It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has any one got a idea for a New Weapon

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

OICW concept was put on haitus if I remember correctly... too expensive

Quite the contraire, the OICW is part of the Land Warrior system and is set for production as planned. And its is more expensive than the M-16 but it will not replace all of the M-16’s some of the M-16’s will be replaced by the XM-8 and some by the XM-29.

Initial fielding of the XM29 is currently scheduled for GFY08. The XM29 program has implemented a block upgrade or "evolutionary" approach to fielding the weapon system. This encompasses an "initial fielding" of a "Block 1" system, which is designed to enable insertion of future technology enhancements. This approach will expedite completion and qualification of the initial Block 1 design, while preplanning future upgrades, such as advances in sensors and electronics technologies, MEMS fuze elements, advanced composites and materials, fuel cells, Nano technologies, ceramic gun barrels, wireless connectors, and future digital technology. These enhancements will help further reduce system weight, increase lethality, improve ruggedness, and increase system reliability and effectiveness beyond the Block 1 design. The XM29 project schedule is aligned so the First Unit Equipped (FUE) supports the fielding of the Future Combat System (FCS). This positions the Block 1 XM29 FUE in GFY08.
The OICW will not replace all of the M16s/M4s.

The current U.S. Army Basis of Issue (BOI) is 4 OICW weapon systems per 9-man squad.

www.globalsecurity.org...

This picture explains how the XM-29 and XM-8 will be issued in the future.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Here is an idea: Lets ditch all these fancy electronic gizmos and gadgets, and get back to the 'old-school' blood, sweat and tears type of training. If I ever had to go to war, I'd walk right past an XM-8, M-16 or anything else to get to an M-14, the best battle rifle ever made.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well, I think i'd rather go with the G-3, very good rifle.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
Well, I think i'd rather go with the G-3, very good rifle.

G3?

cold war weapon ^^

you are sure you would use THIS weapon:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Any assault rifle is better than that "assault rifle" from Halo!!
Maximum effective range: 15 meters

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Listen the guy in the XM-29 is going to kill you before you get the chance to get him with your M-14.

You are behind a wall the air burst grenade is going to get you, you are in a ditch or fox hole the air burst grenade is going to get you, you are disguised at night the thermal sight on the gun is going to get you, you are quite a distance away the laser designator/sight is going to get you, you are in a room the air burst grenade is again going to get you. He can even see around a freaking corner and still get you.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Listen the guy in the XM-29 is going to kill you before you get the chance to get him with your M-14

I think the more likely senario will be: The XM-29 wonder weapon works great in the lab, but not so great in the field. So when the XM-29 gets clogged with dirt, jams, misfires and malfuntions (as all wonder weapons do), one will find that someone with an AK-47 just wasted their behind.

Wonder Weapons, have not, and will NEVER live up to the hype. peroid. The ideal infantry weapon would be simple, robust, reliable, and effective, (ie the M-14 and AK-47), none of the qulaties of the XM-29.

The US dependence on technology will be our undoing. Read the story of the Golem, very relavent:

www.ced.appstate.edu...

[edit on 5-4-2005 by KyleChemist]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I know that some radars that are used for SAMs on ships can really screw up any electronics. They also can disorient people (or possibly worse). You could use this as a base, and scale it down to be carried by infantry. This would work great as Anti-Aircraft or against land vehicles.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Torpedo with catamaran hull, travel above water initially at super high speed, then submerge at terminal approach

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
KyleChemist seems to me that you are stuck it the old way of thinking like the people who thought radar was a piece of junk that wouldn't work. Or the people that thought supersonic jets would not be possible or effective, the list goes on and on.
Plus the XM-29 is just as susceptible to clogging up as any other weapon in the world just because it places more emphasis on technology doesn't mean its more vulnerable to jam.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
KyleChemist seems to me that you are stuck it the old way of thinking like the people who thought radar was a piece of junk that wouldn't work. Or the people that thought supersonic jets would not be possible or effective, the list goes on and on.
Plus the XM-29 is just as susceptible to clogging up as any other weapon in the world just because it places more emphasis on technology doesn't mean its more vulnerable to jam.

