It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Baghdad Bob" was...right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I was reading the "Where are they now?" feature on MSNBC and came across this quote from Baghdad Bob:

"Do not be hasty because your disappointment will be huge," al-Sahaf is quoted as saying in early 2003. "You will reap nothing from this aggressive war, which you launched on Iraq, except for disgrace and defeat." "We will embroil them, confuse them, and keep them in the quagmire," he said later, adding that "they cannot just enter a country of 26 million people and lay besiege to them! They are the ones who will find themselves under siege."

Interesting how a mocked quote 4 years ago turns out to be extremely accurate today.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It is isnt it,
We percieved it to be complete rubbish in the face of imperial might, how could a near 3rd world nation force the world super power to its knee's.
Even rummsfield suggested this war would last months, not years..

tis a pitty America has been defeated again.

Seems the only wars you can win, are the ones worthy of victory.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
But wait the wars not over yet
theres still time to win the fight.

At least thats what i keep on hearing.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
But tell me how the war is lost. It seams we are still there. If it was lost we wouldn't have any troops there. If you look back on WW 2 we seemed to be losing that war for a few years. It seem to me that if the US was allowed to fight an actual war they might have a better chance. Do you really think the US is using all they have in this war.
And how do you figure America is an imperial nation. Please explain this to me.

[edit on 15-6-2007 by steve99]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
But wait the wars not over yet
theres still time to win the fight.

At least thats what i keep on hearing.
No, that's not going to happen. Even if it was a war worth supporting, the masses still disapprove.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve99
But tell me how the war is lost. It seams we are still there. If it was lost we wouldn't have any troops there. If you look back on WW 2 we seemed to be losing that war for a few years. It seem to me that if the US was allowed to fight an actual war they might have a better chance. Do you really think the US is using all they have in this war.

I'm afraid we lost the war because the American people gave up. How can a soldier fight for freedom when the one's they defend spit on them? That's the major problem with America. They blame the military for the Government's wrongdoing.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Ironside, in your avatar area, it says your mood is enlightened. Not with that statement. Nobody is out there spitting on the troops. America supports the troops. These are our brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, Moms and Dads.

A lot of us may protest the war, we may be against the politicians, we may not be happy with the war profiteers, but almost everyone in America loves the troops.

We know that they are not there because they want to kill people, or be killed. And no matter which side of this war you're on, nobody in their right mind blames the troops for it.

You need to find something else to pump up for the 'boo-hoo" factor, because you're coming across like some pre-teen girl who wants something to feel sorry over. Well don't even try to start that rumor, America loves her troops.

[edit on 15-6-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironside

I'm afraid we lost the war because the American people gave up. How can a soldier fight for freedom when the one's they defend spit on them? That's the major problem with America. They blame the military for the Government's wrongdoing.

With everywhere you look you see support the troops and news reports of grand welcome home's... just who exactly is spitting on the troops? And don't say the congressional Democrats... the house just passed an extension of the G.I. Education bill making it even easier for a vet to get a college education and guess what.... not one Republican voted for it. Talk about spitting on the troops.

BTW we are not fighting for freedom over in Iraq. We are fighting for a little man's ego and for oil.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

With everywhere you look you see support the troops and news reports of grand welcome home's... just who exactly is spitting on the troops? And don't say the congressional Democrats... the house just passed an extension of the G.I. Education bill making it even easier for a vet to get a college education and guess what.... not one Republican voted for it. Talk about spitting on the troops.

BTW we are not fighting for freedom over in Iraq. We are fighting for a little man's ego and for oil.
Christian cults have protested at funerals, recently in Portland, they have burned uniforms screaming "# the Troops!" ((pardon my French)) I have been scrutinized myself for deciding to join the Army.

BTW: The soldiers joined to fight for freedom, it's not their fault they fight for
an ignorant man's glories.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Fred Phelps and his ilk give Christianity a bad name.... BTW they are not protesting the war per say, they are protesting the don't ask/don't tell policy concerning gays in the military.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Fred Phelps and his ilk give Christianity a bad name.... BTW they are not protesting the war per say, they are protesting the don't ask/don't tell policy concerning gays in the military.
I don't believe in that policy. I believe people have the right to serve and not have to worry about sexuality.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   

But tell me how the war is lost. It seams we are still there. If it was lost we wouldn't have any troops there. If you look back on WW 2 we seemed to be losing that war for a few years. It seem to me that if the US was allowed to fight an actual war they might have a better chance. Do you really think the US is using all they have in this war...

And do what, Steve? Drop tons of HE from an armada of B52's and level the country? In WWII we were fighting organized armies mostly out of civilian areas. In Iraq, combatants and civilians have become indistinguishable. We can't even know who our enemy is. Are you suggesting that we just wipe-out the entire country and call it victory? Even the Iraqi's can't figure out who's who.

I don't believe any reasonable person has a gripe with the troops. Sure, like in any group there are some bad seeds and some individual m,istakes have been made. Most of the troops are doing what they're being told to do and we all respect them for that. Our gripe is with the US government and their screwed-up decision making and dishonest agendas. We mae a historic mistake invading Iraq. Period. By 'liberating' the Iraqi people all we did is take the shackles off a long-simmering civil war that is going to destroy the coutry --- no matter what we do. No matter how many troops we send in. No matter how many bombs we drop. The situation is unraveling in Iraq and it's spreading all over the Middle East. What we've done is allow a process to start that we cannot stop. We have made the Middle East a far less stable place. And the Iraqi people are paying the price for our goverment's arrogance, stupidity and greed. Noe of this has anything to do with the troops. They don't make the decisions. They do what they're ordered to do. We screwed-up and we owe the world, and especially the people of Iraq, an apology.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I don't believe in that policy. I believe people have the right to serve and not have to worry about sexuality.

Yeah and I believe I have the right to serve and not worry if the guy behind me is busy looking at my ass instead of watching for the enemy.
That is another thread.

What ever happend to Bob anyway?
We have the same spin masters here in the USA.
Remember Rummy saying the "WMD were somewhere north, west, east ,and south of Baghdad"?
How many times did Gonzo repeat the spin/lie that he 'Couldnt recall'?
All politicians lie, but yes, in this case it seems that Bob was right on the money.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Just to qualify: I wasn't make a personal commentary on the war. Simply pointing out the irony that a once ridiculed statement seems to be, at this point in time, accurate (quagmire and all that).

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It seems to me that the people still under siege are the Iraqis. How many soldiers are killed every week? Say about 10, give or take? How many Iraqis are slaughtered every day though? I wonder who it is these "freedom fighters" are truly fighting for. It sure as hell isn't the Iraqis whomever it is.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thanks cutwolf for the walk on memory lane.

I remember laughing and making fun of his speeches, but time as usual has told its story and verified what he said.

Interesting that we forget sometimes that the only people that knows the Iraqi mind is their own.

He knew and warned us but our nations leaders in the pursue of their own agendas made a mockery of his warnings, now look who has been made a mockery off.

BTW our soldiers do what the commanding in chief tells them to do the failures of our elected politicians and their commander is not our soldiers failure.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Don't forget his eternal shrine welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com. You can find lots of other useless quotes from this goon there. You're right though. That prediction is turning out to be more accurate that we first suspected. Of course the even more accurate prediction would be from the movie Princess Bride. "Never get involved in a land war in Asaia".

Most of what he said was complete nonsense.

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."

"We will kill them all........most of them."

"Today I have visited whole Baghdad city, no invaders found"

[edit on 15-6-2007 by dbates]

new topics

top topics

join