth in a space shuttle whose hole was repaired by a dangling tile and miracle glue. If that were me, I would be saying things like, "You know... I think I might just catch the next shuttle, but thanks anyway." The only one who is theoretically sitting pretty is Clayton Anderson, who is supposed to be up there for the next 4 months. I'm sure he's getting a lot of flack for that by the others. I wonder if NASA is telling them that this "Isn't a big deal" or that it's "insignificant".

What really gets me, is that I bet this wasn't considered important enough to even mention on any of the news programs. I bet it was just down at the bottom of the screen where that news ticker passes with random news that most people probably don't bother reading in the first place. This has been so downplayed and so ignored, that if this shuttle turns out to be another Columbia, most people will just be in shock that there was ever a problem.

WHY DO THEY TREAT US LIKE LITTLE STUPID KIDS!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I remember the Challenger explosion January 1986. Then the Columbia reentry. Nasa better fix this problem because I don't think Nasa can keep on like this if we loose Atlantis too. Is their any more shuttles? They don't need to down play it they need to fix it.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Tell me about it... why try to push it under the rug and hope no one notices? I'm curious about the miracle glue personally....

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

They have three shuttles still. Endevor was completed in 92.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
great, now all they got to do is send one up with the repair equipment. Then all will be well.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

pic of the "tear"....

yeah, that's most defiantly not a HOLE!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Those careless idiots are going to cause another disaster. If you're going to pour billions of dollars of tax payer's money into a space shuttle, FIX ANY HOLES BEFORE YOU LAUNCH THE DARN THING. How long's it going to take, 10 minutes?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
Those careless idiots are going to cause another disaster. If you're going to pour billions of dollars of tax payer's money into a space shuttle, FIX ANY HOLES BEFORE YOU LAUNCH THE DARN THING. How long's it going to take, 10 minutes?

Well that's the thing.... that happen in launch. So they built a ship so shoddy that they can't survive a launch these days. These guys are lucky that they got to space!

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Yeah, I think they are intelligent morons!

Very clever in what they can achieve but dumb to think these things should not be taken a little more seriously.

After the problems of the computers "going down" on the International Space Station the other day (Link here), they still don't really know what caused it! Derrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Fix the problem eh, to hell with the cause. "Let's just keep our fingers crossed, it's not our money."

Yeah, MORONS.

Edn

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
You know that this happens regularly, it really isn't that big a deal. It also isn't a tear, the blanket only pealed away slightly, They will be stapling it back in place, and if that isn't sufficient enough they will stitch it in place with the adjacent blanket.

JessicaS

My god, in contact places on the shuttle, temps get up to 2000 degree's C (that's 3632 degree's F for those of you who like F's). However, the location where this HOLE is, which is the rear, doesn't get that hot, temps only reach 700 degree's C (1292 degree's F). That is still to hot for humans to exist and survive. Yeah, that 700 degrees C is so much cooler, I'm sure those astronauts are going to be just fine. ::rolls eyes::

The human body can withstand temperatures will upto the thousand, firefighters do it every day. I personally had to withstand 200C for 20 minutes, you come out sweating enough for 10 people and a little dehydrated but otherwise fine, that may not be 700C but once you pass 150 it really doesn't make much of a difference.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Edn -- They keep miracle thread on the ship that wont catch on fire at those temperatures? I read somewhere they were using miracle glue. Also...

A candle burns at 700 degree's C. What happens if you put exposed skin for long term exposure to a candle flame? Unless they are completely covered from head to toe, and if that HOLE doesn't spread, like with Columbia... They will catch on fire, human skin is combustible. But i'm sure they have that miracle thread to keep everything together.

Nerbot -- You mean computers are going down on the station as well?? What else is going to go wrong....

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
The human body can withstand temperatures will upto the thousand, firefighters do it every day. ...that may not be 700C but once you pass 150 it really doesn't make much of a difference.

I agree, humans can stand temperatures of 700 degrees, BUT NOT FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.

And yes, there is a difference between 200 degrees and 1000 degrees. Its the difference between a first degree burn that scorches your skin a bit, and a third degree burn that melts away the fat from your flesh.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I agree, humans can stand temperatures of 700 degrees, BUT NOT FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.

Theb1uesoldier is right. you can pass your finger through the center of a candle flame for an instant... but hold it there. I bet in 2 seconds you will pull it out of the flame and you will have a burn. Ok, now imagine what it would be for however many minutes it would take to re-enter the atmosphere?

By the way... how long does it take to re-enter the earth's atmosphere? Anyone know?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
You are not exposed to the full temperature of the flame during that finger pass through. It takes time for the heat to radiate and bring your finger up to the temperature of the flame.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yes, SteveR... your right... it does take a few seconds to heat your finger to a temperature that you start to burn... but i can guarantee it won't reach 700 degree's C's before that happens....

A boiling pot is only 100 degree's C. If you put your hand in boiling water you get burned.... candle flame is about 760 degree's C. If you put your hand in a candle, you get burned... so if your crashing to earth, and the cabin even gets close to 700 degrees C's... wonder what will happen????

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yes, well I hope they make a safe return. Such a risky job...

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Mission control cleared Atlantis' seven-member crew to return following a successful space walk Friday to repair a torn thermal blanket using staples.

Full article here

Oh, I was wrong... no miracle glue... they had miracle staples. God, I hope it holds for re-entry on Tuesday... I'd hate to have it go wrong.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JessicaS
they had miracle staples.

That's even worse. :shk:

Office staples or something special?

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
No clue.. I was thinking the industrial staples that they use to staple cloth to boards or something like that.

Those poor poor people. I'm sure they are sitting on that station going "F@@@, we are all going to die, cause NASA is to stupid to care."

I seriously don't know why they would consent to actually try to return in that screaming metal death trap in the first place.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
99% of all people are blinded by their education
rocket scientist are no exception
the blind leading the blind

top topics

<<   2 >>

join