WestPoint23, I think your caught up in all the hype defense contractors are pushing that all these wonder weapons (F/A-22, XM-29, Stryker etc.) are going to make us invincible. I used to work for the the 3rd largest defense contractor, believe me, if you saw how these weapon systems are designed, you'd wonder how they ever worked at all.

I'm NOT against technology, or new weapon systems, I just think the US (and other nations) need to be more carefull about using it, and should NOT become too dependent upon it. While the XM-29 looks cool, I'm having a hard time believing that all the gizmos on it will hold up under the stresses of combat (I could be wrong).

But if there is one thing I wholeheartedly believe, is (as mentioned before) the most effective weapon systems are simple, reliable, robust and effective. There are far too many instances in history that prove this.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yeah that gun looks pretty fragile with all the sensitive equipment on board. If you take that gun into a war zone it IS going to be tossed around, dropped on the floor, stuck in mud, jammed with dust, sand, slammed into all kinds of stuff, etc. High tech gizmos tend not to survive that but I guess we'll never know until the X- series guns see action.

The Kalashnikov series assault rifles is probably the most reliable and robust in the world. One guy who used the AK-47 (recreational I guess) told me he's fired thousands of rounds and only once did it jam on him.

Take a look at this hilarious video of AK74m
www.club.guns.ru...
Two guys fighting on a rooftop, one guy drops an AK74m off the two story building and some Russian madman picks it up and shoots it. Then another AK74 gets run over a truck and another Russian madman picks it up and shoots it all the same

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The military just doesn't buy rifles off the shelf anymore, they have testing grounds where they test these weapons to make sure they can take the very worst kind of treatment possible. And when it passes that, they send it out to the troops in Iraq or Afghanistan to see how it is in a real war the troops then write back to the Army about what is good and what needs to be changed or improved.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The other day I thought about homing sniper bullets, or perhaps remote controlled sniper bullets, with a vidoe camera at the front of the bullet, and a way to "drive" the bullet into its targets as its moving. but, why have war when we can have peace?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It would be very difficult to control a sniper bullet because of speed.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Well, I have a few concepts, one is very theoretical, and the others could be built now.
They are as follows:

Psi-gun:
Captures the natural psionic energy of a person, amplifies it, and shoots it as an energy blast or a"Psi-blast".

Onazuki special:
A machine gun with three barrels (each barrel has its own cartridgees) one in the middle, and two on the sides, hanging off the main gun body, equipped with a grenade launcher, capable of holding five grenades.

TriForce anti-aircraft gun:
A stationary gun, three barrels in a triangle formation, capable of shooting 50 rounds of anti-0aircraft ammo a second.

BriefCase gun(s):
A normal looking briefcase, but hidden in the sides are two (one on each side), mini-machine guns. The handle moves back to the seam-side, the handle itself is the gun trigger, you pull on it, and it fires, you stop pulling and it stops firing, the button to pop the guns up, is on the top of the briefcase.

Those are just a few of my weapon designs, the Psi-gun is the theoretical one, in case you did'nt catch it.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
With a little modification you could make this:

In a machinegun case...which can be operated from outside

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
"When you absolutely, positively, gotta take out every planet in the solar system; accept no substitute!"

A space based weapon, the PCS Launcher produces it's own projectiles from a special containment field. The singularity projectiles are coated with a special 6th state plasma that will dissipate at the desired range. Once released from it's plasma shell the singularity will consume all matter within a 500 mile (804 km) circular radius before losing energy and dissipating.

The new Vector Analysis Laser will automatically calculate orbit velocity and distance, giving a perfect delivery of payload every time. Use with the optional Mass Energy Proportion Meter to deliver the exact amount needed to complete the job with limited waste.

Supplies are limited. Order now. Offer not good with in store coupons. Please do not operate the PCS Launcher while under the influence of medications or drugs. If spontaneous molecular disintegration is noticed please seek the opinion of a physician immediately.
Big Bang Ballistics® is not responsible for atomic diffusion, spontaneous combustion or headaches caused by prolonged use of our products.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by ShadowHasNoSource]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The psigun would be cool, but that amplifier technology could also be used as tk, ap, oobe, cryokineses,pyrokineses, and shield implants

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I didnt think of that Kushi, that in itself would be a powerful weapon if mixed with those abilities.
Good catch.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join